When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #145152  by James-T

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6831912

Gone are the days.....I wrote a post along these lines only to have it lost on my iPhone. I was releived because the next dozen posts were so positive. I then got the bug and mailed away.

And tried for TM. But I'm ok with not going because all my friends also lost out so it wouldn't be much of a fare well party without them.

It does now in hind sight seem simply greed diriven. Hyped up by FB and social
media and created for an after market ticket sellers dream.

I'm so glad I went to Phil's seventy bday party at the SF civic because it felt real. Like a Last Waltz. And the music was epic. Furthur was a tight band by then after a few years of touring and the 3 sets and parade was just like back in tne day. And I got a ticket 2 days before the show for near face value.

It's a read worth reading that Hufgington Post article. And if you are like me and lost out. Well it made me feel OK and I'll be at a small outdoor hippie fest in the rain forest here in BC that weekend anyways hanging with my pals including Courtenay P. There will be some dead related reminiscing for sure.

Peace,

James
Last edited by James-T on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #145154  by TI4-1009

I sent the Huffpost link to some long-time Deadhead friends yesterday and one replied:

"WOW!!! Feeling better and better about letting my allegiances lie in the past. There’s absolutely no reason guys with their stature could not have arranged something themselves to benefit the fans vs. the corporation. Find an airfield or raceway (can anyone say Englishtown), shell out a few bucks up front to the sound boys in Lititz and let it rip. I guess this is what 50 years on from the free concerts in the Haight and Golden Gate Park looks like. Sad, sad, sad."
 #145163  by jester536

I've been an avid deadhead since the mid 70's...I'm naive and a bit too trusting. I've seen a lot written about this whole thing being a money grab. I guess I just see it differently. I think the boys felt they owed it to the fans and the music to do it one more time. I also think they are humble and seriously underestimated how huge an event this would be. I also think they were probably far removed from the business dealings ...We'll show up and play...you guys take care of the rest. Now in hindsight it appears like a fiasco..."true fans" didn't get their tickets...it's hugely expensive, etc. I just don't think it was their idea to throw a huge money grab and ace out a lot of adoring fans.
The way I see it...they didn't really dig how big and crazy the scene got when they were still playing...but they couldn't do much about it then...now the legend has been allowed to grow for 20 years. The business folks knew they could cash in...even if the boys didn't.
Just my thoughts.
 #145166  by TI4-1009

I never thought "the final four" were looking for a cash grab. But once you just turn it over to the business guys, "times being what they are", you risk your good name and good will getting trampled in the rush.

"Things went down we don't understand, but I guess in time we will."
 #145167  by James-T

The winners so far in all of this are the ticket resellers speculating on what the market will bear.

I think this is also a product of excellent marketing. Pent up demand and the power of social media.

Like I said. I got caught up in it too. Mailed away on a whim like perhaps some others did.

I certainly can't afford $200 tickets for all three shows let alone what the current asking price is.

And I think many are in the same boat. I'm betting prices will drop. Just because someone is selling a nose bleed ticket for $600 doesn't mean there is a buyer on the other end.

There has also been a lot of duplicate ticket scams going on and many people are starting to get sceptical about buying a paper print out. I heard about 200 folks at Phils bday show a few years back at a SF Civic bought counterfeit tickets and were shut out and the same thing happened to a good friend at String Chese in Seattle in Jaunary. Plus even the GD website posted that ticket resellers were most likely selling counterit tickets if they were offered early in the process.

It's a crap shoot and a lot of expense to fly all the way to Chicago just to get burnt.

But the band will make a fraction of what the resellers will make if they succeed with thier greedy gouging.

Time will tell. Makes me so happy I got on the Furthur bus and saw my full of shows. I liked Furthur more than the Dead (without Jerry) and I saw that line up a bunch of times too.

But if I had a ticket I'd still be totally stoked.

Peace,

James
 #145170  by James-T

From Aces Back to Back FB timeline. Yet another perspective and worth reading:

The article below about the Dead reuniting in Chicago was an easy piece for Stewart Sallo to write. It mostly feeds off people's disappointment and anger. It does, however, make one important point: Why were Chicago Bears' season-ticket holders allowed to buy tickets to the July shows in a pre-sale ?
As Sallo points out, those ticket buyers most likely make up the incredible number of people who began scalping tickets on Stub Hub before tickets even went on sale on-line.
Mr. Sallo plays tough, and I'm not judging him for that, it's his right, but tough to me means addressing the most-overlooked and important issue here: What about the 25% of the ticket orders that were never opened by GDTS-TOO before the on-line on-sale dates and the people whose orders composed that 25% ? The people who were put into a limbo hell by GDTS-TOO that some are still in, still waiting for their money orders to be returned.
The author also overlooks the "Dear Jerry" event at the Merriweather Post Pavilion and doesn't consider the possibility that there may be more performances from the Dead, either in the Chicago or Merriweather formats.
Mr. Sallo knows there is no way that Ticketmaster could not have been involved in an event held at Soldier Field and that there is no way GDTS-TOO would have been allowed by Soldier Field or Ticketmaster to sell all 180,000 tickets. Predictably, Sallo describes the Chicago shows as "the biggest money grab in history" and blasts both Peter Shapiro and Madison House.
I guess he would prefer the "Core Four" continue to grind it out on the road in every shithole town across America until the road beats the life out of them, like it did to Weir last year. If Chicago is a "money-grab," I personally am all right with that. Shapiro isn't doing this for the cash, he is set there, believe me. If this "money grab" ensures that the remaining members of the Grateful Dead can do whatever they like with their personal and musical futures, considering all that I have benefited from them, I have no problem with any "money-grab" that sets them and their children's child for life.
Sallo makes some valid points, one or two of which I agree with, but is so quick to rush to judgment and so eager to bash the Dead and Shapiro that his points are overshadowed by his muck-raking and mud-stirring.
As I said, this was an easy piece to write, largly predictable, mostly (and needlessly) inflamatory, that makes one very valid point.
Photo of the "Core Four" used courtesy of gdao.org.
 #145190  by Diggey

I think if it was a "grab the cash" effort they would do an entire farewell tour like the Stones or Eagles keep doing. 3 shows aren't going to set them up to live high on the proverbial pig
 #145211  by wolftigerrosebud

They've been trying for 20 years to bring back the magic. They've had good tours, but it's never happened in a way that satisfied the remaining members of the band. It's good they're calling it quits and saying "here, this is it, this is the last one." Good for them. Not an easy thing, surely, but at this point it does seem clear it's the right thing to just move on.
 #145213  by strumminsix

Diggey wrote:I think if it was a "grab the cash" effort they would do an entire farewell tour like the Stones or Eagles keep doing. 3 shows aren't going to set them up to live high on the proverbial pig
I still think money played a part in it. But also celebrating their anniversary too! Can be both!

Keep mind
1 they didn't want to tour together even though most tour with their other bands
2 these big shows require marketers, promoters and insurers. And the core 4 are high insurance risks. Doing this is lower risk vs tour. And Trey lowers risk even more.
 #145216  by Searing75

Keep mind
1 they didn't want to tour together even though most tour with their other bands
2 these big shows require marketers, promoters and insurers. And the core 4 are high insurance risks. Doing this is lower risk vs tour. And Trey lowers risk even more.[/quote]

Risk as in? Losing money on the whole thing?
 #145219  by James-T

And the core 4 are high insurance risks. Doing this is lower risk vs tour. And Trey lowers risk even more.
I heard that too, and that once Bobby could be insured for this gig(s) it opened the door to other possibilities with the core four - hence the rumour that is spreading on FB about Santa Clara shows the weekend before.

It's all speculation - but interesting speculation at that. Insurance companies own us these days. Too bad.

Peace,

James
 #145226  by eric

Just last summer Bobby had to cancel two big festival gigs (Peach / Lockn) last minute.. I know Lockn is Shapiro's so I'd imagine himself and other parties involved are a bit on edge still. It's only three nights but it's going to be a major production.. 4th in Chicago.. I'm sure the live feed will be sweet because they'd also be recording for DVD type release (my guess).
 #145227  by Searing75

Probably around $300 a piece.
 #145900  by James-T

Well here is a nice bookend to my post of days gone by.

It seems Shapiro took notice of the highly critical article in the Huffington Post and made good on it. Go figure!

Got to like this story for sure. :smile: It seems the band plays on. At least on our West Coast. And this time 90% of the tickets are lottery, not 10%. I think most will get to see these shows (or Chicago) if they try hard enough - and I'm willing to bet the Chicago scalper GD ticket market is a (micro) bubble waiting to be burst.

Time will tell.

Peace,

James

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stewart-s ... 41670.html
 #145901  by strumminsix

What's the business phrase? Don't leave any money on the table? So he got them to do 2 more shows and negotiating pay-per-view.