#168852  by NeilG1

Hey all
I'm getting dizzy looking at a million variations on phaser pedals. I'm trying to avoid shelling out hundreds for a script phase 100.
I've been looking at a Reissue Script Phase 90, the new Phase 95, and a block phase 100. Also a Whirlwind Orange Box.
Anyone have experience with these or others and have a fave?
So far it seems to me that pros/cons include:
1. Reissue Script Phase 90 - sounds great. No waveform options like the 100, and battery only
2. Phase 95 - gives both phase 90 and 45 tones, with a "script" option for either. Still no waveform dial, but lots of flexibility. Mini pedal. Sounds great, but the script 90 sound likely not as good as the real thing.
3. Phase 100 (block) - waveform and speed options. Not a vintage "script" sound.
4. Orange Box - supposed to be great script phase 90 sound. Also 1 waveform only

Any thoughts in the group?
Thanks!
 #168856  by cyrusj83

Hey there. I've never messed around with any of them other than the MXR Phase 100 Block I got a few months ago. I love it but I've only really kept it on the one setting (Left knob to the far left, right knob at about 3 o'clock). A little delay and some slight dirt right before it. Sounds great.
NeilG1 liked this
 #168860  by PurpleTrails

I've had a reissue script phase 90 on my board for about 10 years. Great sounding pedal, much better than a block phase 90 (I've A-B'd them with someone with better ears than mine). The battery-only is a bit of a PITA, especially combined with no LED light to tell you whether it's on or not, and necessitates that you disconnect the plugs coming in and out or suffer battery drain.

I don't have any other suggestions, other than it's probably not that big of a deal in the larger scheme of things, as it really isn't used all that often in the catalog, other than in space and sugaree. As such I wouldn't be investing big bucks in a script phase 100.
TI4-1009, NeilG1 liked this
 #168862  by wabisabied

I have no info regarding these particular pedals, but FYI you can buy and adapter that will run from your pedal’s battery terminal to a power source. I have one that came with my Truetone 1-Spot, but I haven’t needed to use it.
 #168863  by wpmartin1979

This will sound unconventional but I have tried a bunch of phasers and the one I like the best is Hot Box Pedals -Phase - these are hand built in Canada, built like a tank and only run like $60.
It sounds REALLY good man! Plus you can choose between vintage and modern phaser tones. I keep mine on the vintage and it blows the new MXR out if the water in my humble opinion. You can even crank it and get Estimated Prophet tones without a filter.
Plus it’s true bypass and a lot of these phasers suck tone.
So anyway, doesn’t look the coolest or whatever but that’s what is on my Jerry board.
Hope this helps!
Have a Jerry Xmas!
NeilG1 liked this
 #168865  by NeilG1

Wow - the Hot Box ones seem great. Which do you have? The little green one or the bigger black one?
Thanks!
 #168867  by AaronW

THey make the Custom Shop Script Phase 90 with an LED and power jack. I had one for a long time, A/B'd it with the non LED battery only version and if there was a difference it was minimal. I thought it was really great, after I sold it I started regretting it. Will be getting another.

The official model number is CSP101SL
NeilG1 liked this
 #168871  by wpmartin1979

NeilG1 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:09 am Wow - the Hot Box ones seem great. Which do you have? The little green one or the bigger black one?
Thanks!
I have the bigger one - I’m not a fan of micro pedals or whatever they are called. My Jerry board has a very vintage vibe and that one fits in fine without standing out as “newer” if you know what I mean.
NeilG1 liked this