#32560  by spacehead333

I just got a boss compressor/sustainer, and i was needing some advice as where to place it. I use a boss super overdirve, mxr distortion +, and phase shifter, a boss autowah, a dd-6. and a cry baby. Im just wondering how i should fit it in. Thanks

#32576  by tigerstrat

Place right after the signal path... :-)

#32577  by bucketorain

i place mine in this order:

guitar > enevelope filter > octave > od > distortion > COMPRESSOR SUSTAINER > eq > (modulations) > AMP

#32580  by wisedyes

Generally, the compressor should go first in line; that is, right after the guitar.

#32581  by Laytonco

I was looking on this site and gearheads because I've seen an explanation before. I use mine at the beginning of my chain and the reason I did that is I got advice to do that. But, try every which way and see what YOU like best. Then do it that way!

Peace,

Gil

#32582  by strumminsix

IMO, after your filters but before your OD.

#32590  by High Peaks

Before i got the GCX ,I started running my Comp after the filter. Then i tried it before my envelope filter and found that it helped the filter from just blotting out on certain notes.( sorry for blotting, can't think of a better word right now)
Then i realized it was the settings on my filter. When i adjusted them, the compressor would just squash any dynamics to the filter. So, all that being said-- If you have touble controlling the dynamics of your filter, put it first. If you don't, put it right after. Before the OD.
This is just my humble opinion.

#32591  by strumminsix

High Peaks wrote:Before i got the GCX ,I started running my Comp after the filter. Then i tried it before my envelope filter and found that it helped the filter from just blotting out on certain notes.( sorry for blotting, can't think of a better word right now)
Then i realized it was the settings on my filter. When i adjusted them, the compressor would just squash any dynamics to the filter. So, all that being said-- If you have touble controlling the dynamics of your filter, put it first. If you don't, put it right after. Before the OD.
This is just my humble opinion.
Well said and agreed. Or you could say...

If you use a compressor as a compensator put it before your filter :lol:

#32596  by shakedown_04092

tigerstrat wrote:Place right after the signal path... :-)
:lol:

#32619  by High Peaks

If you use a compressor as a compensator put it before your filter

Exactly,lol!!!
It just took my a small essay to say that.

#32854  by bucketorain

this may be a silly question, as i have a boss compression sustainer, i get what sustain is, but what does the compression part do? to me, compression sounds bad...as MP3's are bad because they are compressed versions of the original signal.

#32869  by strumminsix

bucketorain wrote:this may be a silly question, as i have a boss compression sustainer, i get what sustain is, but what does the compression part do? to me, compression sounds bad...as MP3's are bad because they are compressed versions of the original signal.
A compressor evens out levels. bring ups the soft brings down the peaks.

Are you a math dude? If so think of a graphed line and remove the standard deviation.

Want it super simple - makes your volume consistent.

However it sucks out dynamics.