#51519  by trking8

Short version: how about taking a version of “eyes” and each us breaking down a piece of it?

Longer version:

I took the 9/8/73 version of “eyes” posted above, extracted about 1 minute of jerry’s solo and slowed it down to about ½ speed (same pitch and fair clarity). There are just so many freakin notes.

One important thing: while I could play some (some) of the riffs and scales, there are some phrasings that don’t sound authentic unless you use different fingering. This is really evident in some of his walk downs (e.g., around 2:57 into the 73 show)

Jerry developed very unique fingering early on and this carried throughout his career. Even later, more sophisticated jams still have this underlying “accent” at its core.

That’s why I suggest breaking down an earlier version of “eyes”, b/c it provides the building blocks for later jams.

Any thoughts - - other than this is totally OCD (obsessive compulsive deadhead)? Anyone else not afraid to admit it?...lol.

Thanks,

Terry

p.s. I could extract and slow down portions of any sound file/solo. Where and how to post results?

#51557  by trking8

uh...or not.

t

#51558  by jeffm725

nah I am with you...Its a time thing....

I like your idea, it would be cool for example to take something like the the 9/3/77 englishtown eyes .have one person do the intro, one person do the first solo section, one person do the 2nd solo section

#51565  by Pete B.

Hey Team,
I need the little Jerry lick that is at approx 9:05-9:08 of the DP15 Eyes (Englishtown).
This is the A-chord moment of the EMaj7>Bm>A jam, where he does a quick slide up to the first note of a fast descending run over the A-chord.

Dudes...
I bought an 8Gig CF card for my Canon digital cam.
'Biggest card i've seen, on sale at Fry's.
Went to "Did'nee Land" last weekend, SeaWorld too, took tons of pics.
Decided to work up an Eye's vid yesterday, did 5 segments.
Brought it to my computer and it locked up upon loading the 1st vid file.
The card was wiped clean!
I mean, it even needed to be reformatted before it would work again in my camera.
Ouch!
Looks like we have to go back to So Cal!
Ouch.
That one hurt.
I'll work on the chord solo vid again today.
pete b.
Last edited by Pete B. on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

#51566  by Tennessee Jedi

I'll work on the chord solo vid again today.
pete b.
X-mas is coming early this year
:cool:
Any of you guys do the 70's ending ?
G#m jam ?
Any one have any thoughts on a arrangement ?
:?:

#51572  by tigerstrat

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Any of you guys do the 70's ending ?
G#m jam ?
Any one have any thoughts on a arrangement ?
:?:
I call it the "Eyes 73-74 Outro" or something like that. Also jokingly refer to it amongst band members as the "Yes-Yes, No-No, Jam" after the girl in the audience on the GD Movie version shaking her head and nodding. Some people inexplicably refer to it as "King Solomon's Marbles" even though the two are very distinct.

My band used to do the 73-74 style Eyes fairly frequently; it kinda dropped off our radar once Estimated> entered heavy rotation a couple years ago. Part of the reason being that the jam out of Estimated is much more conducive to segueing into Eyes at a faster tempo than it was generally played in 73-74, and at higher tempos the Outro is much harder to pull off smoothly and musically. Plus our drummer at the time never dug playing Eyes at that semi-lazy, lolling, blissful tempo, always tended more towards the more breathless 78-82 speeds (which I also dig). Fastest Eyes I know of is 2/27/81

#51575  by Tennessee Jedi

I think there is a Dm in there too
I see it as
1 - G#m/Emaj7 jam
2 - Dm part
3 - the 'riff' G#m
I never come to a satisfying arrangement
:cool:

#51578  by trking8

hate to say it, but I don't have the file (Etown "eyes").

does anyone have it, or is this accessible through the archives? as I mentioned, I can extract portions of it and slow it down.

very, very interesting.

terry

p.s. and thanks for all the variations on the chords - - it really opens up huge possibilites for leads, too

#51579  by jeffm725

yeah in my circles we always called it the stronger than dirt jam, but it is not that either, this is really its own jam

here is the way we had it arranged,
before I get there, by the way, there is also an Ebmin in there which is subsituted for the G#min on the last time before it goes to the single note odd time "riffs".

Also there is a diminshed chord in there,in the midst of all this, I call it eb dim7, (I know, I know could be c dim7, or Gb or A!!!)
here is the fingering of where I start the diminshed and then I obviously will swing it down 3 frets up 3 frets, up 6 frets, up 9 frets. The normal dimisihed inversion like you would do on Let it grow or slipknot.

x diminished7
E|------5------
B|------4------
G|------5------
D|------4------
A|-------------
E|-------------

Anyway,

Here is the arrangement leading up to the 'riff"
note: this is how we arranged it, the Deads arrangement was loose and pretty musch different almost every night.
It does help to have a set number of bars arranged as to keep the band tight>

Here goes...

Riding along in emaj7

and then:
1st time:
G#min 8 bars >>>>Emaj7 8 bars

2nd Time
G#min 8 bars>>>>Emaj7 8 bars

3rd time
Ebmin 4 bars>>EbDim7 4 bars>>Emaj7 8 bars

4th time
Ebmin 4 bars >> To Riff **

Riff repeats 4 times and then Goes to the Dmin for 8 bars, after 8 bars of Dmin, the whole "Riff">Dimin sequence repeats (we did the "Riff" >>Dmin sequence 4 times and off the 4th Dminor instead of going back to the riff we would hit back to the Emaj7 ....Not exactly what the boys did, but effective

#51580  by jeffm725

Here is the Riff:

(Bobby)

The 6,6,8,8 is a very quick downward rake that you slur:

E|------------------------------------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------------------------------------
G|---------------8p6-------------------------------8p6--------------
D|------------8---------8--6--8-----------------8---------8---6--5--
A|---------6--------------------------------6-----------------------
E|------6--------------------------------6--------------------------

Jerry does (almost) the same thing starting at the 11th fret instead of the 6th,
but instead of the downward rake being:
11,11,13,13 (to mirror the 6,6,8,8
he does:

By the way, this is NOT an exact science...you will hear a million different interpretations from a million different versions.

This is just my take, YMMV
Last edited by jeffm725 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

#51581  by jeffm725

trking8 wrote:hate to say it, but I don't have the file (Etown "eyes").

does anyone have it, or is this accessible through the archives? as I mentioned, I can extract portions of it and slow it down.

very, very interesting.

terry

p.s. and thanks for all the variations on the chords - - it really opens up huge possibilites for leads, too

only audience versions are available at archive, one of them is pretty clear though. However, DP15 is the version to learn from because it is so clean sounding

#51582  by Tennessee Jedi

thanks Jeff
looks great !
I'm checking out DP'S # 19 (10/19/73) Eyes now ...
:D

#51583  by jeffm725

Before this thread derails into confusion, let it be known for future viewers of this thread that there are 2 VERY different Eyes of the worlds being discussed:

A) The Englishtown 9/3/77 jazzy chord soloing eyes, as can be heard on Dicks Picks 15

and

B) The 73-74 Eyes "outro" jam (king solomons...stronger than dirt....yes,yes,no,no or whatever else it may have been labeled through the years) as evidenced on DP19 and numerous mid 73 through end of 74 eyes. Where they would do it different every time and sometimes not at all!

#51584  by Tennessee Jedi

Multi -tasking .. Dead style ....
:D

#51585  by trking8

here's what I found for Etown:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-0 ... 650.flac16

like I said, I'm tempted to play with the 73 version first b/c it has some underlying techniques and fingering that are essential for learning jerry's approach.

man, I got a lot to work on now! thanks guys,

terry