#175012  by specialmonkey

I picked up this song here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnZ1w9KbPQU
- fantastic instruction - it was a great introduction to using bits of the CAGED system and one of the most satisfying chord progressions (especially the "and that's not gonna change" part with F#m to D to A, etc.) and even more the "written in the letters of your name" [E F#7/A# B G#7/B# C#m F#m7] chord walk down/up bit - (not to mention the [E Dsus2 A f#M] "brave the storm to come" part!) I've always wondered if the walk down/up part actually spells out their name - maybe it's the initials? Does anyone know for sure? If someone wouldn't mind asking Bob? It would be an interesting footnote to know who inspired Weir and/or Barlow in this case.
strumminsix liked this
 #175020  by Pete B.

" It would be an interesting footnote to know who inspired Weir and/or Barlow in this case."
I believe the story behind this song was that Bobby would over-hear Pigpen and Janis Joplin making love at 710 Ashbury when they all lived there, and thought it sounded like a cat fight, but knew better.
strumminsix liked this
 #175023  by playingdead

I had a friend of Bobby's ask him that very question several years ago, and the answer was, no, the chords do not correspond to the spelling of anyone's name.