#35054  by willmusic

Can anyone give any examples of the phaser settings Bobby used on any given songs? I mean any songs. I guess it's that "the more you know" thing. I just wanna know more and if anyone can help I'd be really appreciate it. Thanks!

#35056  by strumminsix

Which era?

#35073  by tigerstrat

there's 72-74 with the... what was that? too lazy to look up... name started with an "O".

then there's a Phase 90 or 45 clearly seen in the 9/28/75 and 10/9/76 pix.

But in 77, the story goes that John Cutler modded Bob's phaser effect(which one the story doesn't say) to be controlled remotely by a volume pedal for a precision foot-operated sweep, as opposed to a constant "rate". So he used it a bit like a wah from that point. Listen to Bob's comp part in Shakedown and it'll just pop out at you.

The Parachute or Parapedal wah has a ganged double pot and the 2nd pot seems to be controlling a phase type of effect that is synced with the wah circuit itself... really scary sounding pedal! The Tycobrahe original is ultra uber-rare; Chicago Iron does the replica-clone.

#35081  by willmusic

Sorry if I didn't specify an era, but I guess I'd really like to know more about the early to mid 70's. Thanks Tiger. I'm gonna search for more on the wah/expression mod you were talking about. I know of digital multi effects that have that feature, but I'd like to see it on an analog single pedal.

#35089  by mkaufman

Do any of those commercial phasers actually get Weir's Shakedown sound??

mk

#35103  by Darkhorse014

I think when it comes to phasers i jus pick what sounds cool, like i use this "black" phaser on my processor that can sounds pretty sick

#35110  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:Do any of those commercial phasers actually get Weir's Shakedown sound??

mk
Not to my ears?

He sounds like he uses a Phase 45, 90 & envelope filter @ diff parts of the song.

#35144  by BuddhaG

anybody on that early 70's phase sound??? it sounds like he is using maybe a phase in 69 on some songs but that is probably just his tripped out playing.

edit: like on Dark Star with those awesome rhythm fills, soo smooth.

#35206  by IamDocWatson

anyone have any idea what type of efx bob has been using lately...if u see ratdog alot u know what i mean...that like chomp chomp effect hes been using since spring 06...

#35211  by tigerstrat

BuddhaG wrote:anybody on that early 70's phase sound??? it sounds like he is using maybe a phase in 69 on some songs but that is probably just his tripped out playing.

edit: like on Dark Star with those awesome rhythm fills, soo smooth.
Not before 1972 or possibly 1971 considering what I've actually heard of 71 is the tip of the iceberg. Oh and the "O" I couldn't think of was Orban- but it was a reverb unit. From the GD Newsletter:
Bob currently plays a Gibson 335 guitar. He uses such special instruments as an Eventide Clockwork Digital Delay unit for repeating notes and creating an echo-like delay of different sound colorations and textures. A Eventide Clockwork work phaser system, an Orban/Parasound studio reverberation unit. Another accessory is an Alembic Parametric Equalizer (a flexible tone circuit) which gives him complete control of frequency responses by enabling boost or cut adjustments at any or all of three band-widths. The sharpness of the boost or cut can also be controlled
By Oct 1974, in Bruce Polonsky's Winterland pics you can see Bob plugged into what looks like a Foxx Foot Phaser, which by the way can be set for a controlled sweep.

#35242  by shakedown_04092

IamDocWatson wrote:anyone have any idea what type of efx bob has been using lately...if u see ratdog alot u know what i mean...that like chomp chomp effect hes been using since spring 06...
I'd like to know too - it's a pretty sweet sound & tone whatever it is. I love it - classic Bob.

#35250  by Dozin

Bob uses a bunch of stuff. He's into the TC gizmos

His rack changes a lot but I took this pic last tour.

#35252  by BuddhaG

goddamn that is a fucking intense rack man. that is the most intense rack i've seen other than on some fine ladies that walk around the montreal area. hehe.

but really, hes got so much technology on there APART from the F/X that its not even funny. i guess after 40 years of playing with musical equipment you figure out how to use all those different power/sound/tone sculpting tools. fuck man, i bet an electrical engineer would have a good ol' time checking that thing out.

back on topic... i really want a phaser, i love that trippy swirly sound. footpedal controlled variable rate would be ideal for maximal usage in different contexts but that may be out of my price league. first things first, i need to get a tuner to put in my line before going to f/x... i am just running guitar>amp right now.

i've just been doing research and narrowing down brands/models of various f/x for a while now. slowly figuring out what i want as i learn to recognize which effect is being used while listening to recordings that i like.

edit: NOOO, I LOVE BEING AOXOMOXOA, CAN I GO BACK PLEASE??? I just can't stand the thought of never being one of my favorite albums of all time ever again. oh well, i guess it actually is just a passing symbol anyway... and we all wanna get to jerry in any case.
Last edited by BuddhaG on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#35254  by Dozin

I don't really hear a phaser in shakedown st. but I do hear this once in awhile.

Ibanez AF-9

#35255  by Dozin

BuddhaG wrote: i bet an electrical engineer would have a good ol' time checking that thing out.
Bob definitely likes his racks :shock:

Back on topic:
He is adamant about who touches his shit. I believe only he and Vadim his tech can touch it. Check out the back of his rack. I left the image big so you can read it.:lol: