Chat about Equipment Info
 #15579  by ker1227

I think that i am very stingy on my picks and strings, maybe im lazy or maybe becuase im a poor college student, either way i was just wondering when picks and strings are ready for pick and string heavan?? Also what types of picks and strings do you all use??
If anyone can answer the same questions for a banjo aswell that would be awsome :smile:

#15580  by strumminsix

To me when I can't get my notes to pop with a fresh pick it's time to replace the strings. Conversely if I can't my notes to pop with fresh strings it's time to replace my pick!

Kidding, sorta.

When picks lose their tips or are permanently curved, adios.

When my notes sound bland or the strings get rusty or stained time to change the strings.

When I'm gigging regularly I was changing strings every other week. Now that my projects are slow, every month. When gigging heavy weekly.

#15581  by tigerstrat

New set of strings for every single show I play, unless the rare case of having two on the same weekend. In times when we have no booking for a few weeks, I allow the strings to get quite old and dead-sounding (not in a good way!). Purchase by the case!

Picks: I lose them wayyyyyyyyyy before they can wear out.

#15582  by Chief5959

Picks change when I lose one. Then another one comes out of the box. When the flat is cleaned all found picks go into the box. Since I use the side of the pick sometimes a pick will go off because it is chipped. Then it goes into the bin and we will meet whent he roll is called. Strings maybe every two months. I do go through periods where I like old strings because they lose some of that brightness and jangle. That phase leads to when they just thunk and then it is time for a change.

#15583  by Dozin

Pyramid Flat Wounds light gauge. Love them, slippery smooth. I leave them on for a very long time. They last for quite a long time.

I bought a new Ibanez and what's pissing me off is I'm breaking strings left and right. $20 something dollars for a pack of strings that's not good. Anyone have this problem with new guitars?

I also use the Dunlop Jazz I picks,.. sorry man, Weir got me hooked.

<~~~can this be changed, Bruce?

#15586  by strumminsix

Dozin wrote:
I bought a new Ibanez and what's pissing me off is I'm breaking strings left and right. $20 something dollars for a pack of strings that's not good. Anyone have this problem with new guitars?
Yes I have, sadly... Likely your nut, bridge or saddle has a sharp section. Take it to a good tech and have him or her find the problem.
Dozin wrote:
It's by post count and changes.

#15604  by JONZILLA

For acoustic I use those new "D'addario bluegrass phosphor bronze" strings. They come with the high E, B, and G strings in light. And the low E, A, and D in medium. And they're cheap! For electric I love Elixir polyweb custom lights. Tortex picks. The thin red ones. Yep. Change strings approximately once a month. But I have to get high E strings in bulk. Due to chronic broken strings from trying to take it just a little too far...

#15610  by wisedyes

Strings get changed when they need it. Once they lose their feel, lose their tone, and won't stay in tune, they have outlived their usefulness.

I use the small Dunlop Jazz III picks, and Medium Cool Picks for acoustic playing, so they never go bad. Just change them when I lose one.

Over the years, I have definitely gravitated towards different strings for different guitars, as well.

Alvarez acoustic - Elixir mediums
Simon&Patrick acoustic - Ernie Ball Earthwounds
Fender Strat - D'Addario 10's
Yamaha Image ( like a Les Paul Double Cutaway, or a PRS ) - Ernie Ball Super Slinky 10's
Yamaha AEX1500 Martin Taylor Model ( small bodied awesomely versatile jazzbox ) - Pyramid Flat Wound mediums or D'Addario 12's.

#15631  by Darkhorse014

i use martin strings for acoustic, i dont know the gauge, but there just like the regular.

i use earnie balls super slinkys for electric

jim dunlop's super heavy picks for me

i just play em till the break with strings(unless they sound shitty), and till i lose em with picks. im in a band but we havent had many shows lately, but when we do, i change em.....

Peace and love
Rory

#15647  by jjbankhead

on my ibanez i have ernie balls they are the orange pack i believe they are the heavy/medium gauge for electric

and i have Ernieball mediums on my takamine g series.

i like thick gauge strings but havent experimented much with different brands.

I play w/ really thick picks so they tend to last me for a while, i play with a 1.15- 1.25 thickness, I lose more than i ruin (as most people have stated already) as they turn up around the house i put them in my little box for picks, tuner, capo, bottle neck etc...

i replace my strings as often as i can afford... thats not a good thing, but i am not gigging or even jamming with anyone right now so its no biggie..

#15661  by BigJilm

Dozin wrote:Pyramid Flat Wounds light gauge. Love them, slippery smooth. I leave them on for a very long time. They last for quite a long time.

I also use the Dunlop Jazz I picks,.. sorry man, Weir got me hooked.

Funny u say that, when i first got my ibanez RG i kept breakin my E all the time, but now i dont think iv broken a string on it in nearly a year

#15662  by BigJilm

o yea, n i use the pink Ernie Ball light gauge strings, n sumtimes d'addarios (sp?). But the last pack of strings i put on it were a brand id never tried that my uncle got for me. GHS, bright tone, not bad. N when i use picks ive been usin first acts.

#15663  by BlobWeird

I use the Ernie Ball Fat bottom Skinny top strings. Definitely diggin em. And I use a Heavy pick. I never really have to replace them though.

#15664  by kevo

BlobWeird wrote:I use the Ernie Ball Fat bottom Skinny top strings. Definitely diggin em. And I use a Heavy pick. I never really have to replace them though.
Fuck yes man. I've fallen in love with these after picking them up a few months ago for the first time.

As for changing them, well I try for every 3-4 weeks or whatever I can afford.

Picks are Dunlop tortex jazz picks, think they might be 1mm, and as stated numerous times in this thread, I rarely buy them, I just lose/find them.

#15665  by BlobWeird

btw I didnt mean I never have to replace the strings I meant my picks. Strings I replace once every 2 months about. I dont gig or nothin so yeah.