Place for the rest of the music
 #160294  by tcsned

There's an old joke: how do you get a guitar play to stop playing? Put sheet music in front of him. How do you get a classical musician to stop playing? Take away the sheet music. My gig Saturday night proved the second part of that joke wrong.

We played a bar in downtown Roanoke last Saturday and this guy came in carrying a violin. Usually, when someone shows up at a club carrying an instrument it sends up all kinds of alarms but this guy was a violinist with the Roanoke Symphony and had just finished playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I don't think he had ever heard any Dead tunes much less played any. We had him sit in on Bird Song and Estimated-Eyes later on. I think it came out alright.

#160311  by tcsned

Jorge can really play and was super nice. I’m bummed that I didn’t get to make it to the symphony for the Sunday matinee. I’ll defin catch him the next time he’s in town.

I’m always up for jamming with folks but it’s always a mixed bag when someone shows up at a bar with an instrument but it sure worked out well.
ac4468 liked this
 #160312  by tcsned

ac4468 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm Very cool! Buffer or Blaster in the fiddle? :lol:
Lol - no buffer - someone got him a pickup for the second set Estimated-Eyes jam.
 #160314  by Gr8fulCadi

Job well done, Thoroughly enjoyed that!!

What’s cool is that when someone new steps in with you guys or any band in general, that everyone usually listens to each other’s playing especially well. Usually to hear what new vibe is being brought to the table and not to step on their space and Vice versa. Great space between all instruments up there.
tcsned liked this
 #160316  by tcsned

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm Job well done, Thoroughly enjoyed that!!

What’s cool is that when someone new steps in with you guys or any band in general, that everyone usually listens to each other’s playing especially well. Usually to hear what new vibe is being brought to the table and not to step on their space and Vice versa. Great space between all instruments up there.
I totally agree, we try to be good listeners all the time but familiarity tends to lead to automation which is, in turn, stagnation to improvisation. Everyone turned down and listened to what was going on. It's nice being conscious of leaving space.