#53451  by Billbbill

So I started messin w/ my jamman again - got the peddle now to swich between clips. Pretty much playin with myself (tehe) the whole way through here though the rhythm seems a bit lower after the upload to yt. Not the greatest edit on the verse loop - kinda messes me up a couple of times - then I a got a tad fancy on the end jam loop and that posed a couple of problems as well. So, in summary, it's a bit loose in a few places but I figured what the heck. If anyone is interested in the intro tab I'll post it. It's a bit different than the one I posted in the other thread in the Deal forum. That one was a bit off.
 #53452  by jonarobb

Tasty phrasing on the solo, nice! Couple notes missing on the intro riff but sounds killer nonetheless.
 #53453  by b weird

Dude, Bill YOU CAN PLAY! Sweet ass solo! I'd be very interested in the intro if it's no problem. Also thanks for playing it on the ol' acoustic I always wanted to hear it on an acoustic. Peace.
 #53455  by Billbbill

Thanks guys - Here's my intro tab
E|--------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------------
G|-----2--------2----------2-----2--------2---------
D|-----2--------2-----2H4--------2--------2----5p4p2--
A|--0-----4--0-----0----------0-----4--0-----0--------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

Hey jonarob, please post what I'm missing - This is my second look at this lick - my previous thoughts in the tab in the other thread was way off. I guess I'm slowly zeroing in on it! :smile:
 #53457  by George

Bill,
Great work!! Just a short note to say I really enjoyed your video and your playing. You seem to be getting bettter and better with each video - both in terms of playing and singing. Onward and upward my friend, some very nice work indeed. Thank you for sharing!
 #53491  by ronster

I play the intro like this:
Code: Select all
|-----|-------------------|--------------------|
|-----|---2-------2-----2-|----2---------------|
|-----|---------2---2h4---|----------2---5p4p2-|
|-3-4-|-0---3h4-----------|--0---3h4---0-------|
repeat the last 2 measures and go

Bigger question, what chord comes after F#m?
This site lists it as A C#7 F#m E D7 Ao
Bill and jdarks play it as A C#7 F#m A D7 Ao
The dead song book and I play it as A C#7 F#m F#m/E D7 Ao

The E just does not get me there. The F#m with an E bass note(D string) is the same as the A if you do not hit the E string. I do not play the C# note, just barre the 4 high strings. How do other people hear it?
 #53494  by Chuckles

ronster wrote:I play the intro like this:

The E just does not get me there. The F#m with an E bass note(D string) is the same as the A if you do not hit the E string. I do not play the C# note, just barre the 4 high strings. How do other people hear it?
I play it just straight F#m D7 Ao (essentially the same as Bill and jadarks - who knows how many strings I hit?), but if you absolutely must be busy and have another chord in there to notate, the A works best... if you want to think of it that way (I still consider it a partial Fm). I find in a full band situation, the little things like that are more dependant on what everyone else is playing anyway...

But no.. got no use for the E at all...
 #53499  by Billbbill

Chuckles wrote:
ronster wrote:I play the intro like this:

I play it just straight F#m D7 Ao (essentially the same as Bill and jadarks - who knows how many strings I hit?), but if you absolutely must be busy and have another chord in there to notate, the A works best... if you want to think of it that way (I still consider it a partial Fm). I find in a full band situation, the little things like that are more dependant on what everyone else is playing anyway...

But no.. got no use for the E at all...

This was the $64k question in another thread a while back. I, until very recently, had been playing the E. I guess the descending line that dominates the progression F#-E-D-Eb was influencing me. After watching a couple of vids it's clear jg fingers an A7 and a few on this board take that view. Try as I might after listening to a whole bunch of versions I couldn't really hear that G note. And playing it I feel the straight A chord sounds smoother anyway but the above referenced line (F#-E-D-Eb) is really the key for the jerry part. I believe someone (mttourpro?) thinks its an E the first time through and A(7?) the second or vice versa. The Rockpalast vid seems to show the same position both times through, fwiw.

It kinda seems to me like he's only playing the D and B strings for that pasage so it'd be something like this

----F#m------A--------D7-------Ao
E|--------------------------------------
B|--2-----2--2-----2--1-----1--1-----1--
G|-------(2)------(2)------(2)------(2)---------
D|-----4--------2--------0--------1-----
A|--------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------

the (2) is the A that is a constant throughout the way I'm playing it for a fuller sound.
 #53500  by Billbbill

George wrote:Bill,
Great work!! Just a short note to say I really enjoyed your video and your playing. You seem to be getting bettter and better with each video - both in terms of playing and singing. Onward and upward my friend, some very nice work indeed. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks George!
 #53504  by Tennessee Jedi

Billbbill wrote:Thanks guys - Here's my intro tab
B|--------------------------------------------------
G|-----2--------2----------2-----2--------2---------
D|-----2--------2-----2H4--------2--------2----5p4p2--
A|--0-----4--0-----0----------0-----4--0-----0--------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

Hey jonarob, please post what I'm missing - This is my second look at this lick - my previous thoughts in the tab in the other thread was way off. I guess I'm slowly zeroing in on it! :smile:
Jerry slides into the " A " chord at times. Gots to do that ! Maybe hammer into the 4th fret C# from the C ...
:cool:
There are great Deal licks on the '87 Cali Dvd ( View from the Vault series )- you can see Jerry's hands well.
How 'bout someone tab out the cool Jerry end riff ? The lick during the build up crescendo end of song part thing.I can never hit that one bend he does every time ...
:?
 #53517  by ronster

Here's how I end it. A little diff then Bill's as I don't want him coming after me for royalties:
|-------------------|-------------------|------------------|------------------|
|-------------------|-------------------|------------------|-------------2s14-|
|-------------------|-------------------|------------------|-------------2s14-|
|-----------2-2-4-4-|-----------2-2-4-4-|----------2-2-4-4-|-4p2---------2s14-|
|-0---3h4-----------|--0---3h4----------|-0---3h4----------|------4-2-0--0----|
|-------------------|-------------------|------------------|------------------|
Hey Bill your getting these videos down pretty good but they are missing that little something. Ever consider lopping off a chunk of your middle finger? Just a thought, but it would make the videos even more jer like. I picked up a C-1 classic on ebay. I liked the tone your getting out of yours and for 4 bills seamed like a no brainer. Should be here in a few days. I'm thinking of starting up a BillBill tribute band.
 #53519  by Tennessee Jedi

Thanks Ronster
I meant the riff after that;after the last A is sounded and the drumz do their thing,Jerry does a pentatonic type riff.
He has a bend he does I never hit.
:cool:
 #53524  by ronster

From an 83 JGB show i get something like this, move up 12 frets if you have an electric handy:
|----------5-7p6p5----------------
|------5h7---------7p5-------------
|--5h6------------------6--6bs1--
|--------------------------7bs2--
|----------------------------------
|----------------------------------
bs stands for bend the shit out of and slide down
Does that sound anything close to what you are after? That would be hard to get the jer sound in the bend on an acoustic.
 #53525  by Tennessee Jedi

ronster wrote: bs stands for bend the shit out of and slide down
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Yeah thats the riffage I was looking for ....
No git box here at work though. I'll try it out tonight ....
:smile: