#162023  by strumminsix

So I have played this song a thousand times solo and with friends and we all seem to play it the same way. Recently tried play with JGB and OAITW and realized there's some chord change timing. Who's heavily internalized this tune and can give some insight into what's happening that I can't hear properly?
 #162025  by vwbob1974

Hi strumminsix. The timing of the chord changes are straight forward on the 1st and 3rd beats. What makes it feel more complex is that David, jerry and vassar are so same good they syncopate the timing around peters straight rhythm. David plays some very percussive rhythms accenting between the beats throughout the song while vassar is not accenting the 1 through a lot of the C/A section. When I was charting this out years ago I just had to block out all but Peter to get the timing of the changes and the right hand technique that Peter is using. The rhythm is a light touch but quick on the 73' version. Peter slowed it down in the later years. Oh and don't forget to alternate that bass note makes it that much sweeter. :)
Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
strumminsix, tcsned liked this
 #162027  by strumminsix

vwbob1974 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:04 pm Hi strumminsix. The timing of the chord changes are straight forward on the 1st and 3rd beats. What makes it feel more complex is that David, jerry and vassar are so same good they syncopate the timing around peters straight rhythm. David plays some very percussive rhythms accenting between the beats throughout the song while vassar is not accenting the 1 through a lot of the C/A section. When I was charting this out years ago I just had to block out all but Peter to get the timing of the changes and the right hand technique that Peter is using. The rhythm is a light touch but quick on the 73' version. Peter slowed it down in the later years. Oh and don't forget to alternate that bass note makes it that much sweeter. :)
Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.
Thanks so much. Will try that tomorrow.

Also the verse lines starting on the 2.

Good call on that alternating base line. Watching Jerry he also plays the intro single notes in the lower register. Then that 313 151 bass line is awesome.