#164212  by mgbills
 Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Good Day to All,

If you are new to the GD gear quest I highly recommend spending some time building your own Strat. Jerrify it or Bobify it. It doesn't matter. An inexpensive MIM or other cheapy model can become phenomenal in your hands! Even if you've been on this board for years and never done this work. Try it.

I was looking at Waldo's Strat on the "Show us your Rack" thread. I myself have built & rebuild about 10 (or more) of these, and it's incredibly rewarding.

This is my main guitar. I've had lots of fancy guitars, and most nights this is the guitar I play. Like Waldo's it has all sorts of mods. Tigerized. shielded. Fancy caps & pots. Trem work. Ground work. Neck work. Fret work. Intonation work. Bridge work. Tuner work. Pickguard adaptations. You name it, and I've dabbled. This guitar is just exactly perfect and has been for 2 years...until I dream up the next thing. I've also done 2 versions on the Alligator theme with more versions in the works.

Right now I'm mentally working on a BeanOStrat (or StratOBean). TB pickups in a Stat. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to customize an aluminum swimming pool that also provides a connection point for the Stat bolt-on neck. I might just put the pickups in a custom pickguard first and give it a rip before attempting an extensive design mod. It may take me another year to get it off the bench.

My point is this. Get a cheap Stat and dive in. If you blow it, you're out $200.00. Give it to a teenager & maybe they might just become the next Juke Box Hero (Got Stars in his Eyes!) Soldering irons are cheap. Some way to test continuity is helpful. Solder wires to broken pots until you feel comfortable. Burn some shit up and have fun. Try building one as cheap as possible. Shield the cavity on a stock single-coil MIM & add a Waldo buffer.

Then ....add fancification as your hands & ears learn the language of playing style & tone.

Many many many folks who reside or visit RuKind have done this. It's only a suggestion, but many of us sure enjoy these projects.

Maybe others will post their FrankenBobStrats or FrankenJerryStrats. Maybe there is some fancy "Big Brown" FrankinPhil projects out there. I do not recall anyone modding a Hammond B3 or a Steinway piano, but I suppose that is also possible.

Peace :smile: :smile: :smile:
Gr8fulCadi, TI4-1009, Bigfoot Co. and 1 others liked this
 #164218  by TI4-1009
 Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 pm
Hear Hear! I resemble that remark. Excellent advice.

tcsned liked this
 #164224  by kurt eye
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 am
Nice Topic. I love that Strats are modular. They lend themselves easily to all kinds of mods. My first real guitar was a 2007 american tobacco strat that I pimped out with David Allen Voodoos, a series switch mod, a spalted maple pick guard, fancy tone knobs and a brass tone block. I sold it to finance by Troy Post Wolf, but I was just getting nostalgic about that guitar the other day. It wasn't straight up Jerry, but I really loved the harmonic resonance and chime of the brass tone block. My son will be "building" a strat as part of a school mini course. Unfortunately, they use a P.O.S. kit. It got me thinking I should build a real one with him as it would feed my hobby of trolling ebay for great deals on good parts.

tcsned, TI4-1009 liked this
 #164236  by dleonard
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 pm
Just the post I needed. I only own one electric, an American strat completely stock besides the blocked trem. I have been itching for a new guitar but time isn’t right to be shelling out a bunch for one. I’ve been kicking around the theory for a few weeks now that a Warmoth neck on a MIM body could be something worth trying. Moving closer to Frankenstratting. :wink:
 #164243  by mgbills
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm
Exactly. Don't like the Mightmite fretwork? Watch some Stewmac videos, grab some fret files & dig in.

Warmoth makes wonderful parts, but it's really easy to shop cool options until you have a $500 neck. I've done that at least 10 times and have yet to pull the trigger. I think the pictured Strat has a rosewood fretboard. And I know (by smart folks here on RuKind) that board should be maple or ebony. Some days...my OCD kicks up and I really want a bomber Warmoth neck. And I'm sure some workday when I'm goofing off I'll actually buy that neck. But I've played for 1000's of hours on this neck that came with the $250.00 guitar. Truss rod works great. Frets have been dressed & polished a couple of times.

FWIW...my first time out I Tigerized a Strat, and I really love that configuration. Some kind folks here helped me fix a mistake on the output jack. My son has that guitar now, and it's been converted to road worthy parts. In one conversion the crappy acrylic finish was looking poor, so I took all the hardware stuff off and he stripped and refinished that body into a tobacco burst. Looks killer. We bought a custom pickguard with modified pickup positions and now it's supporting a graphite neck that I finagled (not literally) from a fellow RUKinder. Tigerized Strat with graphite neck is Killer! Some day I'll re-fret that neck, because for me it's a little hard to create 7 versions of finger vibrato on small fret wire. But to do that I'd have to build another custom for my son and trade him for that model.

Fun and creative stuff to do, and if you've got the itch...it can easily be done. Some wise person once told me any construct of humanity can be figured out, because (after all) it was constructed by a human.

Me, I ponder trees. Trees are made of air. And that is mind-blowing. Plant a tree in a pot. If you weighed the soil every year of the trees growth you'd find there is almost no change in the mass of soil (provided you could remove it & desiccate it). That tree pulls it's biomass from the air. Whoa!
 #164246  by PurpleTrails
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 pm
I have two in suspended assembly. For one I picked up an unfinished warmoth roasted maple neck with an ebony board for around $200 on one of their special deals. While warmoth says that finish isn't necessary on a roasted neck, I'm going to lay some tung oil on it to keep it from absorbing oils from my hands. I really need to free up some time to deal with both.
 #164248  by tntawney
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 pm
I parted this together a few years ago. It was a unfinished swamp ash strat style hardtail from Stratosphere or Mighty Mite. I tried a celtic knot inlay before spraying on Nitro. The brass tailpiece was made by Brian at iocustoms. I cut my own brass input jacks and backplates. The wiring schematic I got from a website Scott Walked started (guitarmodder.com), but I think it is no longer there. The pickups are Voodoo 69s. I waited patiently to score a cheap american fender neck from Ebay. The whole process was fun trial and error.

kurt eye liked this
 #164249  by kurt eye
 Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am
tntawney wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 pm
I parted this together a few years ago. It was a unfinished swamp ash strat style hardtail from Stratosphere or Mighty Mite. I tried a celtic knot inlay before spraying on Nitro. The brass tailpiece was made by Brian at iocustoms. I cut my own brass input jacks and backplates. The wiring schematic I got from a website Scott Walked started (guitarmodder.com), but I think it is no longer there. The pickups are Voodoo 69s. I waited patiently to score a cheap american fender neck from Ebay. The whole process was fun trial and error.

Very Cool. I believe that is the first harmonica bridge I've seen on a strat. Do you know what brand it is? Also, what's that fourth knob?

I know we live in the #Me too era, but I just have to say that you and TeeJay have killer bodies. I love TeeJay's headstock too.
 #164250  by tntawney
 Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 am
kurt eye wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 am

Very Cool. I believe that is the first harmonica bridge I've seen on a strat. Do you know what brand it is? Also, what's that fourth knob?

I know we live in the #Me too era, but I just have to say that you and TeeJay have killer bodies. I love TeeJay's headstock too.
Thanks! The harmonica bridge I bought off of EBay. It was a cheap Chinese copy of a Kluson. It was super lame and had to replace the saddles. I would recommend just buying a JG Kluson Harmonica bridge and save yourself the headache. The fourth knob is a push/pull. It is a tone for bridge pickup and if you pull it up it selects the neck and bridge pickup together. I never use the bridge and neck together and if I did it over again I would just skip it. The bottom knob is the gain for the blaster
 #164251  by waldo041
 Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 am
someone should make us some small lightning bolt 2 jack plates! A little more room is really needed in there when you use the 2 jacks in the boat route. I love tntawneys plate approach! I actually shrink wrapped both of my jacks, lightly, to prevent anything shorting within that small shielded cavity. I dont remember anyone having a chrome one when i first got mine from the Awesome Brian Nalls!

~waldo
 #164253  by tntawney
 Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am
waldo041 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 am
someone should make us some small lightning bolt 2 jack plates! A little more room is really needed in there when you use the 2 jacks in the boat route.

~waldo
You would definitely need a cnc machine to do a thirteen point lightning bolt jack plate I think. I super glued a piece of brass in between two pieces of Lauan board and used a small Dremel band saw to cut mine. It definitely wouldn’t work for a bolt. I widened the boat route a bit with a pass with a router to fit the two jacks.