#88401  by Willum

I'm having a bit of trouble with the odd chord change rhythms, mainly the first and third lines in the chorus. Anyone have any advice on this?
 #88408  by hogan

D chord for 3 beats
c#m for 2 beats
A for 5 beats
Em for 2
C for 2
A for 2

then back to
D for 2 beats
c#m for 1 beat
A for 1 beat
Em > A

G /D /A /
"going back home.../turning around .../ better by me... etc
 #88410  by strumminsix

hogan wrote:D chord for 3 beats
c#m for 2 beats
A for 5 beats
Em for 2
C for 2
A for 2

then back to
D for 2 beats
c#m for 1 beat
A for 1 beat
Em > A

G /D /A /
^This^

One thing, for the Bobby and Phil players... "C for 2, A for 2" the back beat of the second beat on the A has a B. It's simple and passing and can easily be missed.
 #88413  by jeffm725

strumminsix wrote:
c#m for 2 beats
A for 5 beats
Em for 2
C for 2
A for 2

then back to
D for 2 beats
c#m for 1 beat
A for 1 beat
Em > A

G /D /A /
^This^

One thing, for the Bobby and Phil players... "C for 2, A for 2" the back beat of the second beat on the A has a B. It's simple and passing and can easily be missed.
\

this is a nitpicky thing,{{removed pointless comment by self}} "C for 2, A for 2".... because that only applies to the first two verses. The 3rd verse pacing of the C to A change is different. On the 3rd Verse the switch to the A off the C is more of an accented "hit" rather than "C for 2, A for 2".

The devil is in the details.........
Last edited by jeffm725 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #88418  by hogan

jeffm725 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
c#m for 2 beats
A for 5 beats
Em for 2
C for 2
A for 2

then back to
D for 2 beats
c#m for 1 beat
A for 1 beat
Em > A

G /D /A /
^This^

\

this is a nitpicky thing, but another thing I look for when playing this with someone is to see just how much time they put into really learning the song is seeing how they do the aformentioned "C for 2, A for 2".... because that only applies to the first two verses. The 3rd verse pacing of the C to A change is different. On the 3rd Verse the switch to the A off the C is more of an accented "hit" rather than "C for 2, A for 2".

The devil is in the details.........
I can't tell from your post if you're breaking my balls or if I'm just reading too much into it. Your first line seems a bit like you're calling me out for being lazy or unlearned. You're right the 3rd time through is, what a I call a "hard" or deliberate C to A.
 #88435  by jeffm725

Hogan,

..i could see how you infer some ball breaking there....... but not what I meant at all !!! (not that i dont mind busting balls from time to time or have mine busted in return :-) ) .....I gotta learn how to work this internet message board doohickey a little better in regards to translating intent :?

I dont even know what my point was with that!!!!!! but it certainly wasnt supposed to convey the message that it obviously did. I ahve Nothing but respect for everyone on this thread in specific and the board in general. Certainly have learned much more from you guys than I have given back!
 #88479  by jeffm725

Willum wrote:I've got the beats down, but I'm having trouble syncing up the vocals with it, specifically the "Keeps on Pouring in" part
Willum it IS tough. There is no secret to getting it down other than practice,practice,practice. I would recommend playing it and singing it while listening to your favorite version and just doing it over and over until it becomes second nature. It is tough because the vocal meter and chord meter are independant of each other. Another technique would be break them down separately. Play the chord figure alone until it is ingrained into your muscle memory and you are not thinking about the rhythm at all. Then do the same with the vocal part. After both are automatic, put them together.

What is most likely happening right now is your brain is locking in on one rhythm. So when you start singing you are defaulting to the rhythm of the chords.

It needs to be like a good piano player where the left hand and right hand work totally independant of what the other is doing rhythmically.

It is not easy.
 #88481  by strumminsix

It's like rubbing your belly in a circle and patting your head.

It can be done easily if you do both without thinking about them.

It can be done simply if you do one without thinking while concentrating on the other.

But you cannot concentrate on both :)
 #133843  by zambiland

hogan wrote:
I can't tell from your post if you're breaking my balls or if I'm just reading too much into it. Your first line seems a bit like you're calling me out for being lazy or unlearned. You're right the 3rd time through is, what a I call a "hard" or deliberate C to A.
For those of us with a more conventional musical education (not that it's better or anything, there are just conventions), it's called an anticipation. In Nashville, they call it a push. It means that the chord change comes on the 8th note previous to the downbeat (or any beat, really).

Definitely on the third time only.

I love playing this song!