#97567  by jahozer

I did have my guitar professionally setup for $100. But that was rebonding the nut, refiling the frets, bridge, intonation, etc. It was very thorough. I was happy to pay it. I have done my intonation before, but since its a 79 335, and I never had it set up professionally, I wanted to find whatever may be with it. No matter what I did, it just sounded sour. Now she just sings. I lowered my action and I like the way it plays, but I get no sustain on the bends. I will raise it a tad, soon.

Once a year, I pull all the electronics out, and clean the pots and connections, dress the frets, and clean it with the following regimen.
Its a nitro cellulose finish,
so I clean it with naptha to remove the grime and slightly spread the finish.
allow to dry
Rub it with McGuires Scratch X. Thats right. McGuires Scratch X. Really rub it hard in small concentric circles.
Buff with a microfiber cloth.
Apply Zymol wax.
Buff. Comes up like a mirror!
 #97577  by donkeypunch

rkubik wrote:$115.00 seems really high for a set-up. If I don't do my own my shop charges $40 and that includes the strings.
also it included leveling and crowning of the frets...all frets reglue 6 points....soder work on input jack (dirty)....man did it come out nice though. Just such a beautiful guitar in everyway.
 #97586  by hogan

donkeypunch wrote:
also it included leveling and crowning of the frets...all frets reglue 6 points....soder work on input jack (dirty)...
and happy ending?
 #97588  by RiverRat

jahozer wrote: Rub it with McGuires Scratch X. Thats right. McGuires Scratch X. Really rub it hard in small concentric circles.
Meguiars!
 #97589  by RiverRat

hogan wrote: fret each string at the 2nd and stretch the shit out of the string, repeat on the the first fret and do each string. I've found this usually takes the dramatic string slipping/stretching that occurs out of the string pretty quickly.
check intonation
I just tune to pitch and the pull straight up by pinching the string at the 12th fret... rinse repeat a few times and that gets the windings tight enough to take all the slip and stretch out.