Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #82258  by javalina

When you guys talk about practicing arpeggios on guitar, what specifically are you talking about? I know that they are chord tones played one at a time instead of all together, but the possibilities seem kind of infinite. What fingering patterns are the most useful to practice when you're starting out?
 #82277  by javalina

I did that, learned 'em on the keyboard. When applying that to the fretboard, do I want to concentrate on playing them in each position first or start off playing them across two or more positions?
 #82280  by ugly rumor

The more the better. Why limit yourself?
 #82283  by jackr

Try to be able to hit an arpeggio from wherever you are on the neck. And work on them not starting on the root.

I am working on that now as well. Seems the more I learn the I realize just how little I know.
 #82293  by strumminsix

Seems that arpeggio exercises should also integrate chord voicing...
 #82338  by javalina

Oh, I get it "help". Took me a minute. Those are some great videos, thanks. I found some diagrams for major 7, minor 7, and dominant 7 arpeggios; five box-like positions and two stretched out ones for each. Doesn't look as bad as I had feared; seems like I did most of the heavy lifting when I learned the modes, and these should fall right into place. The diminished ones are going to have to wait a while.

This is some fun! You guys are great for answering all these questions. It is really helpful for me to get input from more experienced players. I don't know if I'm just not bright enough to figure this all out myself or what. It all seems so obvious after you tell me (and I have a little time to think about it). Not so obvious before, though. Thanks again!
 #82353  by Pete B.

strumminsix wrote:Seems that arpeggio exercises should also integrate chord voicing...
fwiw, The CAGED thing is also an Arpeggio goldmine.
Arpeggios that integrate Chord Voicings you say?... [is there a such thing as arpeggios that don't integrate the chord vocing???].
The "Touch Of Grey" solo is played almost entirely out of the chord voicings.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SteelYerFac ... OWTQI8Af9M

I noticed if I do a YouTube Search for "guitar arpeggios jerry garcia" or "guitar arpeggios grateful dead" I get alot of stuff.
 #82354  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Seems that arpeggio exercises should also integrate chord voicing...
Arpeggios that integrate Chord Voicings you say?... [is there a such thing as arpeggios that don't integrate the chord vocing???].
I think many players use arpeggios because it sounds pretty or not as full as a chord.

But it's important to know your voicing of say 1 3 5 1 3 or 1 3 5 1 3 1 vs 1 5 1 3 5 1 or 1 5 1 3 5 or 1 5 1 3

When to use each and why. How the former sounds more guitar esque while the latter grouping will sound more piano esque and could collide with the piano player, etc, etc...
 #82355  by Pete B.

strumminsix wrote:
Pete B. wrote:
I think many players use arpeggios because it sounds pretty or not as full as a chord.

But it's important to know your voicing of say 1 3 5 1 3 or 1 3 5 1 3 1 vs 1 5 1 3 5 1 or 1 5 1 3 5 or 1 5 1 3

When to use each and why. How the former sounds more guitar esque while the latter grouping will sound more piano esque and could collide with the piano player, etc, etc...
Agreed. Those forms also play in with Jerrys use of Banjo-Roll style/technique when he does that high up hypnotic spacy yet minimalistic stuff.

His job is to shed light...
:hail: