#88848  by tcsned

Good job Rusty! Excellent explanation of the theory when's and why's and put it all together at the end. The webcam actually worked pretty well, was that the built-in mic? From someone who makes a lot of instructional videos for a living, I think you did great!

Too bad there's so much distance between everyone - I would love to start a video instruction project with all the great players on this board.
 #88854  by Rusty the Scoob

Thank you all! It's nice to know that my hasty handiwork is appreciated! :cool:
tcsned wrote:Good job Rusty! Excellent explanation of the theory when's and why's and put it all together at the end. The webcam actually worked pretty well, was that the built-in mic? From someone who makes a lot of instructional videos for a living, I think you did great!

Too bad there's so much distance between everyone - I would love to start a video instruction project with all the great players on this board.
Yep - built-in mic, on whatever Logitech webcam I picked up at Radio Shack yesterday. That bass doesn't sound great through an old guitar practice-amp, but it gets the point across.
 #88882  by paulpos

Rusty

I am very grateful for the amount of time, energy and even $$ you've put into helping me understand this song. Your video is a effective learning tool and I sincerely hope you there will be more to come. 8) If I could request a Part II to this series, it would be exploring the jam section. I'd love to see your approach of the diminshed chords and changes.

To those who are about to learn Phil, we salute you :cool: :cool:
 #88889  by Rusty the Scoob

No problem! I'm very glad that you like it! :cheers:

I can film the jam sometime.... we do the 80's/90's jam in Fennario, it's fun when we get it right. I don't really play diminished chords in the jam, just E Lydian, then F#m (no 3rd), back to E Lydian, then F#m (no 3rd) again, then G#m (no 3rd), then "Flight of the Seabirds". Hit the root on the first beat of each change to keep the band tight, and then noodle on the corresponding scale until the next change.
 #89072  by myoung6923

paulpos wrote: nrelatedly, I used to play sax with Mike Young with the Deadbeats in Denver. I started playing bass about a year ago and haven't touch a reed since - the low end is addictive! Tell Mike 'Dr. Pos' says hello. Small world :-)

DOOOOOOOOOODD!!!!!!!!

How's everything?
 #89075  by paulpos

To Mike: Like the cheese, life is gouda. Two girls, 7 and 4 in school, Michelle is rockin' the free world and I still get to play music. Here's a sampling of my foray into the deep end:

http://www.archive.org/details/dyrtybyr ... rix.flac16

I'm glad to hear you're plugged into a great scene in Mass and your 'Phil' is phenomenal. I learned more from him in this thread than 10 books and videos. Thanks Dan!

Look me up if you're ever back in CO. I'm heading back east for Thanksgiving but won't get up to Mass. Maybe next time.

Cheers mate!

To Rusty: Thanks for the jam video. It's a great explanation of how to approach that space. You've definitely got a knack for making the complicated simple. What's next? Eager 'Phils' want to know.
 #89092  by Rusty the Scoob

You can attach pics to an archive show??? Whoah! I gotta try that!

Band sounds good! You're holding down the bottom nicely, and keeping it interesting. It is way more fun than it looks, isn't it? You get to control the universe.

I'm glad you like my videos! They're pretty fun to make, I'm getting addicted and I learn a lot by making them, too. Currently pondering one on intervals with a little more harmonic science, and then chord structure... but I'm very open to suggestions! Any other songs or concepts you'd like my thoughts on?
 #89095  by Lunchbox16

Consistently good and useful Rusty. Many thanks. If you'd like suggestions for other tutorials I always have plenty of stuff I'm working on/through.

My biggest nemesis is Estimated Prophet. The timing on the intro/verse stuff continually challenges me. I have the tab you wrote out a year or so ago on that, but I still have trouble with the timing. Any suggestions on how to approach that one would be great.

Also, I might throw in The Music Never Stopped. The verses are pretty straight forward but that chorus/bridge (however one wants to label it) I'm never 100% sure on what to play and generally stick to what I think are the roots.

I'm sure there are others, but those are what come immediately to mind. Not to make more work for you, but if you like doin' them....

On a theoretical level, might you discuss the use of modes for a bassist? Modes have always been beyond the pale for me. How do you know when to use them and which ones to use?
 #89101  by Rusty the Scoob

Sounds good! I'll be happy to walk through both of those songs.... I feel like I have them both down pretty well at this point.

Any particular era for Estimated? I've been switching between the '75-78 and 80's-90's versions based on my mood and what bass I'm playing.

On Modes.... I have a lot of thoughts on the subject. The importance of using modes varies greatly depending on the situation - sometimes you have a ton of time to explore one scale like during the jam in Cassidy. Other times you only have time for a quick arpeggio like during the verses of Cassidy, or even just time to hit the roots like under the "Flight of the Seabirds" part - although even on parts like that if you're feeling really ballsy that day, you can hit harmony notes instead of the roots.

Generally while playing I'll think Roots, then Arpeggios, then use the modes to help decide which non-chord passing tones will clash and which ones will help support the harmony. I usually won't overthink things in those cases, I'll just figure out which passing tones that I either like or don't like by trial and error. Like in the E Lydian jam in Cassidy - on the video you can see a couple of times I goof up and hit a brief A instead of the A# - then my ears remind me: "oops, bad note, don't hit that again". Typically I'll start a song off simply and add more and more embellishment notes as things progress.

Maybe I'll make a Modes video, too. It's a lot easier to explain with a bass in my hands than here at my desk. They're really not all that complicated, they're just scale variations that you can approach a couple of different ways.
 #89114  by paulpos

I too would enjoy and benefit from a theory video such as the modes you mentioned. Since this thread is evolving beyond the 'Cassidy bass line' title, perhaps you could start a new one dedicated to your instructional vids, Rusty's Roost or something like that. I'd be your first subscriber :smile:
 #89135  by Rusty the Scoob

There's not a lot of rhyme or reason about where to put threads here... most of us who use the site a lot seem to gravitate toward clicking "view new posts" at the top of the Board Index Screen, that way we see anything new that's going on all at once. I definitely don't deserve my own section, there are quite a few people here who put up great videos, and I've learned way more from RUKind than I'll ever be able to give back.

Unless anybody objects.... I think I'll Song-specific videos in the section for the individual song so future searchers can find them. Theory-only videos, I've been putting in the Think Tank II since that's the designated theory section.

forum/viewtopic.php?f=333&t=9504&start=0

forum/viewtopic.php?f=333&t=9477

Here is my explanation of Modes that was requested.

They're not that complicated, except that there are almost too many different ways to look at them. I went through my two favorite approaches. Hope it helps!