#166749  by sugarinthegourd

I recently got one of these, and I’m finding it to be an excellent pedal for Jerry Mu-Tron sounds. It tracks really well with vintage style low output single coil pickups, which is often a problem with envelope filters. I read somewhere that it’s based on the Maxon AF-9, which seems about right given the way the thing sounds, although it’s not a straight clone as the controls are a little bit different.

I’ve owned a bunch of different envelope filters including the AF-9, Boss Touch Wah, Proton, Neutrino, all the way back to the original Mu-Tron that I bought used for the princely sum of $75 in 1988. The Mu-Tron was unbeatable when it was dialed in just right, but it was a PITA without an OBEL, and was not true bypass (the gain circuit remained in the signal path even when bypassed). The AF-9 was previously my favorite; I no longer have one of those in hand to compare this to, but based on my memories of it, I’d say the Mooer is at least as good, as well as being cheaper and smaller. It doesn’t go “down” and the filter settings are somewhat different, but the “Decay” control is a nice addition.

For Shakedown/Estimated/Fire type Jerry tones, set the Decay and Tone knobs fully ccw, the Q most of the way up, and play with sensitivity and Q until you nail it. (Will take about 5 seconds to do so.)

Try it if you’re looking for something like this, I am confident most folks here will really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Mooer-Audio-Enve ... uage=en_US

John