name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #128343  by WharfRat42

Pupil because I'm in high school/high school aged.I discovered the Dead maybe a year ago while surfing YouTube. I'm a fan of the Black Crowes and was listening to Chris Robinson's solo stuff when I came to a video of him playing Sugaree. I liked it, found out it was a Grateful Dead song, and found a link to one of their shows - Downhill from Here, the '89 concert. I liked it, listened to them for a couple weeks, then moved on, back to CRB and TBC. I'm kind of surprised, looking back, that it happened that way - I almost think it should have been through the Allman Brothers instead... whatever. I rediscovered them a little while ago and really got into it this time. I was a little better prepared too after spending last year growing my hair out :cool: .
Also, I've been playing guitar for about a year, though I'm told my capabilities (for certain aspects) greatly surpass what would be expected of a year of guitar playing. You see, my teacher just let me pick songs and we'd work on the riffs and solos and some rhythm, and he introduced almost all of those ideas to me through that. Now I can improvise to no end - to think I used to wonder how Jerry could keep up those extended jams! - and can solo just as well... although I can't quite play Freebird yet :lol: . I'm just too lazy to memorize the order. Dorian is a bit more challenging. I'm getting it, even though it doesn't come as easily. But I never learned my notes or chords well - I did everything by ear, so now he's trying to introduce rhythm playing to my abilities and it's coming really slow because I have trouble with even some bar chords! It's coming... slowly.
My current rig is a Gibby Firebird 70's Tribute through some small Fender amps - my preferred is actually this cute little Fender 10 watt Frontman 10G. I have a bigger Fender one... I can't remember the model, it says FM25 DSP on it... my memory's slipped me... the crap load of homework this week has finally gotten to my head... anyway, I don't like the tone it gives me with the powerful mini-buckers playing through it, so I use it as a booster/preamp for the Frontman. I plug the guitar into the "FM25 DSP" (insert model name here), then plug another cable into the head phones jack (because for some reason Fender made this amp with a jack that fits instrument cables), then that goes into the Frontman. It gives my playing more treble and mids - the Frontman by itself, though it can get gritty when you turn up the gain, is a little heavy on base and light on attack. It's good for some situations, but I find what I'm doing right now is better sounding, and more versatile. Odd method of reaching tone, but it works, and it can get pretty loud, too (I still play Crowes stuff in addition to Dead, as well as Allmans and a few other - mostly blues stuff). I have to mess around with two sets of controls, but it has been to my advantage so far. Anyway, that's me.

Hi, how's it going?
 #128349  by tcsned

Welcome aboard Tom! I'm a Tom as well, there are several others here too :-)

It's good to see the younger generation getting into this music. Sounds like you're getting off on the right foot with your playing. I dig the Black Crowes too. I saw them doing the Led Zeppelin thing in North Carolina a while ago. That Sugaree video is cool too. There's some great resources here and folks of all ages talking about some awesome music!
 #128364  by gr8fulbluz

welcome and have a poke around, lots of info here abouts. enjoy.

Funny thing, the Black Crowes opened for the GD, my last Jerry show, in Tampa 1995.
 #128396  by WharfRat42

Thamks for the warm welcome all of you, so far!

tcsned: always great to meet another Tom. You know, if guys in my generation had the same kind of energy as they did in yours, I would have gotten beaten up by now for being a Dead fan. That can still happen in Bridgeport, but for the most part my generation is all wuss - all talk and no bite. Guys rather spend time talking about celebrities and shoes ...? :? Whatever. Works to my advantage. :lol: . That way I only have to be ostracized for being "weird". It's worth it, too. Leaves me with the few sensible people.
Oh, and the Zeppelin thing you're referring to - is that when they played with Page? That was a cool set of shows.

gr8fulbluz: yeah, I think that was when Chris was becoming a Deadhead himself. You can look up shows from that time period (like Glastonbury Festival - his voice is shot but it is an AWESOME performance) and he's wearing Grateful Dead shirts. (Glastonbury - EDDIE had a Crowes t-shirt on, but Chris didn't - it was a steal your face shirt)

kathysanchez: ...not really sure what that website's for but the lion is adorable!
 #128400  by tcsned

WharfRat42 wrote:
tcsned: always great to meet another Tom. You know, if guys in my generation had the same kind of energy as they did in yours, I would have gotten beaten up by now for being a Dead fan. That can still happen in Bridgeport, but for the most part my generation is all wuss - all talk and no bite. Guys rather spend time talking about celebrities and shoes ...? :? Whatever. Works to my advantage. :lol: . That way I only have to be ostracized for being "weird". It's worth it, too. Leaves me with the few sensible people.
Oh, and the Zeppelin thing you're referring to - is that when they played with Page? That was a cool set of shows.
Yeah, it was the Page & Crowes tour - effing awesome. FWIW - I was that guy in high school too. Back then it was new wave, heavy metal, or southern rock. I was the only deadhead in my high school :) I did make a couple of converts and got my metal head buddies to respect Garcia's playing after taking them to Cap Centre '82. They did do me a favor of dragging me to see Ozzy and Randy Rhoads right before he died.
 #128402  by WharfRat42

I can respect Ozzy and Rhandy. Don't like them that much, but if I had a chance like that, I'd take it. It was a shame, what happened to Rhandy... I heard he was gonna go another direction with his life/music.

My high school? No Deadheads yet, but there are a group of Rush fans - part of which is my fault. You see, since growing my hair out, I've been told I look like Geddy Lee. The Rush fans idolize me 8) :lol: ! I'm even called Geddy Lee in the hallway, I get shout outs from them! They aren't bad to hang around, I'm alright with Rush. Or I might try to convert them :smile:
 #128404  by tcsned

Lol - small world. The couple of converts I made in high school were Rush/prog rock guys. I used to play Rush tunes with them after school. Not really a band but the first group of guys I played music with. Funny, one turned out to be a recording studio hot shot working at the Hit Factory in NYC. Another has a pretty successful metal band and another (the first computer geek I knew) does special effects for Industrial Light Magic (Star Wars, etc). And a slacker playing in a Dead band :) fuck the cliques - hang out with the smart kids and misfits. The captain of our football team works at a gas station :D
 #128405  by WharfRat42

Ain't that the truth :peas:

By the way, I do the same thing with the ones that play, only I'll break into other stuff and have them try to improvise. Mostly they just know Rush and Beatles, a little Zep and Pink Floyd. One of them I swear though is gonna be a legend on drums.

"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than those who are most content..." -Bob Dylan
Okay, it isn't suffering, but it ain't always happy either (unlike cliques :roll: ). I'm sure you know how it is though. A community feels things together. By the way, I'm happy to be part of this one, peace to you all, before I get any more sentimental :roll: Coca-Cola and watching Doctor Who until 10pm does strange things to one's head. I'm signing out for the day!