#80804  by oldjoebones

Thanks for all the replies so far...a lot to digest and consider. I will most likely go with the pre-built 1 x 12 route for now. Not sure which one yet though........I can always upgrade when/if the time comes. Ill pick up some pedals for effects and start re-learning the stuff all over again.
 #80813  by alcorelectric

OJB,
I think you might be better off with a fender twin (there is one for sale on the board now with JBLs)
As far as pedals go, I dont really use them much Though 1970s era multi effects from Ibanez would give you alot of options.
For the guitar, an Ibanez musician would get you really close.
This is the setup I have and, though not perfect gets me really close.
BTW I just picked up a 74 Quad Reverb in a "twin" 2/12 cab, speakers wired parralell, and the sound is amazing.
HTH
T
 #80814  by tigerstrat

For the stated need, I'm with the low-to-mid wattage, point-to-point wired Fender amp recommendation: 60's-70's Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb, or '82-'86 PR "II", DR "II", Super Champ.

I don't have much experience with Blues Jr or Super Champ "XD" or GDEC but those are all PCB(printed circuit board)-construction and, since you said budget isn't much of an issue, I figured you might as well get an older, generally more reliable classic point-to-point amp. If for some reason you'd rather go newer, then maybe one of these last three, or the Princeton Reverb Reissue might be my pick for PCB-constructed.

Then no matter what you get, probably upgrade the speaker to JBL or possibly one of new neodynium types. But I do think a 2x12 (cab or combo) is *huge* overkill for domestic playing. I play every gig, including the occasional large stage, with a JBL-loaded 1x12 cab or a 1x12 combo, and never come within hailing distance of my volume ceiling.

But if you can afford it, DON'T skimp on getting the guitar you really want "until you learn more"- a really fine instrument can inspire you to learn faster and better.

FX? That's a whole other thread. Just dive in and enjoy. One of the joys of farting around at home is knob-twisting on your FX and mixing and matching and switching the order...
 #80843  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

+1 on the aforementioned '60's-'70's Princeton Reverbs. And like Tiger said about a nice axe inspiring you, a well prepped Princeton Reverb will do the same. It's light, it sounds amazing at low volumes and let's face it, if you are very driven to play better, you'll be playing a couple of hours minimum a day, and your ears shouldn't pay a price. Not to mention, loud playing masks a lot of technical inefficiencies we may have on the guitar.

That being said, my '67 PR is just a treat to plug into every single time. At lower volumes, I can't think of an amp that sounds better.
 #80844  by jester536

Money is always an object for all of us...but it sounds like you've got some cash and want to set things up right...If I were in that position I think I would probably start with the AxeFx. I don't have one but would like one. Sounds to me like a good practice rig...all the pedals you would ever need in one unit...could work that through headphones at home...get yourself some nice stage monitors for playing out. The signal for me is that there are some guys on this site that have spent years putting a rig together and have switched due to the power of that rig. Something to consider.
 #80845  by Chuckles

I'm gonna go with Tiger and Crazy 9.5 above... if you've got the money and want to get better, you're going to be much better served by getting some quality gear that fits your immediate needs. My best buddy who just sat in with us this week has an old Guild electric just like yours that his son is now using to learn on... it's a great guitar and you could certainly modify it to "Jerry specs". And a low-power amp like the Princeton will please your ears and keep things under the ridiculous volume level so that you will keep coming back to it because it sounds so good. Add pedals as you please - that's half the fun, finding the ones that work best for you.

But, if you're serious about learning how to play Jerry-style leads... you're going to want to put in the time and nothing will make that more appealing than having equipment that is well-suited for that specific purpose. This may seem a weird analogy... but if I wanted to become a better golfer, I'd be much more inclined to go to the range more often with a set of clubs that suited my swing and particular feel than a set that the pros use... just sayin'. Good luck with it!
 #80847  by JonnyBoy

I think the new amps that have recorded jam loops like the line six spyder Jam and Fender Gdec 3.0 are great for keeping your chops up or learning how to have rhythm while soloing. I use them often and practice new difficult faster licks over and over in different keys and tempos so I'm ready to play them on the fly. I am continuing to learn more about the neck and am always ripe for playing with the band after a few days has passed without playing together. Its like having your own band in a box you can bring every where. I am currently looking at the newest Gdec 3. that has an SD card recording and track looping and hundreds of "Real Band" loops to practice over. There is nothing better to help develop chops than to get out there and put all that book knowledge to use. Plus it does a flawless Blackface model for low volumes, as Jerry as you can hope for.