#21692  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Hey all,

My friends and I always seem to hook each other up with some great artists we may never have come across without the recommendation. Hopefully this post will give everyone a chance to share who they are really diggin' these days and perhaps turn another on to their music.

I have been listening non-stop lately to Ray LaMontagne. Amazing voice, amazing lyricist, amazing songwriter. Highly, highly recommend it to anyone with a set of ears.

Hope you all check him out, he has been blowing my mind.

:cool:

#21695  by prankster

this is a great topic, a good way to spred the music. i have been listining alot to a band called ekoostic hookah. they are good and have some great jams. u can download live shows at archive.org.

#21701  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

gratephulphish123 wrote:from now on every artist recomendation i give will be miles davis. just recently listened to sketches of spain, really great album. miles is the black jerry :lol:
- That is a great line. If you haven't read the book, definitely read Miles' autobiography co written with Quincy Troupe. It is incredible!

#21704  by Hajimemashite!!!

^that book is god!!!

i never knew what a dick charlie parker was!

EDIT: as for current artists Umphrey's McGee, The New Deal, Lotus, JOHN SCOFIELD(so not so much current but hes still playin awesome!)

#21778  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

In addition to Ray LaMontagne who is just blowin' me away more every time I listen to him, I am also diggin' Rocky Votolato. Another singer songwriter with a kick ass sound.

Oh, and also very into Doves these days.

#21779  by germfisk

Yonder Mountain String Band. Not all that new, but not all that old and they are playing some incredible music.

White Stripes

#21780  by China Cat

moe.
Widespread Panic
Disco Biscuits
Keller Williams

#21791  by Shaggy

Ryan Adams is always keeping things interesting.

The boys from the Alt-Country rock scene:

Tweedy and Farrar (Wilco and Son Volt)

Louris and Olson (ex Jayhawks making music together again and theres also Golden Smog)

Josh Ritter.

Theres a new Joni Mitchell record coming out soon.

Neil Young might release more from his vaults again soon, and his archive thing (not likely! :-x )

It's time we had a new Pure Jerry or something!

#21796  by sarraqum

Frank Turner - probably unknown to most of you but this guy started off as a front man in a British Harcore band Million Dead and now he is doing fantastic acoustic folk songs. I highly recommend him.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=36214937

#21822  by amyjared

Josh Ritter
I second this one. Saw him open for Todd Snider and he was great, at least live. Can't vouch for his cd's.

I also want to mention some newer or still playing folks to check out:

Frank Black - He's not for everyone, but if you don't like his rocking stuff, check out Honeycomb for him backed by some of Nashville's finest session players

Steve Earle - Continues to piss off whoever deserves it.

Todd Snider - Great lyrics, great live. Check him out.

Ween - always good for a laugh.

#21823  by hobbsy

Jayhawks
Josh Ritter (his cd's are really good, try Hello Starling and Golden Age of Radio)
Jay Farrar
Calexico
Guster
Ryan Adams and The Cardinals (the new album is excellent)
I'm lovin Ray Lamontagne too
Moe
The Black Crowes
Townes Van Zandt

#21825  by hotasaPistol

Gary Hoey......incredible guitar player

#21867  by China Cat

oh yeah i forgot Medeski, Martin and Wood