#554  by h

anyone have any suggestion for playing this song with one guitar? particularly the intro. thanks
 #814  by August_West

This is how I play the verse for 1 guitar:

|-3-3-3-3-|-0-0-0-0-|----|
|-3-3-3-3-|-1-1-1-1-|----|
|-0-0-0-0-|-0-0-0-0-|----|
|---4-2-0-|--2-2-2-2-|----|
|---------|---3-2-0-3-|----|
|---------|----------3-|----|

The chords are (if you're interested: G, G/F#, G/E, G/D, | C, C/B, C/A, C/G,

The chours is just D and A Minor, strummed out

Getting the fingering and rhythm down can take time, but it sounds pretty good
 #896  by winston

I like to "Travis pick" instead of strumming. It sounds particularly good on FOTD.

In fact, it was while practicing Travis picking FOTD that I turned the corner on playing guitar. Just like that, I suddenly "saw the light" and understood what I was doing - but that's another story.

Here is how I play it now:

Duration Legend
---------------
E - 8th; S - 16th
Code: Select all

4/4
  Gtr I
  E E  S S E  S S S S  E S S   E E  S S E  S S S S  S S S S
|-3------3------3------3-----|-0----------------------------|--|
|-------------------0------0-|--------1------1------1p0-----|--|
|---0------0------0------0---|-------------------0--------0-|--|
|-5----4------2--------0-----|---2------0------2--------0---|--|
|----------------------------|-3----2------0----------------|--|
|----------------------------|----------------------3-------|--|

#943  by Guest

E----X----X----7----X----X----X----X----15
B----8----8----8----X----X----X----X----12
G----7----7----9----X----9----X----X----12
D----9----9----9----X---10----X----X----12
A----10---9----7----7---10----9----7----10
E----X----X----------5---X-----7----5-------

This is a little something I transferred over. I don't even know if the dead ever used it, but it sounds awesome over the G to C part. Play each chord over the Phil part, you could use this as an intro, or use it through the whole song. The first part is a G chord in a C shape without the use of the E string. It comes in very handy when your hand gets tired from playing bar chords (I think Bobby used these types of chordes a lot also) the second is a G/F# I believe. The third is an Em the forth is a B power chord (I think) the fifth is a modified C the sixth and seveth are power chords, and the last is a G chord with a G up an octive. If any of this is wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I have never played this with anyone, so if someone does figure this out, and play it with someone, please give me a message and let me know what ya think.

"I just wanna play"

#944  by Guest

I am deadgrass and posted the above forum. I think what I just posted is the same thing as what August West posted in a different position. If you put what he did, and what I did together FOTD will be one of the funest songs to play.

#2718  by ch0ke

Last edited by ch0ke on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #2723  by abspatz

winston wrote:I like to "Travis pick" instead of strumming. It sounds particularly good on FOTD.

In fact, it was while practicing Travis picking FOTD that I turned the corner on playing guitar. Just like that, I suddenly "saw the light" and understood what I was doing - but that's another story.
[/code]

Care to elaborate? I've never heard of "Travis Picking"
-andrew
 #2734  by ch0ke

abspatz wrote: Care to elaborate? I've never heard of "Travis Picking"
-andrew
It's a type of fingerpicking.

And do you know the rhythm for this song? If you do and you'd care to tell me it would be much appreciated.... Anyone please I need help with the rhythm...

#4259  by weedar

Referring to August_West's comment, I'm having trouble
playing the G/D chord. I'm using an open G chord as the
basis, seeing as I'm playing on an acoustic guitar.
It's sounding pretty good, if I could only get that G/D
chord..(G/D isn't on www.chordfind.com for example)

All help appreciated!

#4261  by ded1hed

im not familiar with the tune your playing but try

----3------
----3-------
------4------
------0--------

for the g\d your basically playing the bottom of the g bar chord with the d bass note open. those make cool chords , you can slide it just like bar chords. i like playing g and a like that with a regular position open d chord.

#4266  by tigerstrat

For one guitar, I would follow JG's example, and play almost the exact same thing I would in a band situation:

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------0-----0-----------0--------------------1-----------1-----------1--------------
G|-----------0-----------------0--------------------0-----------0-----------2--------2--------
D|--------0--------4-----0ho2--------0-----------2-----------0-----------2--------------------
A|-----2--------------------------------0--2--3-----------2-----------0-----------------------
E|--3-----------------------------------------------------------------------------3-----0--2--