#167485  by Jon S.

Bear62 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:01 pm [ima] https://gratefulgregg62.imgbb.com/[/img]
I thought at first that the reason your pic didn't show in your post was because you mistyped your first "img" as "ima." Then I thought it was perhaps either or both because you added an extra space at the front of your URL as well as a extra backslash at the end. When I corrected those, too, and reposted it below, it still doesn't work.

But I may have the answer. For the link to work, you have to use the URL to your picture when you're viewing it "full size" by itself, i.e., not by right-clicking on the pic on your imgbb "album" page. Could this be the issue?
 #167486  by Jon S.

Interesting. From tdcrjeff's pic, though the angle of mine is different, the respective cabs for our two combos appear to be identical. Dan may have used the different cosmetics on mine because it includes the toggle for tweed circuitry/tones. Also, based on its moniker, I'll bet tdcrjeff's is running 6L6s versus my combo's 5881s.

#167488  by franklins_timmy

Thanks everybody, still not sure what I'm going to do. There's a good amount of info out there about the Lil Dawg, really positive too. Not much on Fyd Amps. Both are probably a safe bet & pretty similar but hoped I could see if one edged the other out a bit.
 #167489  by Jon S.

franklins_timmy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:08 pmThere's a good amount of info out there about the Lil Dawg ...
You've probably already searched TGP but in case not: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... &c[node]=3
franklins_timmy liked this
 #167493  by franklins_timmy

The Wonderdawg comes in 12, 25, 35, 50 watts running 6V6s or 6L6s. So I was thinking about 25 watts with 6l6s, sort of a Deluxe on steroids. Wanting to use it for the Strat, Wolf into Twin tones. Would that have enough headroom? Practice/jams, recording, occasional small live setting...
 #167494  by Bigfoot Co.

franklins_timmy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:08 am The Wonderdawg comes in 12, 25, 35, 50 watts running 6V6s or 6L6s. So I was thinking about 25 watts with 6l6s, sort of a Deluxe on steroids. Wanting to use it for the Strat, Wolf into Twin tones. Would that have enough headroom? Practice/jams, recording, occasional small live setting...
I think 25W 6L6 would be more than fine with regards to headroom so long as your bandmates are not trying to be The Who. Anytime I've been on a larger stage where the overall volume gets elevated, the amp should get mic'd. Then, between the output of the amp itself and my monitor, I can still hear what I want to hear as long as I stay in my "area."

I have a 76 Fender Deluxe Reverb (2 x 6v6 @ 22watts) that I have gigged with for years and years and it's been fine for me. Guitars are generally fender type / single coil pups > Deluxe Reverb > efficient speaker (K120 or Weber Cali). Plenty enough headroom for me, of course ymmv.

I like the fendery look of the inside of that Wonderdawg. I'd be curious if the builder would entertain the idea of a "half power" switch like what the Carr Rambler has.
franklins_timmy liked this
 #167502  by caspersvapors

Id also consider something from Allen, like the Encore. Theres a used one on GC right now.

http://www.allenamps.com/encore.html

This to me is a far better deal than the Wonderdawg, although Id want to check and confirm if thats a 1x12 and what speaker is in the amp:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-St ... gIEfPD_BwE
 #167503  by Jon S.

The last thing I would gainsay is that the DR is one of the ultimate small club amps as well as among the most recorded amps ever.

This being said, a couple of considerations.

The first is that Dead playing requires more clean volume and headroom on tap than many other genres.

The second is that many people feel DRs don't provide them with enough of either.

Don't take my word on it. Check out almost any guitar forum. You'll find frequent threads asking how can I get more clean volume and headroom from my DR. Suggestions will range from swapping out the 6V6s for 6L6s and rebiasing, upgrading to a more efficient speaker, replacing the tube rectifier with a SS plug in (don't try this on a vintage DR without first upgrading your filter caps unless you want to also lose a transformer), and upgrading the transformers. Those steps can not only get expensive but may still fall short of the amps' users' needs.

My personal recommendation to folks in this situation is to consider instead what I deem the most effective "mod": replace your DR with a VR (if anyone can find a thread where someone is asking how to get more clean volume and headroom from his VR, point it out to me - I can't recall one).

Bottom line: DRs are beloved for sound [double entendre intended!] reasons. One may work perfectly for you given your needs. Just be sure you mean it before you start plowing money and mods into yours chasing the more clean volume and headroom dragon.

But if you're set on upgrading your DR: http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/main/deluxemod.html
 #167507  by Jon S.

Not necessarily. What I am recommending is that you consider carefully upfront how and where you'll be using the amp, whether your drummer is hard-hitting or softer in attack, etc. If you're not sure, maybe borrow a pal's DR for a test drive before you commit.