#158776  by paulinnc

Anyone have any good wood suppliers for body blanks, laminates and boards? Specifically Purple heart and maple.
 #158785  by TI4-1009

I got the purpleheart for my Wolfish from theses guys. Very happy with it.

http://www.exoticwoods.com/home.php?cat=69

#158840  by augustwest1

If you're looking for solid lumber, you should be able to find PH at any real lumberyard (not Home Depot). Same is true of curly maple, but you're gonna have dig through a pack to find boards that are suitable for guitars, and you'll be lucky if you only have to do that at your first stop.

Quilted maple, much tougher. Ebay is one source -- seems to me that "r_woodson" is the most reliable source (putting aside the fact that everything he/she sells is described as "awesome 5a quilted maple," when some of it clearly is not, although some of it definitely is).

Northwest Timber ("twtimber.net") also is a great source, but they have so much stuff available, it can be overwhelming. I've found that picking up the phone and talking to them is the path of least resistance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "thin veneer sheets," or why that appeals. You can find standard thickness maple veneer a ton of places, including "Certainly Wood" in NY. They also have standard thickness PH -- which you cannot find many places -- in stock most (but not all) of the time.

If you want dyed veneers for inlays, or other amazing veneers, there's no better place than my friends at "B & B Rare Woods" a couple miles north of Red Rocks.

Happy digging!
 #158841  by ac4468

Ditto to augustwest1. Purpleheart's easy to find. Figured maple takes some time searching through the stacks at a good supplier for the right piece or paying 3-4 times as much to buy the perfect piece online or through eBay.
paulinnc wrote:I just ran across this site, looks very promising for thin veneer sheets.

http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/
The veneer sold here really isn't "thin veneer" 1/16" is a thick veneer. Typical thickness for veneer can be from 1/28 - 1/40th of an inch. If you can't resaw your own then certainly wood is a great resource.
 #158949  by paulinnc

Veneer sheets cut down on a lot of resawing and planing. I've had some luck with my local woodcraft store.
 #158950  by kurt eye

Your wood pile can be a source of beautiful wood. Last year I cut up a grapple load of logs only to find upon splitting it that I had just turned about 200 board feet of beautiful tiger striped maple into chord wood. :oops: I bought this chainsaw "mill" and vowed never again would I cut maple logs into firewood with out first checking for figuring. This a cherry log I made some boards from.

#158953  by softmachine72

I am going to let you guys in on a little trade secret. For curly and Quilt go to Pine creek woods in Oregon. Great prices! Also that sawn log looks good but it is hard maple and very heavy. I am sure you already new that .
 #158957  by kurt eye

softmachine72 wrote: Also that sawn log looks good but it is hard maple and very heavy. I am sure you already new that .
Its actually cherry. Its hard to tell from the picture.