#94504  by peterdjp

Hey guys,

Just got a new envelope filter called the Proton by three leaf audio. It's a clone of a Mutron and it is only the size of an MXR pedal, shweet!
It's made by a bass player so when I got it about a week ago there were no guitar clips so I made a few.

I recenly tried the Hartman. It didn't work so great with my rig but it had a nice core tone.

The proton is a great Mutron in a small package. The only issue is the decay time is a bit faster than a Mutron because the bass players that demod the pedal prefered a faster decay for funk stuff. Spencer, the builder told me it's a simple one resistor change to go back to the longer classic decay time. I will probably change it in the future but it sounds great as is.

It has a very organic tone and is really responsive and fun to play. Does a pretty good Jerry tone. Check one out.

Bunch of clips here:
http://soundcloud.com/alexander-1212/pr ... cia-mutron
 #94634  by peterdjp

Thanks.

They are 179.00 Made by a musician, cool dude, plays bass.

The other guitar in the Scarlet clip is Garcia. The idea was to hear the Proton vs. Jerry's Mutron. The Proton comes in first in the clip. I have had a few EF's that were cool but this one is something special. Fits on a small pedalboard also which is great.

Here are some more clips:
http://soundcloud.com/alexander-1212/tracks
 #94664  by Pete B.

Luv the "Luv u Jer A" clip.
That thing sounds good and the clips really demo the unit.
 #94692  by peterdjp

That thing sounds good and the clips really demo the unit.
Pete B.

Private message
Cool, thanks.

I made those clips on the clean ch. of a super high gain amp that is really a poor pedal platform. I'm in the process of getting a new rig. Should sound fantastic through a good amp.
 #94698  by Arnold's Carnival

Very nice MuIII like sounds coming out of that unit! I hope to demo one soon.

I have a Qtron+, Emma and SWAW. There are things that i like/dislike about each unit. The EMMA is the blandest of the bunch IMO. Qtron+ sounds most like the MuIII of the bunch for me, but is very sensitive to input (duh). The SWAW is the easiest to get good tones from over a wider range of volume, but def does not sound as much like the MuIII as the Q. Probably mostly boils down to not running an OBEL and battling with the sweet spot.

All that aside, great playing and nice tones from the Proton. Nice price too!
 #94710  by peterdjp

The proton is pretty sensitive to the input also but once you find the sweet spot it rocks.

I used to have a Guytron Ultron that you could switch easily between humbuckers or singles, different amps or guitars without much tweaking, it got a wide range of tones but did not nail the mutron sound.
 #96941  by gr8fullfred

Once again I will chime in about my boss FT-2. First of all it has a sensitivity control which seems to be an issue. Secondly you can occasionally find them for under $75. They sound pretty good, standard boss pedal size. I know you guys must be tired of hearing me beat the drum on the boss ft-2, but it really is a pretty good sounding pedal. BTW I do also have an original Mutron-III.

How come all the old vintage stuff sound better than all the new super high tech modern stuff?
 #96943  by rugger

Have you run the Proton on 18v? Could be even better.

John in San Diego