#91739  by zambiland

For anyone looking for more modern Phil tones (pre Eden rig), I would highly suggest looking into the fEARful cabs that are over on Talkbass. They are essentially an open source design, with several configurations. I've been using a 15" with the 6"mid and tweeter. It's powered by a Crest CA9 and I'm using an SMS Classic and/or Eden Navigator (got one stupid cheap on Amazon: $350 brand new with shipping, I think someone reversed the price and the discount figures as it rose to $699 right after I got it). It's an amazing sound. The only caveat is that you have to build it yourself. I've never had a rig that had such easy bomb capability. Everyone on stage says they can hear me like never before. Plus, the price is right.

Anyone want an Acme Low B or a pair of Euphonic Audio CXL-112s? :-)
 #91747  by Rusty the Scoob

You've got me interested! Thanks for the reminder, I've been waiting until after the holidays to start asking around to see if someone will build me a cutkit.

Man, what a steal on the Navigator! How does the rig sound with the F2B and SMS instead?
 #91778  by ugly rumor

I achieved my best "Phil" tone with a Thunderfunk/GB-440 and two Bag End 15"s. Very clear and precise, no overdrive, a little sterile by itself, but great in the mix.
 #91800  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:You've got me interested! Thanks for the reminder, I've been waiting until after the holidays to start asking around to see if someone will build me a cutkit.

Man, what a steal on the Navigator! How does the rig sound with the F2B and SMS instead?
I have a friend here in Boulder who could build you a cut kit. He's a great carpenter and a bass player as well, so he understands the nature of bass cabinets (he was my student and asked me where he could get a good cabinet, which turned into a project where he built a few TL606 cabs, one of which I used on the road with Great American Taxi for a couple years). I've been thinking about adding a 12/6, so maybe we could go in on some parts (the mid drivers are available as pairs from Clair Bros right now for a good price).

The rig sounds great with the SMS! I haven't tried it with both F2B and SMS as that's a bit redundant. The F2B is a little looser in the low end, so the SMS is somewhere in between the F2B and the Eden. My real motivation for getting the Navigator was to get the crossover and some of the other advanced features (the DI out is very good and the enhance knob is a pretty cool effect. The compressor isn't bad). The tone controls are OK, but I'm really a fan of the SMS tonal contours.
 #91801  by Rusty the Scoob

I meant to say and/or SMS. :oops: Didn't expect you to run both at once!

I really like the sound of this plan! My Redhead is getting pretty tired out, I think it's just got too many miles on it. If your guy is willing and shipping isn't too bad, let's do this!