#168522  by TubaEric

Hello. I have some questions regarding how to achieve jerrys tone on the europe 72 tour!
Some songs that scream the tone im looking for are
1)Cumberland Blues
2) Sugar Magnolia
3) Hurts me too
4) China Rider
5) Ramble on rose
basically the whole album lol

Anyways, I just recently put the Fender Pure Vintage 59s single coil pickups in my stratocaster, and with 10-9 trbl 5-6 mid and 2-1 bass on my twin reverb, I am getting closer to the tone i want to have. Even though I think im getting closer, something tells me that im still a little far behind.

Notes:
I plan on getting a stratoblaster in december
I plan on eventually getting a pair of JBL e/d or k 120s

So my questions are:
1) when i purchase the jbls, should I put them right in my amp or build a separate cab to put them in?
2) Did Jerry have any modifications done to his fender twin reverb during the 72 tour?
3) Is a Dualshowman Head one of the key components to the 72 sound or can i pull it off with just my twin reverb?
4) (maybe a bit specific) what was jerrys string and pickup height on Alligator?

Thank you so much for your time and any answers you can provide! :-) :cool: :peas:
 #168526  by Jon S.

TubaEric wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:47 pm Hello. I have some questions regarding how to achieve jerrys tone on the europe 72 tour!
Some songs that scream the tone im looking for are
1)Cumberland Blues
2) Sugar Magnolia
3) Hurts me too
4) China Rider
5) Ramble on rose
basically the whole album lol

Anyways, I just recently put the Fender Pure Vintage 59s single coil pickups in my stratocaster, and with 10-9 trbl 5-6 mid and 2-1 bass on my twin reverb, I am getting closer to the tone i want to have. Even though I think im getting closer, something tells me that im still a little far behind.

Notes:
I plan on getting a stratoblaster in december
I plan on eventually getting a pair of JBL e/d or k 120s

So my questions are:
1) when i purchase the jbls, should I put them right in my amp or build a separate cab to put them in?
2) Did Jerry have any modifications done to his fender twin reverb during the 72 tour?
3) Is a Dualshowman Head one of the key components to the 72 sound or can i pull it off with just my twin reverb?
4) (maybe a bit specific) what was jerrys string and pickup height on Alligator?

Thank you so much for your time and any answers you can provide! :-) :cool: :peas:
1st things 1st: welcome to RUKIND!

With a Strat with legit PUPs into a TR, you're already much of the way there. Add a Stratoblaster and JBLs and you'll be close enough that few but you will care. :-)

As for potential TR mods, if you do some internet word searches, you'll find comments like these in the public domain that may assist you. Note that I have no relationship or affiliation with any of the cited sources for the info. that follows. I'm merely letting you know who I saw posted the info. in case you want to take that into account in determining its usefulness to you:

* I just saw on a respected sources website that Jerry's Twin had .022's in the tonestack instead of the normal .1 and .047. (Imagined Days)

* .022s in the mids will keep more mids around than some of the other higher value capacitors commonly used in fender amps, and .022 in the bass will cause the bass frequencies to drop off at a higher value and lose a lot more overall bass than the .1. So, theoretically, .022s seem to make sense for jerry (more bass cut and less mid scoop) (Stevo123)

* it is by no means a secret mod, others have done it. using the duncan tonestack calculator, and the known jerry twin settings, show a pretty identical curve between the stock values and the .022uFs. the difference being the sharper bass rolloff with the .022uF's. (Mike Wald)

* Just got my twin back from the tech with all the healy mods done and played a farm gig over the weekend. YOW! Talk about clean power and clear highs and lows. (JB Arnold)

* Let me suggest a place to start: First, in addition to changing all of the caps, you will want to change all of the plate resistors for non-inductive metal film versions. Also change all of the cathode resistors and use tantalum capacitors for the bypass caps (I use military grade axial lead versions). This, especially for steel, will greatly improve the high frequencies yielding the pure and clearer bell like tones. (JB Arnold claiming to be quoting Healy)

* I've done most of the mod that JB quoted except for the non-inductive metal film plate resistors. That's next. The other mods were amazing. I've never heard a Twin so open and sweet and clear and hi-fi before. The steel just sings thru it. (Brad Sarno)
 #168598  by wleeds

I've had the twin mods done, sounds great, HUGE sounding amp. Needs to be pretty loud to realize the benefits of the mods.
Too big for most of the places I play.
Though i also play through a 69 Vibrolux with reconed Oxford speakers and it gets pretty close. As well as a BFDR with JBL d120 and DRRI with a GA-sc64. I like the 6l6's more

I think two of the biggest missing links are - 1) his touch, phrasing, and counterpoint to everything else going on. - 2) his place in the mix with the rest of the band.
Though the root of his tone and setup was very similar with the Dead and Merle, i hear a little more shrill/ top end brightness with Merle. Could be the venue, the sound on a smaller stage, how cluttered the mid frequencies were in the room at the time.
He played with some killer players that gave everyone space

So many other factors come into play than just mods in the amp.
i also think the jbl's were in integral to the Dead's gear because of their durability on the road.
I've been chasing the 72 tone forever and find by cranking the amp and controlling volume and tone from the guitar has the biggest impact.

Re - Pure Vintage 59 - i'd love to try those out. Jason Ferguson gets a killer tone with those
I have Fralin Vintage Hots, Pickup WIzard 62-64, 57/62's and CS54's. I get the closest with the Fralins and 57/62's

thanks for letting me rant:)
peace