#68937  by strumminsix

You guys are nuts! 2 reasons and I'll be as concise as possible:

1 - all the Philly talk without:

2 - my PA friends agree, provolone is the cheese of choice on a cheesesteak
 #68940  by jeffm725

strumminsix wrote: 2 - my PA friends agree, provolone is the cheese of choice on a cheesesteak

No, No. no! no? NO!

in my world it aint a real cheesesteak unless there is a giant can of cheez wiz sitting on the grill.

Not saying that provolone or american or anything else isnt fantastic on a cheesesteak, it is, but I think one of the requirements of a truly authentic Philly Cheesesteak is cheez wiz.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ ... eSteak.htm
 #68941  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:
strumminsix wrote: 2 - my PA friends agree, provolone is the cheese of choice on a cheesesteak

No, No. no! no? NO!

in my world it aint a real cheesesteak unless there is a giant can of cheez wiz sitting on the grill.

Not saying that provolone or american or anything else isnt fantastic on a cheesesteak, it is, but I think one of the requirements of a truly authentic Philly Cheesesteak is cheez wiz.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ ... eSteak.htm
How can you call it a cheesesteakk when you don't put cheese on it?? :lol:
 #68944  by tigerstrat

South Philly's greatest cheesesteak chef:
 #68948  by dleonard

Water under the bridge, Chuckles. I'm glad to be done arguing with a fellow Dead fan / guitar player.

Gonna throw this out there...It's at both Pat's and Steve's. Did anyone ever wash down the cheesesteak with a Cherry soda? No idea who makes it as the tap just says "Cherry" but it is out of this world.
 #68977  by jlg327

dleonard wrote:Gonna throw this out there...It's at both Pat's and Steve's. Did anyone ever wash down the cheesesteak with a Cherry soda? No idea who makes it as the tap just says "Cherry" but it is out of this world.

Absolutely right! I had it at the original Steve's. Had never been to that one before, but a friend convinced me that I had to go. The most amusing part was that, in order to get to THAT Steve's, I had to drive by the newest one (Bucks County) and then again by the one on the Boulevard near Chickie's!
 #74819  by Mick

I grew up outside Philly, I never liked Pat's steaks, and Cheese Whiz is nasty stuff. Maybe the last two things are related.

White American Cheese is the ONLY cheese that I really want on a cheesesteak. I will eat them with provolone, but american cheese really gives it that Philly flavor.
 #74869  by studied_4_acid_test

I live 10 minutes outside of Philly (south jerz). Pat's is the way to go. There's something special about that grill (it hasn't been cleaned in 50 years). As for Yuengling - 1 of my top 3 favorite beers. Whenever I venture out of the Yuengling distribution area I make sure to bring the gift of a frosty 12 pack to share the wealth.
 #78451  by JonnyBoy

jeffm725 wrote:
When someone says "What would Jerry do" (or say, or act)........

I say that "Jerry would have smoked a speedball, said "Fuck off"; slammed the door in your face and then devoured his cheesesteak" ........ THAT is what Jerry would have done............

Amen :lol:
 #78453  by JonnyBoy

As for cheesesteaks

I don't know if they are still there, but when I lived in Philly over 20 years ago, actually Gwynedd valley near hwy 202, Palermo's pizzaria made the best CS in the State. I've tried all those cheesewhiz tourist attractions, but these guys mad a 3 foot belly buster drowned in fresh provalone. I am missing them till this day. :cool:
 #91598  by Mick

studied_4_acid_test wrote:I live 10 minutes outside of Philly (south jerz). Pat's is the way to go. There's something special about that grill (it hasn't been cleaned in 50 years). As for Yuengling - 1 of my top 3 favorite beers. Whenever I venture out of the Yuengling distribution area I make sure to bring the gift of a frosty 12 pack to share the wealth.
Yuengling is undoubtedly good stuff, I had one just yesterday! However, after living in the NYC area for nearly a quarter century, I have grown more fond of Brooklyn Lager.
 #91601  by Rusty the Scoob

Good thing we're in the Cream Puff War Zone because I've tried Yeungling several times and have not once found it even slightly appealing. I know a ton of people who think it's great but I just think it's bloody awful.

For comparison, I'm kind of a beer nerd but not a beer snob - IPAs are my thing but I'll happily drink Bud/Miller/Coors/Whatever Lite beer if I'm watching a game or something where I'll drink a lot of them and am feeling cheap or don't want a buzz.

:hd: :cheers:
 #91639  by Mick

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Good thing we're in the Cream Puff War Zone because I've tried Yeungling several times and have not once found it even slightly appealing. I know a ton of people who think it's great but I just think it's bloody awful.
Well, then you are obviously a booger-picking moron.

Actually, that's a joke. I like beer. I have made a few beers of my own too, so I know a little bit about it, but I am sure I am far from an expert. I know lots of people that don't like Yuengling. The best part of the beer universe is that it is very wide, so there is room for all kinds of tastes and preferences. Smuttynose IPA is one of my favs too. In fact, I have said a few times that if you set me up with a case of Brooklyn Lager, a case of Smuttynose IPA, and 2 cases of Bud 12 oz. cans, I'd be just fine for a few weeks, happy too. IPA is not for everyone, lots of folks don't like the bitterness of something that hoppy. I like that bitterness, so much that Brooklyn's "East India Pale Ale", is good stuff, but a little weak for me when it comes to IPAs.

:cheers: