When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #152441  by Stella Bloo

Sadest day of my life yesterday. I had to put my 15 year old dog down. It was heartbreaking and I am crying still as I type. What was amazing is the songs that were on Sirius in the car ride. I put the dog in the car and Brokedown Palace was playing, then Black Peter. I was crying so hard. Once my girl passed, we got in the car to drive home and Ripple came on. It gave me so much comfort. Almost as someone was watching over us. Thank you boys, for giving me those songs.
 #152442  by lightningbolt

Putting a pet down is incredibly tough,,,,my sincere condolences on your loss.

The Dead's music has been like a warm comfy old blanket that has given me much comfort throughout my life.

Two marriages, 4 kids, pets, parents, friends....but I got into the dead when I was 11....I am 50 now and the longest relationship I have had has been The Dead and their music.

Of all the relationships I have had....it is the one that has never disappointed me,

It is always there to comfort and bring a smile.......
 #152447  by Dozin

I agree, a pet is one of those emotions that pull at the heart strings. There was an angle that had your back tho. Perhaps wearing glasses, missing a finger, wearing a black T and feeding you those tunes. Hold on to that and the great memories of your friend.

I feel for you
 #152449  by tcsned

Sorry for your loss though I'm glad you got some comfort from the Good Ol' Grateful Dead. Music is powerful stuff to soothe the pain, remember the good things, and to appreciate the present.
 #152451  by elroy2288

I'm so sorry for your loss, too. It is the most brutal part of the pet deal. I felt so guilty after the first one and met a dog whisperer that said that the dogs are not freaked about death like we are and that they know every choice we make, including the final humane one, is made out of love. That was helpful to me.

I agree that the GD have helped in the toughest of times. A friend recently said it's like a religion, although in the most ideal way. So many feel like they were adopted by the music and the community, as I do. My wife and sons ask why I see so many GD-related shows and I say that it's the one place I feel absolutely no judgment and where I feel I am surrounded by my tribe.

Peace,
Andy :smile:
 #152452  by FrettyBoy

Very sorry you have had to deal with this.

Ship Of Fools has always been one of my very favorite Dead tunes.

10 years ago, while on spring break during his 1st year of college, my son and two of his friends drowned while boating late one night at a party. Needless to say, it became very hard for me to perform or even listen to SOF after that. I persevered though, saying "this event WILL NOT take this song away from me". I played and listened to it many, many times over the years with tears streaming down my face before I could play the tune with some separation from the pain of that event. This became a very cathartic, and healing endeavor for me.

The music of the Dead, and many others of my favorites, speaks to me on a very deep emotional level. Music is a very comforting, and healing resource that I can't imagine my life without be it happy times or sad.

Fred