Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #98016  by vwjodyme

i just watched a vid on the major scale for the mandolin and the guy explained it as 221-2221...as in open string, move up 2 frets, move up two more, then one, etc... or moving down to the next string when the notes are the same.

does this also work for guitar?

i suck at memorizing all the boxes so something like this is more usefull to my brain.

if anything at least i finally get the 1st 3rd and 5th for chords are just the order of notes in the scale...took me awhile for the ah ha moment on that one :oops:
 #98021  by tcsned

vwjodyme wrote:i just watched a vid on the major scale for the mandolin and the guy explained it as 221-2221...as in open string, move up 2 frets, move up two more, then one, etc... or moving down to the next string when the notes are the same.

does this also work for guitar?

i suck at memorizing all the boxes so something like this is more usefull to my brain.

if anything at least i finally get the 1st 3rd and 5th for chords are just the order of notes in the scale...took me awhile for the ah ha moment on that one :oops:
Yep, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step. Are the intervals for a major scale. A good thing to learn and visualize for playing melody that helps to break out of playing in boxes.
 #98042  by JamminJommy

mkaufman wrote:fyi...mando's are strung 'backwards', like a violin...

Yeah. If you look at it, a G chord on mandolin, is an upside G on guitar. I trip out on that but I don't know if its helpful...

As for scales, thought, since it's tuned in 5ths, you can actually play a lot of notes in first position. on two strings, it would be "open, 2nd, 4th, 5th / open, 2nd, 4th, 5th" and that second 5th is the octave. its neat once you get the hang of it. Beautiful instrument!

Peace,

Jommy