#158665  by nuthatchwinters

hello all. just curious if the silver face twin mods are posted somewhere on here and I've just missed em or they are now being kept under wraps. I think I did see a few posts were it was indicated that they used to be easily accessible at the incomparable mr walds websight but have since been taken down from there for reasons I completely understand. hope I'm not reigniting a sensitive topic here, just have not had any luck finding them and really would like to get my amp done right. thanks
 #158671  by Jon S.

If you do some simple internet word searches, you'll quickly find many comments like these in the public domain that may assist you (just sharing FYI - I'm no tech):

* I just saw on a respected sources website that Jerry's Twin had .022's in the tonestack instead of the normal .1 and .047. (Imagined Days)

* .022s in the mids will keep more mids around than some of the other higher value capacitors commonly used in fender amps, and .022 in the bass will cause the bass frequencies to drop off at a higher value and lose a lot more overall bass than the .1. So, theoretically, .022s seem to make sense for jerry (more bass cut and less mid scoop) (Stevo123)

* it is by no means a secret mod, others have done it. using the duncan tonestack calculator, and the known jerry twin settings, show a pretty identical curve between the stock values and the .022uFs. the difference being the sharper bass rolloff with the .022uF's. (Mike Wald)

* Just got my twin back from the tech with all the healy mods done and played a farm gig over the weekend. YOW! Talk about clean power and clear highs and lows. (JB Arnold)

* Let me suggest a place to start: First, in addition to changing all of the caps, you will want to change all of the plate resistors for non-inductive metal film versions. Also change all of the cathode resistors and use tantalum capacitors for the bypass caps (I use military grade axial lead versions). This, especially for steel, will greatly improve the high frequencies yielding the pure and clearer bell like tones. (JB Arnold claiming to be quoting Healy)

* I've done most of the mod that JB quoted except for the non-inductive metal film plate resistors. That's next. The other mods were amazing. I've never heard a Twin so open and sweet and clear and hi-fi before. The steel just sings thru it. (Brad Sarno)

And there's probably a lot more interesting ideas out there you could test to see if you like them if you care enough to poke around.
 #158672  by nuthatchwinters

thank you for the detailed response Jon S. I think I did see a few of those on steelguitarforum or something, I believe it was actually linked from here. I would say those are some reliable sources. thank you
 #158675  by Jon S.

All I did was Google something like twin reverb mods for Jerry tone and find what everyone else in the world will if he or she does the same.
 #158677  by nuthatchwinters

right. my guess would be there is alot out there but finding the actual correct mods from reliable sources and not b.s. and hearsay is the tricky part. just saying thanks by the way, no need for the condenscending stuff.
 #158691  by Jon S.

Unbelievable how easy it is to be misunderstood on the 'net.

If I told you all that went down here concerning these basic TR mods, nut's, it would burn off both your ears. My public domain and related comments were not directed to you whatseover.

You're welcome.
 #158696  by TI4-1009

nuthatchwinters wrote: just saying thanks by the way, no need for the condenscending stuff.
Geeeeeze. :roll:
 #158697  by Jon S.

TI4-1009 wrote:
nuthatchwinters wrote: just saying thanks by the way, no need for the condenscending stuff.
Geeeeeze. :roll:
It's OK. The problem, really, is with medium (when it's just words on a screen with no accompanying facial or body language, vocal inflection, or deeper context, intentions can be readily misconstrued).
 #158698  by Bigfoot Co.

You might also try searching terms like "twin reverb Healy mod." I have not done any mods myself, but there seems to be some info available through those search results. Best of luck.