Chat about Equipment Info

#15667  by shakedown_04092

I currently use Gibson VR 10's on my SG, but once I get my Resurrection it'll be DR Tite-Fit MT-10's. I have used Super Slinky's before but for some reason I broke them a lot more, and I'm not a string-breaker, per-se. On my Dean Evo I have D'Addario EXL110 XL Nickel Regulars.

I change my strings the night before a gig, unless, as someone said, we have back-to-back gigs or something like that. Other than that, I change them every after 15-20 hours or so, sometimes more if I get lazy.

Here's a good question I hope a lot of you can answer: how often do you guys break strings?

When I first started playing, I'd break them often, but now that I have more control, it's far less.

Someone once told me I should change my strings every 8 hours of playing, but I found that to be a little much, unless you're gigging every night or something.

PS - I HATE CHANGING STRINGS! :evil: It's a pain in the ass! Boo! The worst is when you break a string while changing them!!! Uggghhhh!

#17247  by jackr

I play about an hour or two a day. I change the strings about every 2 months. I have been using ernie ball extra slinky 10s but I am starting to experiment with others. I play an SRV Strat.

I also use Snarlin Dog pics because my fingers sweat and I need the extra grip. I change them often because I lose them all the time.

#17256  by acidrain30005

On my Strat I use DR Tite-Fits 10 gauge, and on my Les Paul, I use 10 gauge DR Black Beauties. As for picks, Dunlop Tortex 73 mm.

#17260  by smile_smile_smile

can't stand picks, I play with my fore finger and use it like a pick more like a soft pluckin action but also use an upward action to get a soft strumin sound (this can also be done with my thumb goin down)....i never used picks cause when i first started playin i didn't like not being able to feel the strings, now i just like the sound i've got by using my fingers...as for strings i use hybird slinkys i like my high e to be a 9 gauge... i particularly like the sound i get on my hollow body gretch using hybird slinkys...and thats all that matters getting the sound u want.....as for breaking strings no exact science except it always seems to be my high e, g or b

#17261  by strumminsix

shakedown_04092 wrote:
Here's a good question I hope a lot of you can answer: how often do you guys break strings?
Rarely unless I have a sharp edge on my bridge or nut.
shakedown_04092 wrote:
PS - I HATE CHANGING STRINGS! :evil: It's a pain in the ass! Boo! The worst is when you break a string while changing them!!! Uggghhhh!
Buy locking tuners this will help. I can do a simple set change in minutes.

#17486  by cuznt

strumminsix wrote:Yes I have, sadly... Likely your nut, bridge or saddle has a sharp section. Take it to a good tech and have him or her find the problem.

take a good magnifiying glass and have a look at both the nut and bridge. You are looking for any burrs. sometimes it is just the sharp edge of the bridge, or are you like me and try to bend the first string to the other edge of the neck? I had a small burr on my new schecter. 1 min and a gentle nudge with a jewelers file saved me.
I use d'addario 12 gauge and dunlop purple picks, i too lose them LONG before they wear out.
I use to be able to change a string in between verses, when i would break one during a lead. locking nuts made me crazy after 8 years of playing one. I try and have strings and a winder at the ready.

#17492  by d-v-s

Either I have been blessed with a holy guitar, or I'm doing something wrong. I think the last time I changed my strings on my acoustic was 2005.

In all fairness, i don't gig or even get a chance to play that often. i only get to play my guitar about 6-8 hours a week, but it rarely goes out of tune and the tone seems fine to me. I have to tune the guitar about once a month, and even then it's less than a half-step adjustment. It could be that I mostly play rhythm on my acoustic and lead on my electric.

I broke 2 strings on my electric in the past 2 months. This will probably disgust some of you, but I couldn't find strings in Turkey, so I had to "repair" the strings. i made a little lassoo out of the broken bit and spliced it together with the remaining portion of original string and put it back in. i'm still shocked that the broken strings stay in tune and haven't broke again. Thankfully, I found some strings this weekend - 1 pack only - but I probably won't use them until I break another one, cuz he who burns a candle in daytime will not have it at night.

#17522  by cuznt

d-v-s wrote: This will probably disgust some of you, but I couldn't find strings in Turkey, so I had to "repair" the strings. i made a little lassoo out of the broken bit and spliced it together with the remaining portion of original string and put it back in. i'm still shocked that the broken strings stay in tune and haven't broke again.
pm me your addy.
i will SEND you a free pack
i been there on the string lasso. musicians are poor sometimes too