#169144  by lbpesq

Like the title says, I’m starting out on my second Alligator build and the hardest part to find is the old 1970s Alembic/Stars style brass channel bridge. So I decided to build one myself. I have no training or experience in metalwork, and had no help from anyone who does. I figured this out as I went along. After several false starts and a few outright failures, I completed the first one that I’m not embarrassed to show to the world. Of course most of the world has no idea what this is or why anyone would want one. But the few that are more enlightened tend to hang out around here! Lol

Bill, tgo
LazyLightning72, brianb, NeilG1 and 3 others liked this
 #169145  by Jon S.

That reminds me of my bridge below, that was sold to me on eBay as likely being an Alembic, identified 5 or so years ago by folks right here as instead likely a Stars, and then recharacterized by some here as neither (I still think its a Stars).

This being said, nice job on yours!!

Last edited by Jon S. on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #169146  by TI4-1009

Well done!
 #169154  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 am Like the title says, I’m starting out on my second Alligator build and the hardest part to find is the old 1970s Alembic/Stars style brass channel bridge. So I decided to build one myself. I have no training or experience in metalwork, and had no help from anyone who does. I figured this out as I went along. After several false starts and a few outright failures, I completed the first one that I’m not embarrassed to show to the world. Of course most of the world has no idea what this is or why anyone would want one. But the few that are more enlightened tend to hang out around here! Lol

Bill, tgo
Bill, are those plastic washers, or retaining clips, or neither? Whichever they are, did you have to special order them?
 #169155  by lbpesq

Plastic washers. I ordered them on-line from the same place I got my brass screws and nuts. My local hardware store also has them. They allow the screw to turn without screwing/unscrewing the nut which is seated with loctite

Bill, tgo
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #169451  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:26 pm Plastic washers. I ordered them on-line from the same place I got my brass screws and nuts. My local hardware store also has them. They allow the screw to turn without screwing/unscrewing the nut which is seated with loctite

Bill, tgo
Thanks Bill
One last question if you don’t mind? How difficult do you think it would be to take the bridge in this image, and put longer adjustment screws in, to function like yours? Obviously the holes (pup side)where my current screws stop will need to be enlarged, plus adding the washer and nut on the end. I know I would have to match the threads and screw size. All of which should be able to be found at a local hardware store. It’s enlarging the holes on the side facing the pups I’m not 100% sure how to tackle. If that makes sense.

Any pointers?
*Edit*
Also, are you using retaining clips at all, with that setup?
And are you just using the one set of washers, or do you have them on the opposite side, I can’t tell from the pic?
 #169453  by lbpesq

Looking at the pic, it looks like a fairly simple conversion. I haven’t seen this type of bridge with the springs before. I wonder if they are really necessary. The screws I use are brass 6-32. One washer for each saddle. As for enlarging the hole, just use a bit that works for the metal that the bridge is made of ... I can’t tell what it is from the pic. My channels are brass, which is relatively soft. I hold the bridge in a small Stewmac nut vise and use a small drill press. Just don’t make the holes too much bigger. You don’t want the adjusting screws to slop around too much. Hope this helps.

Bill, tgo
 #169483  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:46 pm Looking at the pic, it looks like a fairly simple conversion. I haven’t seen this type of bridge with the springs before. I wonder if they are really necessary. The screws I use are brass 6-32. One washer for each saddle. As for enlarging the hole, just use a bit that works for the metal that the bridge is made of ... I can’t tell what it is from the pic. My channels are brass, which is relatively soft. I hold the bridge in a small Stewmac nut vise and use a small drill press. Just don’t make the holes too much bigger. You don’t want the adjusting screws to slop around too much. Hope this helps.

Bill, tgo
It helped tremendously, thanks a lot Bill.

The springs were to stop a rattle at the bridge on two springs. It worked ok, but I have horrendous OCD, and can’t stand them being in there. It’s like a needle in my brain, lol

This mod will take care of the rattle and look much much better, imho. So I can focus on playing.

Hope you’re having a grate weekend!
 #169755  by LazyLightning72

Several times I have got all the way to the point of getting the drill and vise out. And every time, I start overthinking it, and talk myself out of making the modification. I think it also has a lot to do with, if I screw it up, I’ll play hell getting another one.

Now I have heard there are a few aftermarket bridges that might work on my current posts, without the need to change them out, etc...

Maybe I should just have you make me one from scratch Bill. :hail:

I’d be overly happy with a piece like you made. I’m sorry, not trying to put you on the spot or anything. I’m just thinking out loud, and admiring your ingenuity, and work.
 #169757  by lbpesq

Another, and perhaps less daunting, method than drilling would be to get a round file that fits in the hole you need to expand. Then just take your time and file away until the hole is elongated enough to fit. I’ll be making some more bridges soon, so I could do one for you. Without access to the guitar, I would of course need either a template, or exact dimensions. Of course I could build it with an oval hole on one side to ensure it will fit.

Bill, tgo
 #169767  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:21 pm Another, and perhaps less daunting, method than drilling would be to get a round file that fits in the hole you need to expand. Then just take your time and file away until the hole is elongated enough to fit. I’ll be making some more bridges soon, so I could do one for you. Without access to the guitar, I would of course need either a template, or exact dimensions. Of course I could build it with an oval hole on one side to ensure it will fit.

Bill, tgo
The files are a good idea, I hadn’t thought of.

When you get ready to make some, can you pm me? If I haven’t modified it myself yet, I can give you all the measurements you need.

Either way thanks for the help Bill.