When it doesn't fit anywhere else

#8566  by b weird

What exactly is or was the "Blue Book ?" All the songs look like they're from a songbook.

#8568  by shakedown_04092

b weird wrote:What exactly is or was the "Blue Book ?" All the songs look like they're from a songbook.
The "Blue Book" was an old Grateful Dead lyric/tablature book featuring many/most of the GD's material, but not all of it. It was, as it's name states, blue on the cover, with black writing on the front...not quite sure exactly what it said. It was my first lyric/tab book, and got me through many a song, correctly or incorrectly as it may have been. I carried that thing with me through high school like it was one of my school books.

One common problem I've encountered (as others here have also stated) is that, as with any "interpretation" of songs, there are more than a few eronious tabs in the book. That is to say, according the the consensus (of which I agree), there are a lot of tabs in there that are not accurate, at least in terms of the Key the author had presented them in.

Still a great book, though, and I'm glad someone took the time and energy into producing it for all of us to share & learn from. I've long since lost my copy to misplacement, but am thankful for having it as long as I did.

#8578  by strumminsix

That "blue book" was what got me into playing GD tunes. It sold for about $15 buck and had lyrics and chords for most GD songs.

As stated above keys were wrong and so were some chords but it was the perfect for the beginer or a to grab to play guitar around the campfire.

It's more common than most people realize. I've had it now for 10+ years and I've known countless people who have it as well.

I didn't get online until late 2000/2001 so for me that book was a lifesaver of learning tunes and lyrics.

#8580  by jahozer

sure do! Before the onslaught of tabs on the internet, that book was a godsend. Much as Olga, and of course this site!!!
Hats off to them all!!!

#8582  by strumminsix

To me this wonderful site and it's evolution nearly followed mine.

I started not knowing many dead tunes tunes and some guitar skill --> then I got the blue book

Then I got better, started writing down corrections in it and making my own charts --> then I found this place

With this place I saw other perspectives, proper keys, help with intros --> then I found this community

This webboard is just great collaborating with y'all. Can't imagine how this could get better!!

Ooh, wait, we're doing vids now, almost forgot!