#157076  by GeneralGoldilocks

Hey there, anyone have any opinions on this amp? I wonder how it compares to the velocity 300? I'm thinking of eventually going the FYD or SMS preamp route for the exact right preamp tone and need a SS power amp. I've been doing my research and since this a newer product, I haven't heard many reviews. I would love a Mac, but don't want to deal with the hassle of owning and caring for a piece of electronics history when i'm just trying to play some music. I would love a mosvalve mv962, and will probably go that route, but I would like a new amp for reliability.
 #157265  by GeneralGoldilocks

I guess that one was too new for anyone to have tried it. Anyone have experience with the JBL UREI 6215? It is suppossedly made with good components for general power amp purposes.
 #157266  by Tennessee Jedi

GeneralGoldilocks wrote: I would love a mosvalve mv962, and will probably go that route, but I would like a new amp for reliability.
Seems like the mosvlves are getting more expensive every day

Love mine
 #157284  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I don't think the Mosvalve is a great sounding amp. One of my day jobs is running an audio mastering studio. We've tried all kinds of power amplifiers in here. Even for a couple years I enjoyed a Mac Mc250. But when I tried Mosvalve 962 and also a 500, they were ugly, harsh, high THD, unpleasant, generally just kind of a lo-fi power amplifier. For guitar that's not always a problem, sometimes the lo fidelity and grit can be musically advantageous. I've heard good pedal steel guitar tones with the MosValves, but for Jerry guitar tones, I just could never handle the harshness. I find the results that I've heard from the Rocktron to be warmer, more clean and more musical. The Mac obviously is a rich, warm, clean sound and has a nice distortion when gently clipped. But I just couldn't make the Mosvalve work for that sweet, mild, full-power clipping that we require for a good Jerry tone.

My 2-cents, NOT a big fan of Mosvalves for Jerry tones.

B
 #157285  by Searing75

The closest tone I have ever gotten from a power amp to the mac is a Carvin DCM200L. It's incredible really. Great, big, clean tone. I have an MC50, but have back issues, and the Carvin only weighs 4.5 pounds or so, an honestly, I can't tell much of a tonal difference. I do however notice that I have been more inspired by my tone with the Carvin. Perhaps at 100w it's a better match for my K120?
 #157334  by GeneralGoldilocks

Thanks for the input, guys, I really appreciate it, especially Brad. Class D is tempting, I believe that is what the Carvin DCM 200L is? I have read Brad's posts on the steel forum and there seems to be some folks leaning towards class D there, and there is a popular class D amp there that the steel players like, but I can't remember it...... The quest continues for the perfect power amp that isn't a McIntosh, obviously nothing can replace that......
 #157344  by MattMan

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I don't think the Mosvalve is a great sounding amp. One of my day jobs is running an audio mastering studio. We've tried all kinds of power amplifiers in here. Even for a couple years I enjoyed a Mac Mc250. But when I tried Mosvalve 962 and also a 500, they were ugly, harsh, high THD, unpleasant, generally just kind of a lo-fi power amplifier. For guitar that's not always a problem, sometimes the lo fidelity and grit can be musically advantageous. I've heard good pedal steel guitar tones with the MosValves, but for Jerry guitar tones, I just could never handle the harshness. I find the results that I've heard from the Rocktron to be warmer, more clean and more musical. The Mac obviously is a rich, warm, clean sound and has a nice distortion when gently clipped. But I just couldn't make the Mosvalve work for that sweet, mild, full-power clipping that we require for a good Jerry tone.

My 2-cents, NOT a big fan of Mosvalves for Jerry tones.

B
Hmm. I've had a different experience with MV962 and have been able to get it sound very close to my Mac MC2100 for situations where it wasn't convenient to set up the Mac. Here's a clip where my Jerry tone cuts through the mix quite nicely I think. Maestro Twin > MosValve > K120:

Here's an audio clip from a show with the Maestro Twin > MosValve > K120: https://soundcloud.com/mattman-36671833 ... al#t=12:36