#15561  by strumminsix

Here is a quick phaser review that I extracted from another thread. Please add on by type!

MXR Script 45 - great watery effect but clips with duals and drops lows and low mids

Phase 90 - great but too extreme for my tastes and again clips and drops lows and low mids

Retro-Sonic Phaser - similar to a P90 but with greater headroom and less of a tone change and slight volume drop.

Small Stone Nano - best headroom, slight volume drop, less extreme than P90 similar tone changes and didn't stack well

Nebula - Similar to a P45 but less subtle and clips easily

Maxon PH350 - absolutely awesome. Huge headroom, stacks nicely with other pedals, can get sounds from P45 to P90 to P100. Almost no tonal changes and an ever so slight bump in volume which is almost needed to keep your spot in the mix and cannot be determined in a band setting.

#15574  by tigerstrat

MXR Phase 100 - what Jerry used for almost 20 years.

Mu-Tron Phasor II (vintage) - just as smooth, but more versatile: with the Feedback control at approx. 11 o'clock it pretty much nails the Phase 100 sound. The Rate can go radically high, like in the 100's of oscillations per minute. I have a vol pedal wired as the Rate pot, so in a heartbeat I can change between slowwww sweeping to Warren Haynes mega-vibrato and all the way to "sci-fi death ray". I was very lucky to have a punk rocker friend gift me one when I was just starting to play 20+ years ago. Then I hardly used it until a couple of years ago!

#24175  by hogan

TS,
how abot a quick how to on adding a expression pedal for speed on a phase 100?

#24240  by China Cat

im looking for a phaser, anyone familiar with the Subdecay Qeusar or the Maxon PT999?

#24291  by summerstevaye

EH- Small Stone with Analogman Mod[----Nice feature with a volume pot inside so you can fine tune, very simple add color, change rate. I find myself using my foot to move the rate knob when playing. Soundwise I play through a Twin reverb and it peaks pretty good, almost too good with the color on, really feel the phase ya know. Playing chords with it is nice get a nice even feel. I'd recomend it for the price[/b]
 #24302  by kenneybonz

could that be right? the 90 script "custom shop" is supposed to delvier what the old 100 does, it says, for those who think that only the vintage 100 is any good...
how about that for confusing..

:deadhorse

so, one last clarification ( and why do they have 4 things named the same thing more or less? )
if the custom shop 90 script is the old 100 sound,
consensus here: that one new or the 100 new..

asking at the old guitar store don't seem to work.. i got the " they are all the same "comment which i know aint right :?
 #56422  by groovemongrel

strumminsix wrote:Here is a quick phaser review that I extracted from another thread. Please add on by type!

Phase 90 - great but too extreme for my tastes and again clips and drops lows and low mids
Good stuff on that Phase 90, strumminsix. I have one and hated that clipping. I took it out of my signal chain because of that. Wanna buy one? :P
 #56427  by myoung6923

I had the Phase 90 and did the r28 and c11/c12 mods to it which eliminated the clipping. However, it is kind of extereme - it's either on or off - no room for subtlety.

I just got the Maxon ph350 and love it - there's a lot more room for adjustment including depth - so you can have it on just a hair if you want. It's triple the price of a P90 but 10 times the phaser.
 #56430  by groovemongrel

I don't spend much time phasing anyway. I want that big green Line 6 delay if I could get anything right now.
 #56436  by strumminsix

myoung6923 wrote:I had the Phase 90 and did the r28 and c11/c12 mods to it which eliminated the clipping. However, it is kind of extereme - it's either on or off - no room for subtlety.

I just got the Maxon ph350 and love it - there's a lot more room for adjustment including depth - so you can have it on just a hair if you want. It's triple the price of a P90 but 10 times the phaser.
BINGO! I couldn't agree more especially with that last part...

Re:

#56439  by tigerstrat

hogan wrote:TS,
Never saw this question, so sorry that its response is two yrs late!: pretty basic stuff, you just extend the leads that would go to the rate pot on the phase pedal, and run them to an adjacent (as possible) volume pedal and attach them to the corresponding lugs of the pot that your foot sweeps. I haven't tried it remotely, like if the phase itself was rackmounted w/ expression on the floor... might require sheilding?

Re:

#56462  by Pete B.

hogan wrote:TS,
fwiw, i would reccomend this option for controlling a stomp-box parameter knob with a foot pedal:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=150146

I want to get one of these to control the Poly mode on my Boss OC-3.

I used to play steel for a cowboy named Billy Waldo back in the 80's. When he called me for a reunion last summer I asked him if he still had that MuTron Phaser pedal he always used to use (fwiw, thanks to Waylon Jennings, Phasors were/are? big in country music).
Anyway, he said he hadn't used or even seen it in years, but if he could find it, i could have it.
Sure enough he brought it to the reunion, and gave it to me.
It needs a rehab due to at least one knob being non-functional, and it looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet many a time....
But it's a Mutron Phaser II!... (which fills out my MuTron trilogy).

Here is a link to some tunes we played at the Reunion. I played all Pedal Steel on this gig:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=zep ... iew=videos
 #76727  by Tennessee Jedi

Why didnt you guys point this thread out BEFORE I bought that Phase 90 ?????
Hmmmmmmm.
It is as S6 says - too extreme - that nails it
:cry:
My thought behind buying it was : it has one knob ; it must be subtle.
:?
 #76832  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote: It needs a rehab due to at least one knob being non-functional, and it looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet many a time....
But it's a Mutron Phaser II!... (which fills out my MuTron trilogy).
Pete did you open it up to see what's up with that pot? It probably just needs to be re-soldered to the board, common failure in Mu's. Bring it on over one of these Thursdays...