#63472  by Billbbill

Another one. part 2 in the SB forum

Some niiiice clams by me - about 3 in 40 seconds, all around the 1 freakin note that changes in the scale - brain lock I suppose - otherwise a decent effort. And yes, I did cut another brain fart neglecting the 2nd verse and singing the 3rd verse twice. At least I can say i didn't have the words in front of me!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6pfva/site ... s/eyes.mp3
 #63492  by Chuckles

LMAO.... I have that same "AAAHHH!" absolutely, 100% nailed!

Don't know if it's my bad internet connection down the shore or if the recording levels were too hot or what (it really had a lot of hiss on what I could hear here...), but the guit seemed a little too fuzzy for my tastes. The playing (and inter-playing) were fabulous, however! You guys are way onto something.

Who are y'all playing with? Bass, keys and drumz deserve compliments too!
 #63499  by Billbbill

Chuckles wrote:LMAO.... I have that same "AAAHHH!" absolutely, 100% nailed!

Don't know if it's my bad internet connection down the shore or if the recording levels were too hot or what (it really had a lot of hiss on what I could hear here...), but the guit seemed a little too fuzzy for my tastes. The playing (and inter-playing) were fabulous, however! You guys are way onto something.

Who are y'all playing with? Bass, keys and drumz deserve compliments too!
:lol: Yea,that's pretty much a universal "AAAHHH!" whether spoken or just thought!

I'm not using any distortion or OD here though I an using my Blaster pedal. I usually don't have that at more than 1/3 of the way and it doesn't usually break up the signal at that setting. I think it's a combo of the rec level of my guitar (amp was miked) and the recording itself. Not nearly as fuzzy (though still a bit) when I converted to wav and burned to disc. In real time I remember it being pretty clean.

The 'other guys' aren't registered here (mkaufman-guitarist/vocals is) so i'm reluctant to name names though first names certainly do no harm.

Bass/ b/u vocals and reluctant recording gizmo guy is Greg.
Drums and itchin' to gig is J.P.
Keys and brandy new (these recordings are his 1st jam with us) is Ken (Ken Keys(ey-tehe)
And of course Mr. Kaufman on rhytm guitar/vocals.

Thanks for the support Chuckles - on another note (and I'm sure you're familiar w/this story) our most recent jam this weds nite was somewhat disjointed and rough. Wasn't our night. And to top it off we left the recording 'pause' button on the whole time, thus no recording! Maybe mercifully so!
 #63505  by Tennessee Jedi

Billbbill wrote: Wasn't our night. And to top it off we left the recording 'pause' button on the whole time, thus no recording! Maybe mercifully so!
Dang H4 ( H4N in your case )......
Been down that road plenty of times.
Bill - you just hit record and do the whole jam on one track ?
Tough to edit that way ..... you got a secret trick for me ?
What do you use for a editing program ?
Bill
you guys sound real good
Dont be too hard on yourselves - I know Heads and they want things to be perfect - you guys are on on to some good stuff. Great energy !
Share the magic with the world not just your buds here !
:smile:
 #63512  by hgregs

probably as good a time as any to come out of my shell. i'm the bass player, and the guy w/ the sound equipment.
Tennessee Jedi wrote:you just hit record and do the whole jam on one track ?
this was my first time using the h4n, and yeah, i let it run for the whole session, using the pause/rec buttons. it created 2 2gig files (one for the stereo recording off the directional mics, and one for the stereo off the board). the manual says that if you hit the REC button, it will insert a time-mark. there was a separate mark file (i never opened it, but i assume it has all all the time stamps for easier editing). i was hoping that these marks would show up in an editing program, but using audacity, i didn't see anything. this was my first time using audacity as well. the recording levels were definately too hot, and i was learning the controls during mixing. so within audacity, all i did was look for the wavs to narrow (visually) to locate the beginning/end of the song, then use the "snap-to" function to set the beginning/ending times. audacity seems like a great program - and it's free. i'm sure there easier ways to mixdown from what i did - but hey... it's my first time. don't know if that's the secret trick, but that snap-to feature will mixdown only that time-portion to a new stereo 2track (from the 4track), which is then exported to MP3 for emailing. let me know if there's any other questions.

i love this h4n for simple 4track recording. i hope to experiment with just the onboard directional mics next time and save directly to mp3 to save some time (both setting up and mixing down is taking more time than anticipated).

greg

btw - love this site. i use it for the tab during our sessions from my laptop.
 #63535  by Billbbill

hgregs wrote:probably as good a time as any to come out of my shell. i'm the bass player, and the guy w/ the sound equipment.
Tennessee Jedi wrote:you just hit record and do the whole jam on one track ?
this was my first time using the h4n, and yeah, i let it run for the whole session, using the pause/rec buttons. it created 2 2gig files (one for the stereo recording off the directional mics, and one for the stereo off the board). the manual says that if you hit the REC button, it will insert a time-mark. there was a separate mark file (i never opened it, but i assume it has all all the time stamps for easier editing). i was hoping that these marks would show up in an editing program, but using audacity, i didn't see anything. this was my first time using audacity as well. the recording levels were definately too hot, and i was learning the controls during mixing. so within audacity, all i did was look for the wavs to narrow (visually) to locate the beginning/end of the song, then use the "snap-to" function to set the beginning/ending times. audacity seems like a great program - and it's free. i'm sure there easier ways to mixdown from what i did - but hey... it's my first time. don't know if that's the secret trick, but that snap-to feature will mixdown only that time-portion to a new stereo 2track (from the 4track), which is then exported to MP3 for emailing. let me know if there's any other questions.

i love this h4n for simple 4track recording. i hope to experiment with just the onboard directional mics next time and save directly to mp3 to save some time (both setting up and mixing down is taking more time than anticipated).

greg

btw - love this site. i use it for the tab during our sessions from my laptop.
Hey man - welcome aboard - finally! A lot of good bass guys in here to yak with as well.
 #63536  by Billbbill

DenverEd wrote:Interesting. Our band has been working up a pretty cool jam from Scarlet>Eyes.
I've seen that the dead had done that combo - not sure about Eyes>Scarlet. It was mkaufmans suggestion mid coming out of the eyes jam. You can hear us talking about it. In other words it wasn't planned! Except maybe by Mike.