#154938  by brbadg

Well ,I couldn't see it that well! How about a closer shot of it? I did like the playing a lot!
I dont need everything to sound just like Jerry,I just need those ""feel good"" notes!
How about a little insight on your rig?
 #154947  by chipperj

Hopefully this works..... 1st time I've tried this.

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/chipj ... sort=3&o=0

Pretty interesting build on this one. Completely on the cheap.
It's the 4th one I've done, after 2 Strats and an SG, but this one is mostly a product of just parts:

Squier body, that I stripped all the paint off of.
GFS neck - $40!
Good tuners- Schallers
Good bridge- Callaham
Gibson 490/498 Humbuckers in the neck/bridge
DiMarzio Super Distortion in the middle (pulling the master tone pot splits this one)
Wald buffer
OBEL

Does it feel like a super expensive custom guitar? Nope.
But it's got something...

My pedals:
TC Elec. Tuner, Fulltone Clyde Wah, Sarno Earth Drive, EH Soul Food, MXR distortion+ clone that I built from a kit, a twin Tube Screamer clone built by a friend, Boss RT-20 Rotary Spkr, and a Strymon El-Capistan delay

My Amp(s):
Heavily moddded '69 Fender Deluxe Reverb. All new iron to run 6L6s, at about 35 watts (instead of 22). Further tweaked by Shakedown Amps.
Has a JBL D120
Or...
Sarno SMS (Garcia mod) into a Rocktron v300 (Still hoping for a Mac one day).
I run that into a SSP 2x12 with 2 JBL K120s

(Sometimes I run the Deluxe into the SSP cab)
 #154963  by tcsned

Sounds awesome, chipperj! I love Teles and it works perfect for GD music IMHO. (~);}
 #154981  by BJolley

Sounds great. Interesting that Jerry never took to the Tele as a main guitar for any time to our knowledge as it seems so well suited to his playing style. My backup guitar is a 2001 Fender Nashville Tele MIM with splittable Super Distortion in the middle. So simple and yet so fun to play.
 #154983  by PaulJay

I just picked up a '99 Nashville Deluxe Tele. I am very happy with it. It has Dimarzio true velvets in the neck and bridge and a Tex mex strat pickup in the middle. Thinking about changing the Tex mex to something else, not sure what.
 #155002  by BJolley

PaulJay wrote:I just picked up a '99 Nashville Deluxe Tele. I am very happy with it. It has Dimarzio true velvets in the neck and bridge and a Tex mex strat pickup in the middle. Thinking about changing the Tex mex to something else, not sure what.
PaulJay, before settling on the splittable Super D, I used the stock Tex-Mex strat -- which was really low output and not good with the envelope filter. I then swapped in a Dimarzio SDS-1 into the middle position. This was hotter and made the guitar feel alive, but also sounded "darker" than I wanted. I then bought a new pickguard and routed for a middle humbucker (my body has a middle/neck swimming pool route, so no body routing was required) and installed a splittable Super 2 in the middle. That ended up sounding too thin in the alder body. I then put in the Super Distortion (which is the same as the "Dual Sound" Dimarzios used by Jerry in late 70's early 80s before switching to Super 2s). That seems to be the right pickup for me in that guitar. The Super 2, on the other hand, was subsequently used for a walnut body Tiger style build and sounds great with the darker, heavier walnut.
 #155008  by PaulJay

Thanks for the info. Looking for something brighter than the sds-1 too.
 #155839  by Free Jazz

I'm interested in recommendations to replace a Duncan 1/4 pounder bridge pickup in a Tele. This guitar has HB's in the middle and neck - Super Distortion in the middle, tapped. I should add that blending the bridge with the middle is an unexpectedly fantastic tone that I'd hate to lose. But as a stand-alone Tele bridge pickup existing in 500k HB territory, it's now very thin. I was hoping to maintain a single-coil Tele bridge pickup, but on the fat side and with more output.
 #155853  by MikeInMarin

Sounds great and love the guitar. I currently have 3 low-budget teles (one is a schecter PT with a fender neck, one is a standard I built with a bigsby and a mexican neck, and one is a road worn with a humbucker in the neck and upgraded custom pups meant to sound like Keef's Macawber).

You've inspired me to consider adding a DiMarzio with splitting and a Waldo buffer into one of them.

I know from many of the GratefulGuitarLessons.com videos that Seth has a great Jerry tone going from his tele. Just goes to show how much of it is really in the playing and a minimal amount of hardware (at least as far as the guitar is concerned...the amps/speakers are a different story.....hahhh.)
 #156058  by aiq

PaulJay wrote:I just picked up a '99 Nashville Deluxe Tele. I am very happy with it. It has Dimarzio true velvets in the neck and bridge and a Tex mex strat pickup in the middle. Thinking about changing the Tex mex to something else, not sure what.
Just traded in my Highway 1 for a Nashville Deluxe, noiseless PUs in all three slots.

2 and 4 def give legit Strat sounds and 1, 3, and 5 are TeleTown.

Haven't spent but about four hours plugged in but a fun guitar.