CHO?????????
Delay 1 & 2
Reverb 1 & 2

Don't see anything that resembles

Wah
Envelope or
Overdrive

Am I missing something here?

Or can I somehow reproduce the effects with what I have?

#22677  by strumminsix

Did ya DL the manual?
http://www.zoom.co.jp/archive/Previous_ ... 002Pro.pdf

Not trying to be mean but it's easier to help somebody who has already used the tools available?

Compression - don't use
Distortion - closest thing you have overdrive
EQ - may need it with another setting
Pitch - can't tell
Phaser - use it
Flanger - don't see it in JG's rig
CHO????????? = chorus
Delay 1 & 2
Reverb 1 & 2

What about the SFX stuff?

There is something called the CRY which is probably similar to a wah or envelope.

#22699  by qiuniu

strumminsix wrote:Did ya DL the manual?
http://www.zoom.co.jp/archive/Previous_ ... 002Pro.pdf

Not trying to be mean but it's easier to help somebody who has already used the tools available?

Compression - don't use
Distortion - closest thing you have overdrive
EQ - may need it with another setting
Pitch - can't tell
Phaser - use it
Flanger - don't see it in JG's rig
CHO????????? = chorus
Delay 1 & 2
Reverb 1 & 2

There is something called the CRY which is probably similar to a wah or envelope.
You rock! I still have the physical manual somewhere but I scoured their site yesterday and couldn't pull out the link you found. THANK YOU!

Didn't have it in time for jammin' last night but did have good luck playing around with the Phaser and Overdrive in GB and it worked as well as it could last night.

Gonna look over the manual and start playing around with the settings and report back, just as soon as I get off work, only 7 and 1/2 short hours to go now!

#22716  by BuddhaG

I was wondering if any of you kind folks knew what kind of distortion/overdrive pedals Jer was using in the late 60's to get that raw, thick tone? It is so badass.

Also love the tone of his distortion on 73 johnny b goode's. It is really rounded and kind of soft but with a nice edge that isn't too fuzzy. I think you know what I mean, its not like all out screaming distortion but this slight overdrive on top of the normal clean tone. What kind of pedal did he use at this time?

I am looking to upgrade my rig to get a little closer to what I'm hearing and loving so much. I already have a tube amp (Peavey Classic 50) and a standard Epi Les Paul. I was planning on getting some hotter pick-ups in the next few weeks and a pedal of some sort to be able to access more variety of tones. Thinkin Seymour Duncan P-90 single coil humbuckers for the neck and SH-1 for the bridge, or something like that... suggestions are very welcome!

#22718  by BlobWeird

Buddha Im no expert but id be willin to bet that the raw, thick tone came from the amp (Twin Reverb) more than anything. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can clarify a little better but im almost certain its the amp.

#22719  by tigerstrat

BuddhaG wrote:I was wondering if any of you kind folks knew what kind of distortion/overdrive pedals Jer was using in the late 60's to get that raw, thick tone? It is so badass.

Also love the tone of his distortion on 73 johnny b goode's. It is really rounded and kind of soft but with a nice edge that isn't too fuzzy. I think you know what I mean, its not like all out screaming distortion but this slight overdrive on top of the normal clean tone. What kind of pedal did he use at this time?
tha answer in both cases is none(!).

In the case of the late 60's, he was literally using non-master volume Twin Reverb combos cranked up to 10! I strongly encourage anyone to at least try this once (WITH hearing protection)... with a Les Paul or SG style guitar, past around 5 or 6 the Twin unspools all kinds of chunky overdrive- it's exactly the kind of feedbacky gonzo freakout tone found on 67-69 shows.

73, he's using Strat pickup-equipped guitars and you are hearing nearly all preamp distortion, as he is running a Twin tube preamp into a powerful and clean solidstate amp.

#22720  by BlobWeird

Well there ya have it. I didnt wanna say it for sure but yeah thats all Twin right there. God I want one so bad.

#22744  by qiuniu

strumminsix wrote:

Okay manual says:

Special effects
SFX
Use PATTERN (1.2.3) to select STEP, CRY, or METALLIC effects.
PATTERN 1 : STEP
Use DEPTH (0-10) to adjust modulation.
Use FREQ (0-50) to adjust modulations speed.
This gives random, stepped sample & hold for sequencer and arpeggio type
effects.
PATTERN 2: CRY
Use DEPTH (0-10) to adjust modulation.
Use FREQ (1 or 2) to select 1: Voice type effect or 2: Fast attack and sweep
down.
This gives dynamic pick wah and talking box type effects.
PATTERN 3: METALLIC
Use DEPTH (0- 10) to adjust amount of modulation.
Use FREQ (0-50) to adjust modulation speed.
This gives ring modulator type effects.

So far as I can tell there is no envelope or overdrive as far as I can tell.

What is the envelope?

So far I got:

Wah from the Zoom
Envelope not present
Phaser from GB (Intensity set a little above middle, Speed set somewhat slow, feedback set somewhat high)
Overdrive from GB (Drive set high, Tone bright, and output level in the middle)

Okay gonna go try 'em out!

"Come on baby is 6 o'clock, Come on baby its time to rock!"