#83702  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Again, last night: setup amp very trebbly with just enough bass to not sound thin, strong mids. Then EQ'd out the highest end. Very close.

But I've suggested this a few times already....
Strummin,
Totally agree on your recipe to get in that ballpark. Not a doubt. Just knowing MK as I do :smile: he is not going to rest until he gets confirmation of the full signal path on track 9 cd 1 of rehearsal A on the 3rd Tuesday of Feb 1975!
You may be right, but his question was, "How would one describe and reproduce this sound? "

I got it easily, actually.
 #83703  by mkaufman

Strummin,
Totally agree on your recipe to get in that ballpark. Not a doubt. Just knowing MK as I do :smile: he is not going to rest until he gets confirmation of the full signal path on track 9 cd 1 of rehearsal A on the 3rd Tuesday of Feb 1975!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bingo!
 #83704  by jeffm725

I used to have a HD130 as well. Great Clean amps!

They are the opposite of the standard jerry rig in that the Pre-amp section of the Musicman is solid state and the Power section is Tube!
They have stupid amounts of power.
 #83705  by mkaufman

tigerstrat wrote:Jerry appears to play the Boogie, which also appears to have a K120 and power tubes

Bob's cab looks to be perhaps a Musicman with back removed, one K120 is visible out... never seen a 2x12Musicman cab like that but the hardware and construction looks right... perhaps associated with the HD-130 head he uses with a Cerwin-Vega cab at 9/28/75?
Jerry - Boogie
Bob - MusicMan

That would be consistent with my understanding of 1975.

So...I guess we can't see if Weir is mic'd?

mk
 #83706  by mkaufman

jeffm725 wrote: They are the opposite of the standard jerry rig in that the Pre-amp section of the Musicman is solid state and the Power section is Tube!
Jeff - that really depends on the year. I have the original HD-130 Reverb, with is all tube. Solid state came later.

http://pacair.com/mmamps/Misc__Info/Mod ... chart.html

mk
 #83707  by mkaufman

strumminsix wrote:Again, last night: setup amp very trebbly with just enough bass to not sound thin, strong mids. Then EQ'd out the highest end. Very close.

But I've suggested this a few times already....
Strummin - I hear ya - just need some time to try it. My ears are telling me JBL's w/ metal domes...

mk
 #83710  by tigerstrat

mkaufman wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Jerry appears to play the Boogie, which also appears to have a K120 and power tubes

Bob's cab looks to be perhaps a Musicman with back removed, one K120 is visible out... never seen a 2x12Musicman cab like that but the hardware and construction looks right... perhaps associated with the HD-130 head he uses with a Cerwin-Vega cab at 9/28/75?
Jerry - Boogie
Bob - MusicMan

That would be consistent with my understanding of 1975.

So...I guess we can't see if Weir is mic'd?

mk
we see a mic stand in front of Jerry's Boogie, but not in front of Weir's cab, or the drums. I'd call these rehearsal shots.
 #83711  by jeffm725

mkaufman wrote:
jeffm725 wrote: They are the opposite of the standard jerry rig in that the Pre-amp section of the Musicman is solid state and the Power section is Tube!
Jeff - that really depends on the year. I have the original HD-130 Reverb, with is all tube. Solid state came later.

mk
interesting....and cool. Mine was the solid state/tube combo...didnt know they had an all tube one in that model as well. learn something new everyday.
 #83725  by tigerstrat

jeffm725 wrote:
mkaufman wrote:

mk
interesting....and cool. Mine was the solid state/tube combo...didnt know they had an all tube one in that model as well. learn something new everyday.
in the late 70's the HD130 changed to having a solidstate preamp and tube power... the opposite of the post-1972 Garcia approach.
 #85452  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I was gonna say that. At first Weir had that chimey top end like a JBL at low volume, but it's SO hi-fi on top, and real dry sounding and does sound like a tube preamp going direct. Maybe a JBL, maybe direct. Pickup-wise, it sounds like some combination of humbuckers and singles. I don't know what that guitar had for pickups, but it kind of sounds like the warmth and fatness of humbuckers, and then a single added for the sharp, crispy edge.

Perhaps a warm, fat setting with the bright switch on.

Brad