#28862  by CountryMile Cadillac

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
Go with an acoustic one. You will be much happier with the instrument

Even though he stated in his opening post that he specifically wants one to plug into an amp?
A couple of post have pretty much said what I meant as well. As far as initial cost, sound, preformance and being a instrument to have for a while, I would go with a nice acoustic. You can get a lot of nice pickups so that you don't have to "stand in front of a mic". Also if you get an acoustic, get a nice bridge put on it to increase the acoustic volume of the instrument, and in my mind you be better off. This way, but hell I don't know

#28867  by pharewellphish

bobbybobbob wrote:I love the sound of an electric mandolin on effects. Can anyone give me any infomation about Michael Kang's (String Cheese Incident) mandolin and setup? He is AMAZING!!!

http://www.emando.com/images/players/Kangolin1.jpg

one of kangs old mandolins was on sale a while ago on craigslist i think... it explained everything about it but i cant find it now

as far as mandolins go i dont know what to get but i definitley recommending starting it (for anybody) its a lot of fun and helped gimme new ideas on guitar too

#28893  by mutant_dan

I have been playing mando for years and if your want to go electric you should stay away from the double course intruments. The double course just doesn't work going through effects directly into an amp.

Check out Jonathan Mann at http://www.manndolins.com he will build you an electric just like Tiger for about $1400. Nice stuff...

#28955  by HansDerTans

Holy crap those manndolins are beautiful. I can't afford anything like that quite yet. I can really only go for something in the $300-$400 range.

#29474  by Tennroots

Greetings,
New to the site this is my first post, so i can't link URL's yet but try out these sites for mandolin help, they're awesome, video lessons, tabs, forums.
music moose dot org
mandolincafe dot com

i started w/ a Michael Kelly mandolin and upgraded to a Weber after a year of playing & lessons. There is a big difference in tone quality & playability, i.e. fretwork & spacing up the neck.
hope this helps you.
"pick it clean"

#29482  by gratephulphish123

ker1227 wrote:rogue makes a decent beginning mando, $50, it gets the job done
i have this mando and it gets 0 jobs done. fretting it is like drilling for oil with a toothpick, it never stays in tune and it has terrible sound quality