#154941  by jkstraw

TRG wrote:
TRG wrote:This is an old thread, but for those that are using digital sheet music solutions is the gigeasy, Onsong and Ipad still a solid way to go? Also, if using an Ipad, do you find that you need the 12" screen or does the 9" screen suffice?

Thanks!
Bump - just wondering if anyone has any insight that they could share...?
I'm still using OnSong on a 2nd Gen iPad, AirTurn (when needed), and a hercules mic stand holder. I don't use the Airturn much anymore - but the iPad and holder are at all of my jams and gigs. No failures yet (knock on wood)
 #154960  by jkstraw

TRG wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys! What do folks use for the initial scanning of the sheets into the Ipad?
I use exiting stuff - ie. The Jerry Garcia SongBook or copies of the rukind transcriptions

Garcia songbook is here: https://deadstein.files.wordpress.com/2 ... online.pdf (I use a download plugin to suck each tab/chord sheet individually for easy importing)
 #154966  by Lunchbox16

I recently ditched my 3 ring binder and bought the OnSong app for my iPad. I love it. It took about a week or so to get everything loaded and formatted how I wanted it (and there are still some songs that need additional tweaking), but adding new stuff is really fast and easy now that the bulk of everything is done. I've only got about 350 songs loaded in mine now. Editing is fast and easy, and there are a ton of other features that make it the most worthwhile purchase I've made recently. Custom display formatting, automatic key/capo transposition, auto-scroll, foot pedal compatible, create setlists and custom styles for specific setlists or song collections - I know I sound like a spokesman for the app but I really love it that much. I'd highly recommend it. I know it can import PDFs if you have those, but you lose a lot of the dynamism that the app offers.

Also, I'm using this mic stand attachment: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT1E3K2. For the price point and the fact that it holds devices on all four sides (i.e. more secure) I don't think you can beat it.
 #154989  by zambiland

jkstraw wrote:
TRG wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys! What do folks use for the initial scanning of the sheets into the Ipad?
I use exiting stuff - ie. The Jerry Garcia SongBook or copies of the rukind transcriptions

Garcia songbook is here: https://deadstein.files.wordpress.com/2 ... online.pdf (I use a download plugin to suck each tab/chord sheet individually for easy importing)
I just checked out the Garcia songbook. Pretty useful in general, but rife with mistakes, especially when it comes to lyrics.
 #154999  by brbadg

Lunchbox16 wrote:I recently ditched my 3 ring binder and bought the OnSong app for my iPad. I love it. It took about a week or so to get everything loaded and formatted how I wanted it (and there are still some songs that need additional tweaking), but adding new stuff is really fast and easy now that the bulk of everything is done. I've only got about 350 songs loaded in mine now. Editing is fast and easy, and there are a ton of other features that make it the most worthwhile purchase I've made recently. Custom display formatting, automatic key/capo transposition, auto-scroll, foot pedal compatible, create setlists and custom styles for specific setlists or song collections - I know I sound like a spokesman for the app but I really love it that much. I'd highly recommend it. I know it can import PDFs if you have those, but you lose a lot of the dynamism that the app offers.

Also, I'm using this mic stand attachment: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT1E3K2. For the price point and the fact that it holds devices on all four sides (i.e. more secure) I don't think you can beat it.

So you manually entered the info for each song? Or did you copy/paste it?
 #155028  by Lunchbox16

Well I already had charts for each song that I did myself. Usually I take stuff I find on the web and tweak it accordingly, add an actual chord chart for quick reference, etc. So the bulk of the work was already done. I did spend some time tweaking the charts as I figured out more of the app's features and used it live.

For example, I just bought a huge book that has all of the charts for The Beatles entire catalog. I'll write out charts for the songs I want, and save those in a text file on my computer. Then I'll copy that chart into OnSong and tweak it for the app interface. That part only takes a few minutes per song and isn't a ton of work. Most of my time is spent creating the actual charts, especially now that I have most of my songs in there already.