the way jerry did it...

e-----------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------------13-----14--15-
G-----------------5-----5--6--7--9--11---12---14----14--------------
D--0--2--4--5--7-----7-------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------

#4514  by Billbbill

I'm pretty sure jerry did a lot of bending. Probably partly why he screwed it up so often. W/O my guitar in hand, your notes do look correct though.

#4527  by tigerstrat

I don't recall any where Jerry bends much, a lot of finger vibrato though. Bob does some bendy stuff behind it. I like to start it from the 5th str, 5th fr, and I HATE when I am playing bass on it and forget and go for the ascending rather than desending figure... or vice versa when playing guitar. pitfalls of playing both instruments.

#4528  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:I don't recall any where Jerry bends much, a lot of finger vibrato though. Bob does some bendy stuff behind it. I like to start it from the 5th str, 5th fr, and I HATE when I am playing bass on it and forget and go for the ascending rather than desending figure... or vice versa when playing guitar. pitfalls of playing both instruments.
+1 on all points

Bobby goes for alot of 1 & 3 sort of power chords here on the versions I learned from. What I hear Jerry doing is more of a hand-trem on the strings instead of bends.

But, I've heard some shows where Jerry goes into some bends and hammers and pulls and I know he usually avoids them.

Ahhh, the beauty of the GD. Each version has something special to offer!

#4529  by Billbbill

Well I suppose I was trying to give him a better excuse for what seems to be an inordinate amount of clunkers during this walkup. Simply missing the fret is er, well, a little weak.

Of course it's the jam to follow and the end jam that really make or break the tune. I'm also partial to the instrumental buildups within the verses that get more intense as they work towards the walk up.

Too often I've heard those clunkers on the walk up. But alas, us heads are a very accomodating and forgiving lot. You couldn't be a head and not be.

Re:

#94600  by Tennessee Jedi

tigerstrat wrote:I don't recall any where Jerry bends much, a lot of finger vibrato though. Bob does some bendy stuff behind it. I like to start it from the 5th str, 5th fr, and I HATE when I am playing bass on it and forget and go for the ascending rather than desending figure... or vice versa when playing guitar. pitfalls of playing both instruments.
So the Bass line descends ?
What about Bob ?
So Jerry ascends and the rest of the band descends ?
:?:
 #94602  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
So the Bass line descends ?
What about Bob ?
So Jerry ascends and the rest of the band descends ?
:?:
Jerry descends the first time, ascends the second
Bobby descends both. I don't hear much Weir bendy stuff. He plays partial chords.
 #94605  by Tennessee Jedi

Hhhhhmmmmmm.
Working this one up for the butchers block ....
Not as straight forward as I thought ...
:drink:
 #94606  by Rusty the Scoob

Bassline descends both times, 2nd time is exactly the same as the first but down an octave. Couldn't tell you the notes with 100% certainty without a bass in my hands, so I won't try. I always try to play the last couple of notes a little late and sloppy for authenticity's sake.
 #94608  by ugly rumor

I play D, C, B, G, F, G-A-B-C-D, C, B, G, F, G-A-B-C-D usually, although sometimes I vary and instead of playing the F the second time, play A, then B-A-B-C-D. It's Phil...you're supposed to be creative!!
 #94610  by Grateful Dad

strumminsix wrote:Try this for the Bobby part:
Code: Select all
d---4---2---------------
a---5---3---5---5---7---
e-----------7---3---5---
Cool! So basically Bob harmonizes the bass line an octave higher with two note chords using the third tones on the D, C, and Bm chords and the fifth tones for the G and A chords:

D - C - Bm - G - A

Can't wait to try it out!

:smile:
 #94628  by raisingfreen

Any one every notice the subtle similarity of "Morning Dew" and Widespread Panic's "I'm Not Alone". Every time I hear it I imagine Jerry singing/playing this. Seems to be the same tempo etc... Is that crazy? or is it somewhat similar? The walk up would sound great if Jerry did it.

|--2--2--2--2--/10-8-7---------------------|
|--3--3--3--3----------10-8-7--------------|
|--2--2--2--2-----------------9-7-5/7-7----|
|--0--0--0--0------------------------------|
|-----0-----0------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|
 #94662  by Pete B.

Hey Gang,
Hey grab a guitar and give this two-note Morning Dew Walk-up/down exersize a shot.
You know what it is supposed to sound like, so play the right/left hand parts in a Jerry/Phil-ee manner, like with a deliberate pause between each group of notes on lines 1 and 3, and quicker on lines 2 and 4.
You can re-arrange/change it as you hear fit, 'just a fun way to play both parts as a solo.
Lines 1 and 3 are counterpoint.
Lines 2 and 4 are octave and inverted root/3rd.
End with a big open D chord.

E|---------------------------
B|---------------------------
G|-----------------------2--
D|--0----2----4----5-------
A|--5----3----2-------------
E|------------------3----2--

E|-----------------------------
B|--1----0----1----2----(3)--
G|----------------------------
D|----------------------------
A|--3----2----3----4----(5)--
E|-----------------------------

E|-------------2----3----5--
B|--3----5-----------------
G|--------------------------
D|--------------------------
A|--5----3----2------------
E|------------------3----2--

E|--8----7----8----9----10--------2--
B|----------------------------------3--
G|----------------------------------2--
D|----------------------------------0--
A|--7----6----7----8----9------------
E|-------------------------------------

Play along with Jer and Phil starting at 5min:30sec:

Oh Brother...
Did ya hear the "Nazareth" Youtube of Morning Dew?
 #94666  by tcsned

Pete B. wrote: Oh Brother...
Did ya hear the "Nazareth" Youtube of Morning Dew?
Cool! Just a bit heavier than Jerry and the boys :-)

The first version of this tune I ever heard was Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart on the Truth record.