#168033  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:28 pm The Rivera Era Princeton Reverb II (early to mid '80s) is really nice amp. It has a master volume and lead channel similar to a Mesa. Small, relatively light, 22 amps - small enough for bedroom playing, but enough power to keep up with a band. Some consider the Rivera era amps Fender's answer to Mesa Boogie.

Bill, tgo
Around '96, I sold a Rivera-era 1X12 Concert amp that I'd bought new in '83. It had a stock EV and weighed as much as a TR. I used to have lines in my hands still hours after carting it around. It included an all-tube effects loop with independent, rear-mounted input and gain and output controls. Sometimes I'd bridged the input and output with just a bare cord, dime the input and output, and let the amp cook. Sure wish I had it now. I'd replace the EV with a neo speaker and rock the s- out of it.
LazyLightning72 liked this
 #168034  by wabisabied

For a lower wattage Fender tube amp, you might consider a Pro Junior. 15 watts, 10” speaker. Just volume and tone; no reverb but you can add a pedal for that, as they seem to sell for under $500. The earlier ‘90s vintages were made in USA. You could crank it up without losing any fillings, and it will be much easier to lug around, should the need arise, than a DRRI. I’ve been watching the local CL here for a USA made one for myself, and when I find it will probably sell my DRRI (I also have a TR for a bigger, mostly stay-at-home amp.)
 #168035  by LazyLightning72

Jon S. wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:14 am I understand completely. You're entitled both to the rig you want and to the rig that meets your needs and makes you happy. BUT you did ask for our input.

Though, in your opening post, you stated expressly (your words), "I'm dead set on a Fender, lol," someone else in this thread recommended a MESA Boogie. To your credit, despite opening with being dead set on a Fender, you replied, "I read that Jerry used a Mesa Boogie Mark IIa for a while, I’ll see if there are any near my price range before making a final decision." That's a good approach, my friend, keeping an open mind to suggestions outside of your initial box. (And BTW, FWIW, the MESA that will sound most Fenderish is, my view, the Fillmore series - https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/e ... index.html.)

I realize I, too, suggested an amp outside of your box. The other guy suggested a tube amp that's not a Fender = 1/2 of what you said you were set on. I suggested a digital amp that is a Fender = also 1/2. I did so in a heartfelt effort to be responsive to all of the info. you posted in your OP about both your interests in amps and on yourself - where you're at musically; with whom and how you play your guitar, etc..

My take from your posts here is that you have yet to personally actually test drive most if not all of both your own and the others' suggestions. If I may make one further suggestion: play before you buy, you might surprise yourself as to what you truly prefer.

Best of luck with whatever you get. Enjoy the heck out of it and don't look back (well, for at least several months!).
OK,
In all honesty I’m not sure why my post is being dissected like this.

I feel any attempt on my part to explain, why I said I’d look at Mesa (other than to say I was just being polite) will in no way help with the decision I have before me.

I thought I also replied to your suggestion with a polite and courteous manner. If I somehow did not, I am truly sorry and apologize. I’m not here to make enemies, just talk about different aspects of the passion we all share for the Grateful Dead.

As far as not test driving not all of both your own and the others' suggestions, well your right. I just got the new guitar 3 and 1/2 weeks ago, my pedals just got here late last night. I’ve been playing the heck out of the guitar (4-5hrs every night) going over it with a fine tooth comb, to make sure it’s “the one”. I hope to begin doing the same with the pedals starting tonight.

I am set on a Fender, the 3 tube amps I have ever played through were all Fender, and they sounded great. I also see that many here choose the same, in one form or another.

Chris (~)}:}
 #168036  by Jon S.

LazyLightning72 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:15 pm
Jon S. wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:14 am I understand completely. You're entitled both to the rig you want and to the rig that meets your needs and makes you happy. BUT you did ask for our input.

Though, in your opening post, you stated expressly (your words), "I'm dead set on a Fender, lol," someone else in this thread recommended a MESA Boogie. To your credit, despite opening with being dead set on a Fender, you replied, "I read that Jerry used a Mesa Boogie Mark IIa for a while, I’ll see if there are any near my price range before making a final decision." That's a good approach, my friend, keeping an open mind to suggestions outside of your initial box. (And BTW, FWIW, the MESA that will sound most Fenderish is, my view, the Fillmore series - https://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/e ... index.html.)

I realize I, too, suggested an amp outside of your box. The other guy suggested a tube amp that's not a Fender = 1/2 of what you said you were set on. I suggested a digital amp that is a Fender = also 1/2. I did so in a heartfelt effort to be responsive to all of the info. you posted in your OP about both your interests in amps and on yourself - where you're at musically; with whom and how you play your guitar, etc..

My take from your posts here is that you have yet to personally actually test drive most if not all of both your own and the others' suggestions. If I may make one further suggestion: play before you buy, you might surprise yourself as to what you truly prefer.

Best of luck with whatever you get. Enjoy the heck out of it and don't look back (well, for at least several months!).
OK,

I feel any attempt on my part to explain, why I said I’d look at Mesa (other than to say I was just being polite) will in no way help with the decision I have before me.

I thought I also replied to your suggestion with a polite and courteous manner. If I somehow did not, I am truly sorry and apologize. I’m not here to make enemies, just talk about different aspects of the passion we all share for the Grateful Dead.

As far as not test driving not all of both your own and the others' suggestions, well your right. I just got the new guitar 3 and 1/2 weeks ago, my pedals just got here late last night. I’ve been playing the heck out of the guitar (4-5hrs every night) going over it with a fine tooth comb, to make sure it’s “the one”. I hope to begin doing the same with the pedals starting tonight.

I am set on a Fender, the 3 tube amps I have ever played through were all Fender, and they sounded great. I also see that many here choose the same, in one form or another.

Wow.

I'm truly sorry my reading your posts carefully and responding thoughtfully and specifically feels like dissection. To me, it was discussion (what these forums are for).

Enjoy your amp.
 #168037  by LazyLightning72

Jon S. wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:18 pm
LazyLightning72 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:15 pm

OK,

Wow.

I'm truly sorry my reading your posts carefully and responding thoughtfully and specifically feels like dissection. To me, it was discussion (what these forums are for).

Enjoy your amp.
Then I guess I read it the wrong way, it happens. Hope there are no hard feelings or anything.

Anyhow,
So the Fender '65 Princeton Reverb 1x12" 15-watt Tube Combo Amp - Lacquered Tweed does look like a nice amp.
I was originally leaning towards the Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb 1x12" 22-watt Tube Combo-Amp
After having read some good reviews about the Celestion speaker.
 #168038  by lbpesq

It would make his thread MUCH easier to read if people didn't copy the previous post, then copy the copy, then copy the copy of the copy, etc. It's beginning to look like a long email string.

Just my 2¢.

Bill, tgo
 #168039  by LazyLightning72

I agree Bill,
Sorry for my part in doing that!
I for one think we should all go listen to a sweet Sugaree, I know it will right my mindset. :-)

I’d like to get back to the meat of the topic also.

So are those Celestion speakers really any better then the Eminence Cannabis Rex, in the ‘65 Princeton 1x12”. Or the Jensen speakers in the others I posted. Or is it splitting hairs?
 #168040  by Jturbide

Depends on your preferences. I don't think one is in fact better or worse. Some speaker overdrives easier than other for example which some might prefer some might not.
Also, the differences might not be so much noticeable at low volumes.
 #168050  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:18 pm It would make his thread MUCH easier to read if people didn't copy the previous post, then copy the copy, then copy the copy of the copy, etc. It's beginning to look like a long email string.
:shock:

This is the only forum of any kind that I participate on where, when you quote the guy before you, the software drags along with the prior guy's post everything he's quoted, too.

But happy to oblige nevertheless. 8)
 #168056  by TI4-1009

Everything you need!

SMS w/ JG mods
Mac 50
JBL 10 & 12 Ks

#168064  by Bigfoot Co.

Searing75 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:36 pm The ‘65 Princeton 1X12” is all the headroom you will need, and it sounds great. The Deluxe will be way too much amp.
Big +1
I’d also recommend a used 65 ri Princeton reverb. If I’m reading the room right, What you are looking for is the sound from the classic fender preamp. the more recent silverface Reissue amps (the 68s) are voiced differently. You can find a used 65ri for 700-900. This would also eliminate the immediate need for a reverb pedal, which I think you have been considering in your other thread. See, This amp is so rad it saves you money! In any case, good luck In your search !
 #168066  by Hitime

I would go for a sms with jg mods for pre amp and a amp like.quilte r ,mosvalve,or even a carvin,and one jb l e120 you should be able to do this for very close to 1000$, the sms is a tube preamp that is totally jerry tone right out of the box very lightweight and compact ,for a good example of a sms in action listen to terrapin flyer s Josh olken on YouTube the sms is a killer pre just like a fender . You already have been getting a decent guitar and all the effects you want and need why play through a little fender you have not skimped on your gear so far .to me you seem like you want stuff ready to go right out of the box that's why I say the sms .if you look around you can find one used ,I just saw a complete rig sms,amp,and jb l for sale on be musicians forum Facebook ,or try a wanted ad on here, I have sms,and twins that are nodded for it tone ,the sms is a professional price of equipment that won t let you down and very easy to use
 #168067  by rugger

From your list I would get the '65 Princeton with the 10" speaker. It's probably the most popular choice and will be easier to move along if you decide you want to try something else.

Not on your list, but something to maybe consider would be the Twin Reverb reissue. Sure it's "too loud" but there are lots of threads on the Gear Page full of people praising the tones at any volume. Plus, you're not gigging and don't have to haul it around so weight is less of an issue. Sounds like you're putting together a nice size room to play in and like to play loud from time to time. Twin seems to fit the bill.

Good luck with your choice!

john in san diego
 #168070  by LazyLightning72

As always continued thanks to EVERYONE!

I was looking at some Reissue amps several weeks before getting the new guitar. I’m pretty sure they were all 2x 12” and in the 85w range. One I found was a 1991 (iirc) ‘65 Twin Reverb Reissue, for $600.

I think it’s my OCD, but I really don’t like buying used. I realize I could miss out on great deals, and even the occasional rare piece of gear. It just concerns me, hard to explain.

Then some of the responses said that some are too much amp. Which brings me to the question, To much amp in what way?

To much as in its overkill for what I’m doing, or to much because at the volume levels I’d probably play at, the amp wouldn’t really hit its stride tone wise? Or a combo of both. If it’s, just overkill, I’m not necessarily worried about that too much. If it’s going to affect how well the amp performs, well that’s a different matter entirely.

Having only played through 3 tube amps randomly over the years, and only owning SS amps myself, I don’t know the answer to that question.
 #168071  by lbpesq

Too heavy. Too loud. Unnecessary.

While I admittedly don't have experience with the Twin re-issue, I have played through many original Blackface and Silverface Twins. I also played through a Blackface 1960's Pro Reverb with JBL D-120s (AMAZING 12" speakers - the Holy Grail) as my main amp for 15-20 years. Why don't I still play the Pro Reverb? Too heavy, too loud, unnecessary. And the Pro Reverb is only 40 or 45 watts watts! (I've seen both claimed).

A Twin is a bear to move compared to more modern amps. More importantly, they really need to be cranked to sing like they can. A great amp for large rooms and outdoor gigs, especially back in the day when all the sound the audience heard came from your amp. These days, they just mic your amp and put it though the PA. 85-100 watts just isn't necessary anymore. And, unless you have a significant hearing loss, are a masochist, or are trying to get evicted, you will never use that power in a bedroom or home studio setting. IMHO the amps you have listed are far more compatible with your stated purposes than a Twin.

Bill, tgo
TI4-1009 liked this