#25150  by big_river_bum

i hope yonder doesn't fill the void. their scene is perfect the way it is. we don't need a bunch of baggage to bring the rest of us down. yes, they are bluegrass and a band without drums and electric guitars won't attract as many people, but they have been playing with some drummers(futureman/fishman)and are exploring more amplified music. they did sell out red rocks so they've grown but i expect a recession(well, at least i hope) the band deserves everything they've accomplished

#25194  by tigerstrat

spacehead333 wrote:YMSB will never fill the void. the are only bluegrass. cheese was almost everything. Yonder will not be able to do the electronica shit, and other stuff like that. i dont think the next cheese has arising yet. chew on that
Cheese everything? If wallpaper makes a house, I guess you might be correct.

Yep, let's hope YMSB don't devolve into electronica B.S.

#25256  by krzykat

STS9 is great if you are looking for a placce to just get down,check them out

#25261  by big_river_bum

just watched some of their stuff on youtube. not my cup of tea, but i thought the whole reversal of roles is cool. in that the melody is repeated by the keyboardists and they improv more with the rhythm through the bass and drums

#26215  by jjbankhead

well i for one like UM a lot. I don't know why so many people on this board are so down on them, while you may not apreciate their style, their musical ability and creativity are more abundant than any of the "up and coming" artists i have heard of late. I for one have never been all that impressed with WSP and feel had they been coming up now they would not have experienced the following they have, i believe they benefited from the time of theie emergence and lack of a "jam" scene. just my opinion. I love Phish to death, and i seem to think that my becoming conscious of music in the late 80's and early 90's having grown up with bands like Primus, RHCP, the Dead MIlkmen, Fugazi,fishbone, Jane's Addiction, The Pixies and other band's at the time deemed "ALTERNATIVE MUSIC." my affinity for band's like PHISH and UM stem from the similarities i hear in their music and creativity to the bands i grew up listening to.

any way

while not a jam "BAND" i think Keller Williams deserves a nod on this thread, as do the Mike Gordon and Leo Kotke project albums. these are two "bands" or Groups or artists or whatever that i would call in sick to go see. I am a believer that there is a ton of good music that still exists,

i could care less about how loaded you can get at the parking lot of their show and more about how blown away i will be by the music of the band i am going to see. Hence why i refuse to pay 150$ to see the stones bang away at the old tunes i can hear on the radio for free.

regardless of Phil's singing ability he has put together some great line ups and the shows have yet to cease to amaze me, most of which i listen to on cd theese days.

the last Phil show i have been too happens to be the 1st time i saw Umphery's at back in 2005, for the mardi gras show in SF. Umphrey's blew my mind, not only do they sound tight as a collective unit each member of the band seems to me to have complete mastery of their instrument. i walked in thinking i was going to see some old fogey jug band open up and was captivated by what unfolded before me. there has not been a band in RELIX or any where else that has stoked me like i was stoked by UM.

the only other band i have seen live and was taken completely aback by were the funk brothers when they opened for the dead back in the 2003 new years show in Oakland. they tore the roof off that arena and not a single tune was played off the mark. they had this Mahelia Jackson-esque woman on the stage who probably did not need a microphone to be heard at the top of the arena. phenomenal show.

on a side note there is a local band where i am from called The Kung Fu Conspiracy who are pretty fun to hear. They have some videos on you tube and have a myspace page, they are very small time out of Modesto good musicians great guys and they recently did some recording with former members of tower of power. I have been having fun the few times i have been able to go out and see them play and its nice they are local and play gigs near home.

A couple of other mentions of bands i think people should hear are two bands from SF that i happen to know a few members of:
Judith & Holofernes i know all 4 members of this band they play a blend of a traditional Folk music know as FADO and blend their Punk/indy rock back grounds (there are no power chords or mo-hawks involved) Chris and Tracy the two singers have very good singing voices and the Potugeese 12 string guitar chris palys has a phenomenal sound. They have CDs avail through Vangaurd squad records and should be checked out

The Last of the Blacksmiths these guys have a really neat soft country rock sound reminiscent of American Beauty or working man's Dead. You really have to hear them to under stand

#26246  by lsamuel3

although they probably won't "fill the void" as this is a next to near impossible task, The Slip is a completely underrated band that has been making amazing music since 1997, the band has mastered jazz, jam and even indie rock. Brad Barr is one of the best guitarists around

#28788  by toastandjam

Me.

And umphrey's? Puh-leaze. Yeah, they play, yeah they're good, but they ain't got no soul in it.

Last time I saw them, the guy's holding up a piece of cardboard that says "Fuck Yea" on it. Wankers. That's not the point...

I may be biased by their fanbase.

#28796  by JackORoses

ryan adams and the cardinals carry on the legacy of the grateful dead in a great way, saw them just one week ago best show i had seen in years, the song writing is amazing and so are the jams,

bands like umphs and disco biscuits attempt to just steal the dead audience that didnt really care about the music just doing hell of drugs, sure I didnt see one tye-die at the ryan adams show but wasnt it really about the music in the end, please go out and see this band you will be pleasently surprised
Last edited by JackORoses on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#28797  by JackORoses

Hajimemashite!!! wrote:UMPHREY'S IS GOD
send me to hell then if umphrey's is god , these are guys are the biggest no talent hacks ive heard in my life

#28800  by JackORoses

jjbankhead wrote:well i for one like UM a lot. I don't know why so many people on this board are so down on them, while you may not apreciate their style, their musical ability and creativity are more abundant than any of the "up and coming" artists i have heard of late.
go see ryan adams and the caridnals please

http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadam ... 24..flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/ryanadam ... sbd.flac16

#28805  by FairTheeWell

For me, with all do respect for everyone on here, there is no void to fill.

I just don't see it that way. I take what the Dead did as an incredible moment in music history that can never be "filled" or try to be.

That being said, I go to shows knowing what I'm getting and get "filled" that way. Like a DSO or an UM or hell even a DMB, I don't go trying to see something that may be the next big thing but rather simply put...I go and have a great time and listen to great music. Listen, play, and hear whatever makes you happy. The legacy of the Dead lives forever in me and thats good enough!!!!

#28806  by shakedown_04092

FairTheeWell wrote:For me, with all do respect for everyone on here, there is no void to fill.

I just don't see it that way. I take what the Dead did as an incredible moment in music history that can never be "filled" or try to be.

That being said, I go to shows knowing what I'm getting and get "filled" that way. Like a DSO or an UM or hell even a DMB, I don't go trying to see something that may be the next big thing but rather simply put...I go and have a great time and listen to great music. Listen, play, and hear whatever makes you happy. The legacy of the Dead lives forever in me and thats good enough!!!!
Exactly. +infinite :thewave:

And with that, this thread should be closed.

#28816  by tigerstrat

shakedown_04092 wrote:
FairTheeWell wrote:For me, with all do respect for everyone on here, there is no void to fill.

Exactly. +infinite :thewave:

And with that, this thread should be closed.
Last one out, turn the lights out and lock the door.

#28818  by warrenMFKNhaynes

confusions_prince wrote: Maybe it is NOW. Wouldn't you agree Phil sounds solid singing on the studio version of A Box of Rain?
those days are Looooooooonnnnnngggg gone.
haha

jerrys the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be. there is no Void to be filled. im gonna get alot of heat for this, but NOBODY will ever sing a jerry song Better than jerry, that is the truth.