name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #174803  by Viola Blue

Hello all. So happy to be here. I have been a classical violinist (and Deadhead) for many years and am now trying to jam a little with local friends. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started? Even referrals for sheet music helps. I find if I see the music first I can take it from there a bit.
strumminsix liked this
 #174805  by Jon S.

I'm not familiar with Chadd's Ford - is it a Taurus?

Welcome!

There are so many ways to get started. Listening and playing is my recommendation. If you like video assistance, YouTube is full of free Dead instructional videos. Others please chime in with more suggestions.
 #174808  by OsamaKeefe

Welcome!

My dad grew up in Chadds Ford, cool to see someone else from around there.

Are you looking to jam on violin or another instrument?
 #174811  by wabisabied

Welcome! I did most of my growing up in West Chester. Left for Oregon in ‘92 and I’m still here.

I’d say the Grateful Dead Anthology songbook is a great place to start if you’re looking for sheet music.

amazon.com/Grateful-Dead-Anthology/dp/0897248589
 #174817  by TI4-1009

Welcome! I lived near Lancaster PA for 15 years - I did get to the Wyeth museum in Chads Ford, and the Brandywine battlefield.

For violin- maybe dig up some Papa John Creech stuff. He played fiddle with Hot Tuna and some of the other Bay Area bands, might give you a flavor for an approach.
 #174818  by Jon S.

TI4-1009 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:27 am For violin- maybe dig up some Papa John Creech stuff. He played fiddle with Hot Tuna and some of the other Bay Area bands, might give you a flavor for an approach.
I'm a huge Papa John Creech fan. I caught him live many times with Tuna and his own band, Zebra. But I'd be hesitant (understatement!) to recommend his style to anyone else. No one did screech (literally) like Papa John Creech and likely no one ever again will. :P I'd suggest Vassar Clements instead.
Last edited by Jon S. on Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #174819  by Jon S.

At one of my Zebra shows in the Ratskeller at George Washington University in the 80's, I was sitting in the club at the same table as Mrs. Papa John. What a hoot! She was gregarious and hilarious. She told my friend and me, "These days I have to join Papa John [she called him that, too!] on his tours because if I don't, he'll be snorting up his paychecks and chasing all the young ladies." 5 seconds later, she turns to my pal, Kenny, and tells him, "My, but you sure are a good-looking white boy!" :lol: