Place for the rest of the music
 #156547  by playingdead

Okay, another "this day in Grateful Dead history" posts ... but as a guitar player, I have always felt this show is grossly overlooked. The link to the full show is below, but here are three snippets that any guitarist can certainly appreciate from this night early in Brent's tenure -- and a real nice audience recording, too, on headphones, you are there in the arena.

Jam out of He's Gone: This is the only time I have ever heard Bobby and Jerry literally playing twin lead guitar lines in harmony together ... just a fantastic few minutes out of the "nothing's gonna bring him back" outro, where Phil goes from the E to the 5th (B) in the bass and it takes off from there, which leads to a frentic Truckin' (with TWO intros) ... but it's the interplay between Garcia and Weir there that is the jewel. One of my all-time favorite Grateful Dead moments and one you may not have heard before.

Click and listen, it's worth it:

https://soundcloud.com/vicderobertis/hes-gone-jam

Jam out of Truckin': We all know the familiar chromatic interplay riff right off the end of the vocals, which goes three times higher and higher and ends with the huge Phil bomb, right? Except this time, Phil misses the first bomb ... so they jam it around again into this incredibly frenetic Other One-tinged interlude that leads to this supercharged peak peak PEAK and then we get the huge Phil bomb ... which leads to a whole series of them, where you can hear Phil basically overloading the PA and shaking the rafters.

https://soundcloud.com/vicderobertis/truckin-jam

Jam out of Wharf Rat: Here we are leaving Wharf Rat, and out of nowhere comes an echo of that peak peak PEAK from Truckin' ... which hits into Around and Around, except Weir won't sing it, so they do the intro three times and Weir launches into Sugar Magnolia.

https://soundcloud.com/vicderobertis/wharf-rat-jam

The entire second set is worth a listen -- a great China Rider -- this was when it was reintroduced into the repertoire and it was a big deal when they played it. Sweet He's Gone with that great jam. And Sugar Magnolia really rocks the house down. What a great show. Wish it existed in a soundboard but the audience is real nice.

https://archive.org/details/gd79-05-09. ... -fixed.shn
 #156548  by rugger

Nice little write up. I love stuff like this. Thanks Vic!

I definitely have not stumbled on to these gems yet and will give a listen this weekend.

Happy Friday everyone!

john in san diego
 #156549  by TI4-1009

They played the Broome County Aud three times and I was there for two of them, so I might have been there? Lost in the fog of 40 years ago....
 #156550  by lovetoboogie

Thanks Vic...

I spooled up the Rolfe audience of this show and it's shaking the rafters of my house right now...
 #156553  by Searing75

Awesome stuff. Very energized and aggressive. Love when they would chase that maddening peak. A little discordant here and there, but it's the attempt that matters! I have never listened to this show. It reminds me of moments in their Cape Cod Coliseum show in 79'.
 #156554  by mgbills

Google tells us '70, '77, '79 & '83.

1983 for me. Day before my birthday. Help>Slip>Frank.

I'll have to go have a listen and see if it's good ....while I use the Grabba to add Vic's recommendation to the collection.

Thanks Vic!
 #156560  by TI4-1009

70 was at Harpur (SUNY Binghamton)- legendary show.
 #156561  by Jon S.

Missing this show while in college at SUNY-B was one of my greatest errors. I foolishly thought completing a term paper was too important to justify catching the show. So it went on a mile from me while I typed. Oh well, at least I caught 5-8-77 at Barton Hall!

#156565  by mkaufman

mkaufman wrote:Great show. One of my favs.

However, don't forget the exceptional China -> Rider. I think it's the first time they played it since 1974 except for the one-off on 12/29/77.

Ace

Oops... after re-reading, I see you mentioned China Rider. I love the jam...lots of interplay.
 #156577  by mgbills

Whoops! Thanks T.