#166832  by caspersvapors

Does anybody know if the single coils in Wolf were changed when Jerry got it back in late 77? To my ears it sounds quite a bit different than his tones in 73-74. Thicker, for sure, and less of that glassy beautiful thing he had in Winterland 74.
Perhaps they were switched to a hotter single coil?
 #166837  by TI4-1009

Since Jerry thought his pickups "wore out" and he changed them pretty regularly, I'd say so. Question is replaced in-kind, or different type.
 #166842  by caspersvapors

So I just got the latest Daves Picks release and if you look at the pic of Jerry on the back of the booklet, Wolf has single coil pickups with black covers! So definitely his pickups changed.
That explains what Im hearing.

In 4/12/78 looks like he either changes pickups again or changes covers, because theyre white. I hear that tone being closer to fall/winter 78 than 74.
 #166848  by PurpleTrails

caspersvapors wrote:So I just got the latest Daves Picks release and if you look at the pic of Jerry on the back of the booklet, Wolf has single coil pickups with black covers! So definitely his pickups changed.
That explains what Im hearing.

In 4/12/78 looks like he either changes pickups again or changes covers, because theyre white. I hear that tone being closer to fall/winter 78 than 74.
I came home to type the same thing! And looking at the height of them, I'd be guessing SDS-1's as well.

Also, really like the tone he got in the latest Dave's pick. Really meaty.
 #167208  by Pointclear

When Jerry got wolf back in fall of 77 it had sds-1 pickups, an effects loop, and a blaster. His fall 77/winter 78 tones are some of my favorites as well.
 #167245  by wfrobinette

Is pickups were changing quite often in late 77 until he got the tiger in 79. I mean he’s have different pickups from one show to the next.