When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #8177  by phreaker

If you've ever paid attention to any of my posts, you would probably know that I am in love with the music of Split Lip Rayfield. They're the only band I'll choose over the Dead. I tour with them for a couple shows at a time every once in a while, and I just saw my 15 or 16th show last night. I started seeing them in 2004.

I've met all the band members, so I know them better than most fans. They are, without a doubt, the nicest group of musicians I've ever come across, and you wouldnt guess that from listening to their music.

If you know who Split Lip Rayfield is, you would know that their "Frontman" Kirk Rundstrom was diagnosed with cancer in late January. The night Kirk found out he had cancer, he went ahead and decided to finish the tour. The show they played that night was recorded, and released onto CD: Live at the Bluebird. One of the best and most emotional live Cds out there.

It was just announced this week, that two months ago, when the doctor tried to operate on him, that the cancer has spread. They have since stopped giving him treatment, and gave him 2-6 months to live. Again, that was two months ago.

(this is long, but please keep reading)

In the possibly final months of his live, he decided to book a tour. Their 2nd show back was at their favorite venue, The Bottleneck right here in Lawrence. The show last night was the most energetic one I have ever seen. I choked up and almost cried a few times during it, knowing that the man jumping around playing guitar only had months to live.

When the band did the whole "over here on banjo, we've got Eric Mardic"...crowd cheer..."guitar, Kirk Rundstrom"...crowd cheered for a whole 3 minutes, the loudest I think I've ever heard.

Seeing him up there, all bald, pale, and skinny nearly killed me. He is my hero. I literally think of him in the same way most of you thought about Jerry. He has changed my life through his music, and I would like for all you to expirience this too.

go to www.splitliprayfield.com for tour dates. I know their going up to Chicago, and then down to Texas. If you live within 100 miles of any gig, please, please, please at least THINK about going. about 99% of the money earned at these gigs are going toward Kirks family. If you really get into them, they've got a new live cd, new live DVD, a whole lotta new shirts, etc...for sale at their shows. Again, all proceeds go toward the Rundstrom family.

If the doctors prediction is right, Kirk will die touring. If you can't respect that...I'm not sure you even have a heart.

#8183  by whitelacestrange

wow, sad news indeed.... the mans got spirit.

i will check them out

#8184  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Thanks for the tip Phreaker, I will definitely give them a listen.

#8191  by hesgone95

Sorry to hear that man. They're a great band. I got turned on to them a few months ago by you. Bummer. Take it easy.