#175085  by Darkstar860

I just got in a trade a 1972 Fender Super Six Reverb all stock. Works 100%. My question is, has anyone else tried one of these or owned one ? 6x10in speakers. I think its a Super Reverb circuit ? I may be wrong but i was curious if any of you have more info on this amp. :-)
 #175086  by tdcrjeff

Darkstar860 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:35 pm I just got in a trade a 1972 Fender Super Six Reverb all stock. Works 100%. My question is, has anyone else tried one of these or owned one ? 6x10in speakers. I think its a Super Reverb circuit ? I may be wrong but i was curious if any of you have more info on this amp. :-)
The Super Six Reverb and Quad Reverb were both essentially Twins just with different speakers and cabinet.
 #175087  by Chocol8

Yes, basically if the Twin Reverb wasn't heavy enough and difficult enough to move around, you could step up to a Quad Reverb or Super Six. Same chassis, more speakers. The six is a little bit different than the other iterations because the 5.2 ohm speaker load is matched with the standard Twin Reverb's 4 ohm OT. Also, they can be top heavy and a bit tip happy.

What speakers are in it? They make a big difference in value (and weight).
 #175088  by Darkstar860

It has the stock CTS speakers. I dont plan on using it live. Just going to leave it in the jam room for practices. I already have a Milkman and my SMS setup for traveling with. Was too good of a deal to pass. Its been serviced recently and has all RCA tubes in it. So im quite content. And no lie, it doesnt weigh as much as my Twin combo w/JBL e-120s... not kidding. But it sounds unreal i love it. I dont own any 10in speakers so now i suddenly have 6 ! :-)

Thanks guys for the info.
strumminsix liked this
 #175093  by Darkstar860

Heres a pic of it. Thing sounds great ! Weighs almost 100lbs. 98 to be exact.

Its been modded to Black Face specs. The master volume is not in the circuit anymore etc. It sounds just like my Twin but with a little less bass id say due to the 10 in speakers. If i was to replace the stock speakers, what would you guys look at for a replacement. I have no problem with the stock speakers so far, but im curious for future reference. The Reverb on this amp is SICK !
wabisabied liked this
 #175094  by Chocol8

I would not replace the speakers unless you plan to sell them to me! That said, if you want an alternative to the CTS mid focused sound, I highly recommend the Fat Jimmy C1025's. I have a set in a 67 Super Reverb that I bought without speakers. I auditioned them side by side with the CTS Alnico's and a quad of the Eminence blue frames that are an Alnico CTS clone. The ceramic FJ's have a much broader more balanced response. More highs, more lows. They are not JBL's by any means, but they will get you closer to that ballpark than the CTS Alnicos.

As a bonus, they are a small magnet speaker so they are lightweight, and they are also pretty inexpensive. Don't let the low price fool you, they are very good speakers. The small ceramic magnet just makes them inexpensive to manufacture.

If you want a new manufacture speaker to save the old CTS, but want to keep the sound, look at the Eminence 1028k and the Alessandro GA-59 version from them. Those are both Alnico 10's very much in the same ballpark as the CTS. You could also look for a used set of the "blue frames" from 1990's Fender reissues, or the 1028p's (same speaker) and a paper former version of the 1028k which uses kapton formers.

There are also some good ceramic options from Emi including the hemp coned Canabis Rex for a smoother top end, the GA-64 and a few others that fit specific niches.

I would avoid the modern Italian Jensens. Not a fan at all. I would also avoid Celestions for this amp, unless you want something with a British character in a Fender amp.
 #175113  by Darkstar860

I had a question for yall. I own an antentuator that is a 100watt unit. Does 4,8, 16 ohms. THe load out of the Super Six Reverb is 5.2 tho.... Is it safe to run the antentuator thru the 4ohm ? Or would i need a specially made attentuatoir to do such a thing ?

Thanks folks. :-) Just trying to see if i can get this amp a lil quieter. Begreat if i could run this at 1/3rd the volume or so.
 #175114  by Chocol8

The super six chassis is a Twin Reverb with a different nameplate. The OT is the same 4 output transformer used on the Twin, and it is (fairly) safe with a 2-8 ohm load. The 5.2 ohm nominal load of the 6 is a small mismatch but well within the safe range. Using a 4 ohm load box or attenuator would be a slight improvement, not a problem at all.
 #175115  by Darkstar860

Thank you so much ! :-)

I may turn this into a head and have the cab to use with it. But this would allow me to use the unit with all my different cabs.

So if its putting out 5.2 ohm, than either 4ohm or 8 ohm would be safe is what your saying ? Im just making sure im reading this right.

Also anyone in the North East part of CT or southern part of mass with experience want to come go over this with me ? Just going thru it and seeing what (if anything should be changed). From what ive gathered is it was black faced early on in its like. The master volume was removed from the circuit.

One thing i wanted to ask as well, the reverb tank is in a bag on the side of the amp when its vertically standing. If your using the amp vertically like i am, wouldnt i want that tank to be attached to the bottom inside the cab? Ive never seen a reverb tank installed like this.
 #175116  by Chocol8

That amp is expecting a 4 ohm load. Fender gave it 5.2 which is close enough.

I don't know which reverb tank it has. Fender may have assumed it would be used lying down. There are different tanks for horizontal or vertical mounting but since that amp was meant to be used in either position, they may have used either one. Best guess would be the same pan as the other big amps, and therefore ideally mounted flat in the bottom and not vertical. There should be a part number somewhere that would identify it.
Darkstar860 liked this
 #175117  by tdcrjeff

Darkstar860 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:44 amOne thing i wanted to ask as well, the reverb tank is in a bag on the side of the amp when its vertically standing. If your using the amp vertically like i am, wouldnt i want that tank to be attached to the bottom inside the cab? Ive never seen a reverb tank installed like this.
There are different models intended to be mounted vertically or horizontally.
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/vetical-v ... on.313499/
Darkstar860 liked this
 #175118  by Darkstar860

Thanks everyone ! :-) You guys rock. Tonight im gonna open it up and double check everything. I cleaned the pots and that helped. THis amp is in great condition, but you can tell it sat around. Luckily the caps were redone so thats not a worry. I did have a microphonic reverb driver. I am going to sit the reverb pan on the bottom seeing im not using it horizontally. I like the controls to be up near my eyes and hands. This tank doesnt sound like it wants to be side ways. Once vibration starts out loud volumes the reverb gets messy. I Took the reverb band off the side and laid it down at the bottom and the reverb issues were all totally gone. But ill take pics tonight of the insides of it, as i do this with all my amps so i dont have to open them up more than i need to. This amp really nails that Jerry tone for sure.
 #175121  by Darkstar860

Does anyone know for sure if the chassis of this Super Six Reverb would fit into a Twin Reverb head cab ? Ive had people tell me its the same size. Just double checking as im def looking for a head cab for it. :-)