#167872  by LazyLightning72

I’m sorry if this is not posted in the correct spot, but I wasn’t sure how to categorize the question outside of equipment discussion.

I got out my acoustic last night and the fretboard has completely lost the “luster” for lack of a better word that it had when I first got it.

I’m pretty OCD about keeping my stuff clean, and my gear is no exception, so it’s kinda like a needle in my brain seeing and feeling it like that. Also, nothing so bad as cracks, it’s just dry. My 2013 60s CV could use a little work as well.

I know some people swear by certain products, like Lemon Oil (which I always thought was a cleaner, not conditioner) or even just plain distilled water.

Both the 60s CV and the Fender acoustic have rosewood fretboards, but my new Eastwood Wolf is Ebony, for future reference.

What’s the general consensus (if there is one) on what to use, to condition them?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
 #167873  by Jon S.

I swear by Fret Doctor. If not Fret Doctor, use a quality bore oil like Roche-Thomas.

I wish I'd taken a before pic to show you but here are after pics of my latest application of Fret Doctor to the Brazilian rosewood 'board of my '86 PRS Custom, of which I'm the original owner. It was looking washed out beforehand. Fret Doctor really brings out and darkens the Brazilian rosewood's naturally beautiful and varied hues.

LazyLightning72 liked this
 #167875  by LazyLightning72

Thanks guys!

I’ll do a little research, on these to see if they work on all fretboard types and give one or both a try.
 #167876  by lbpesq

I use pure, food quality, lemon oil. This was suggested to me by the folks at Alembic. As I understand it, the lemon oil replaces some of the large heavy turpines which naturally evaporate as wood ages. Fingerboard cracks often start where these large molecules have evaporated. Ebony turpines are similar to lemon oil turpines. Lemon oil also leaves a nice natural feel. I use it both to clean the fret board and just to oil it about twice a year.

Bill, tgo
 #167878  by PurpleTrails

My friend Paul, who until his passing earlier this year was one of the preeminent guitar finishers in the country, swore by MusicNomad F-One oil.
 #167883  by LazyLightning72

lbpesq wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:37 pm I use pure, food quality, lemon oil. This was suggested to me by the folks at Alembic. As I understand it, the lemon oil replaces some of the large heavy turpines which naturally evaporate as wood ages. Fingerboard cracks often start where these large molecules have evaporated. Ebony turpines are similar to lemon oil turpines. Lemon oil also leaves a nice natural feel. I use it both to clean the fret board and just to oil it about twice a year.

Bill, tgo
I have some I believe and will also give it a try
 #167884  by LazyLightning72

Along with the lemon oil, I thought we had and my wife is going to have dropped off this week, I just ordered a few more maintenance items from Sweetwater. Included was some of the F One.

As always thanks a bunch!
 #167886  by Jon S.

This StewMac product also gets positive reviews.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... XdEALw_wcB
 #167891  by lbpesq

I’m hesitant to use anything on my fretboard without knowing the exact ingredients. “Fretboard Finishing Oil”, ”Formula-One Oil”, etc., doesn’t tell me what’s in it. I also stay away from “ Lemon Oil” that doesn’t list the ingredients as 100% pure lemon oil. Dunlop “6554 Lemon Oil” doesn’t list the ingredients, but does state on the label that it is harmful if swallowed, so I suspect it isn’t 100% lemon oil. I use food grade 100% from Boyajian.

Bill, tgo
 #167899  by Jon S.

I've been meaning, one of these days, to try therapeutic-grade rosewood essential oil on one of my fretboards (half an ounce is only $6.74). But Fret Doctor's been so effective at both oiling and darkening my 'boards I've figured don't mess with success.

https://www.bulkapothecary.com/rosewood ... ial%20oils

Last edited by Jon S. on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.