#160058  by WokeUpDead

I'm wondering if anyone has used the k120 recone kit from soundspeakerrepair and how does it compare? I can see some blown k120's on ebay or even perhaps a blown 16ohm k120 but original cone's haven't come up lately.

Am I just as good getting a blown one and reconing it with their kit?
 #160059  by Blacklodgebob

WokeUpDead wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:28 am I'm wondering if anyone has used the k120 recone kit from soundspeakerrepair and how does it compare? I can see some blown k120's on ebay or even perhaps a blown 16ohm k120 but original cone's haven't come up lately.

Am I just as good getting a blown one and reconing it with their kit?
they need to have the vintage OEM recone kits - there is a place in texas last time I had some done. looking around for the contact info now, I think it was in dallas.
 #160063  by MattMan

Whenever I've thought about reconing myself, I find that I'm very apprehensive, especially after watching demos on YouTube. Soldering--ok; glue--not ok. That's why I use this guy, who has reconed K and E: https://www.facebook.com/spiralrecone/
 #160067  by WokeUpDead

I actually just went over there since they are in my town. I know there are some guys on here including milobender who have used their kits before. The owner, RIck, was as nice as can be and very helpful in that he tested 11 speakers I brought with me and answered my many questions about various speaker subjects. I ended up buying a recone kit for one of my K110s. The only thing they have available is the E110 kit that work for both the D and K's . It appears that all my 10 inch JBL's have been reconed with the E110 kit so I am going to go ahead and recone one of the blown K"s I have and put 2 reconed d110's and 2 reconed k110's in my super reverb.

He had a couple of D120's reconed with the e120 kit that he could sell me. I'm reading that this turns them pretty closely into a K120 so depending on the price he tells me for the D's I may just go that way for my twin. Now if someone actually has original OEM recone kits for the K's I would be interested in checking that out as he is going to try and hunt down some K's for me or I could buy one or two off Ebay. I'd prefer the oem kit for the K"s.

Does anyone have experience with D120s reconed with the E kit? I get that they won't sound like original D120s but do they still sound fantastic just a little different?

Edit: He also had an Altec 417B and a 417C reconed. Said they were $165 each. I haven't researched those yet but from what I've seen so far they are a fantastic speaker as well. Opinions?